Post by Johno »

Alesis nanoverb
plesiosaurus

Post by plesiosaurus »

avj wrote:
plesiosaurus wrote:
kim wrote:
keep in mind the volume drop on these !
I haven't noticed a volume drop on my Holy Grail Plus?
I've also not noticed a drop on my Holy Grail Plus. From memory, I think things do get a little quieter (relative to the bypass signal level) after going past the 50/50 mix position, but I think it's an intentional design point. If, at 100% wet, the level of the initial attack was as loud as the bypass signal, I would think it'd end up being much louder as it reaches its peak and starts decaying.

I was borrowing a friend's Holy Grail Plus while awaiting a new tank for my '73 Vibrosonic, and I loved it so much I snagged one on local CL. I contemplated the Cathedral when it came out, but I was worried that I wouldn't make great use of its many features. As it is now, I mainly use the Vibrosonic's reverb for a very subtle spring and use the HGP for a pretty over-the-top hall sound.

One word of warning with the Holy Grails -- new and old -- is I've read they really don't play well with daisy-chained power. The HGP does not take batteries and seems to work fine and noise-free with the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and several other Boss and EHX-supplied standalone 9V center-negative adapters.
Golly I hate to be contrary, but I haven't noticed any problems with my HG+ on my onespot, and I actually notice a volume boost when the blend is past 3 o clock. Just trying to supply another data point, I guess.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

i wasn't talking about the holy grail plus but the normal holy grail. there IS a volume drop on the regular holy grail.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

a volume drop is normal with pretty much any reverb if you are doing it 100% wet.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
shae
teh koolsie

Post by shae »

BOSS RV3.

DEW IT.
daphne blew krew
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

that's another plus of those cheap behringers, my dd400 even with the effect on max and direct on minimum there's no difference in volume, i tired their reverb and it's also like that. but the holy grail's spring reverb does sound much nicer. the reverb on my fender stage hundred in a box would be a dream...but impossible lol stick a reverb tank on your board.
hugh

Post by hugh »

electricsparkle wrote:
hugh wrote:I'm waiting for PGS to get the cathedral back in stock. They're pretty expensive, but I'm a reverb guy, don't like delay much.

I have one and its a relly good reverb pedal. I'm in love with it :oops: :lol: . All the modes, the infinite reverb tap, saving presets, the delay, the dedicated tap tempo....I'ts so cool and no artifacts that I'd heard
:wink: :wink: :wink:

I bought it from woodbrass in France for 148€!
Hey man, if you have the time/means, I would really really really like to hear a clip of the reverse reverb at 100% wet. And with some dirt too maybe?
I've searched high and low for a good clip of the reverse, but it's always blues dudes doing the same thing.
\m/ (^_^) \m/
jumbledupthinking

Post by jumbledupthinking »

hugh wrote:I've searched high and low for a good clip of the reverse, but it's always blues dudes doing the same thing.
Sadly, I think this statement can be applied to pretty much any gear demo :lol: That's actually what led me to this fine site in the first place...found the unthinkable on youtube (people doing no-nonsense gear appraisals without any of the near-obligatory pentatonic wankery). The fact that I love shortscales (my jag is my favourite guitar hands-down) is just a bonus really.
hugh

Post by hugh »

jumbledupthinking wrote:
hugh wrote:I've searched high and low for a good clip of the reverse, but it's always blues dudes doing the same thing.
Sadly, I think this statement can be applied to pretty much any gear demo :lol: That's actually what led me to this fine site in the first place...found the unthinkable on youtube (people doing no-nonsense gear appraisals without any of the near-obligatory pentatonic wankery). The fact that I love shortscales (my jag is my favourite guitar hands-down) is just a bonus really.
Blues sounds so much worse with reverse reverb/delay. I just want someone to get their MBV on, is that too much to ask?
\m/ (^_^) \m/
electricsparkle

Post by electricsparkle »

hugh wrote:
electricsparkle wrote:
hugh wrote:I'm waiting for PGS to get the cathedral back in stock. They're pretty expensive, but I'm a reverb guy, don't like delay much.

I have one and its a relly good reverb pedal. I'm in love with it :oops: :lol: . All the modes, the infinite reverb tap, saving presets, the delay, the dedicated tap tempo....I'ts so cool and no artifacts that I'd heard
:wink: :wink: :wink:

I bought it from woodbrass in France for 148€!
Hey man, if you have the time/means, I would really really really like to hear a clip of the reverse reverb at 100% wet. And with some dirt too maybe?
I've searched high and low for a good clip of the reverse, but it's always blues dudes doing the same thing.
Sure, no problem, I try to do it in the next days, dirty, clean and muffuzzier :) . ¿What kind o recording you want? ¿Mic or line in in stereo from the Cathedral?
George

Post by George »

Line6 Verbzilla
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

plesiosaurus wrote:
avj wrote:
plesiosaurus wrote: I haven't noticed a volume drop on my Holy Grail Plus?
I've also not noticed a drop on my Holy Grail Plus. From memory, I think things do get a little quieter (relative to the bypass signal level) after going past the 50/50 mix position, but I think it's an intentional design point. If, at 100% wet, the level of the initial attack was as loud as the bypass signal, I would think it'd end up being much louder as it reaches its peak and starts decaying.

I was borrowing a friend's Holy Grail Plus while awaiting a new tank for my '73 Vibrosonic, and I loved it so much I snagged one on local CL. I contemplated the Cathedral when it came out, but I was worried that I wouldn't make great use of its many features. As it is now, I mainly use the Vibrosonic's reverb for a very subtle spring and use the HGP for a pretty over-the-top hall sound.

One word of warning with the Holy Grails -- new and old -- is I've read they really don't play well with daisy-chained power. The HGP does not take batteries and seems to work fine and noise-free with the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and several other Boss and EHX-supplied standalone 9V center-negative adapters.
Golly I hate to be contrary, but I haven't noticed any problems with my HG+ on my onespot, and I actually notice a volume boost when the blend is past 3 o clock. Just trying to supply another data point, I guess.
No offense taken, and hooray for more data points! My comments about the daisy-chained power were based on anecdotal evidence I ran across while researching noise issues I had with an HGP I was borrowing (which turned out to be genuinely defective). I also was going purely from memory with the "quieter past 50/50" statement, as I have pretty much stuck to one setting and haven't dicked too much with it. I planned on confirming these statements, but I haven't had a free evening moment all week.

Also, sorry Kim for completely misreading your original warning about volume drops. Perhaps the HGP and XO Holy Grail have addressed this by giving a boost past the 50/50 mix as plesiosaurus has seen.
Dingus

Post by Dingus »

Just wanted to add that there absolutely was a volume drop in my Holy Grail (original model), it bothered me so much I got rid of it. Good sounding unit though. My favorite reverbs come from rack processors unfortunately (Yamaha SPX-90, Alesis Midiverb II, Alesis Quadraverb Plus...)

It's made it so I pretty much can't go back to using a pedal although that Cathedral pedal is tempting....

I do also enjoy the Yamaha Magic Stomp 2 that I bought to get a Yamaha Reverse Gated Reverb (Yes I am an MBV fan) in pedal form, I need to get that sucker into a TB loop though cause of it's always active "Level" control.
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

The Neunaber Technology Wet reverb pedal is really nice. That guy Burgerman666 has a few good demos of it on youtube.