Fender Malibu.

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

DanHeron

Fender Malibu.

Post by DanHeron »

I've been looking at getting a better steel string acoustic for a while and just found this, the Malibu SCE.

The body is small, which i like. Its a slightly odd shape, the body looks like it a put a bit of weight on below the soundhole, but i think i like it. I'm sure it helps give it a slightly warmer sound too. I also like the electric guitar style neck and headstock (C shape , 24.75" scale). B&B neck!!!

Anyone played one? seen one? Heard one? Non of the shops near me seem to sell them so i cant try one out :/

Also, for £100 less there is the Malibu CE. Looks identical besides the neck - no binding and has dot inlays. And the electronics are Fender rather than the Fishman electronics in the SCE. Its only £199, (SCE i have seen for £292) so maybe a better value guitar?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It looks like a slightly stretched out dreadnought, but it's far too thin.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

The necks look amazing... why can't they do this more frequently on mid range electrics ?
& also maple and black B&B necks ??.... heck, they even do that on the Squier vint modified basses... so why not on regular range ?

anyways... sorry to distract slightly. The few Fender acoustics I've played have always felt quite cheap and boxey sounding... but it has been quite some time since I've played one. I used to think the same about the mim strats but the QC is really good nowadays.

I reckon it'd sound pretty good plugged in at least... and you'd prob get your moneys worth out of it.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

very cool guitars, but they don't sound real great for the money. it sounds like a skinny acoustic. i had a sonoran sce and it's basically the full bodied version of the malibu. it sounded great, but i traded it for stuff i needed more.

play it play it play it, is all i can say.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I'm not a fan of the malibu, it sounded very thin and almost ukelele-esque. The Sonoran isn't much more expensive and it's 10,000 times better in my opinion.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

hmm ok. I guess that is always going to be a problem with a small bodied acoustic.
brambleperro

Post by brambleperro »

I have one, and I'm not a great fan, either. I wish I'd spent more time playing it before I got it. I was really excited about it when I'd first tried since it's rather unique as a Fender shortscale acoustic, but the more time I spend with it, the less and less I like the neck. It's not wide enough for an acoustic guitar. I'm quite fond of narrow necks on electric guitars, but it doesn't quite work with this one. Also, in the 2 years I've owned mine, the neck has bowed quite a bit.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I have never been a huge fan of electric necks on acoustic guitars. Two very different types of necks.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
suede

Post by suede »

If I ever buy an acoustic guitar it would be this one...
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the trash
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

though I think the fender 6-on-a-side headstock looks horrible on an acoustic, if I ever buy an acoustic it will be a thin mid-rangey one like this. I hate how dreadnaughts sound all boomy.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

taylornutt wrote:I have never been a huge fan of electric necks on acoustic guitars. Two very different types of necks.
it's not an electric neck on an acoustic. i'll go out on a limb and say you've not played one.

the malibu necks are more similar to electric necks than the sonoran's, kingmans, or any of the other California series acoustics, and i've only been able to liken it to a MIK toronado. bulky, but extremely thin for an acoustic neck, and definitely not an electric neck.

sonorans and kingmans have huge tele-deluxe like necks. not classical-gargantuan, but uncomfortably big for my hands, while simultaneously maneuvering the jumbo body.

the finish is very nice on the california stuff, but fender has been trying a bit too hard to fill that "dreamy surfer boy seducing chicks at the beach party" niche. i'm sure they succeeded.

and it's weird, i think they're all 25.3".
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

In general, I'm not a fan of Fender acoustics... oddly, I'm not a fan of Fender guitars in general... despite owning three (always loved the less popular models ie. shortscales and they make some of the best basses, but their bread and butter, eugh). Generally I find Fender acoustics to be too thin sounding, and too expensive for the quality.

You can probably find more comfortable, fuller sounding guitars, even with solid tops, for a similar price point. The divisions of Godin making acoustic guitars are a good example, imo (Seagull, Art&Lutherie, Norman, LaPatrie, Simon&Patrick).

That said, I haven't played this specific model, and some Fender acoustics are pretty keen; it could be a gem.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm just gonna have to try it first, compare it to other models at the same price point. It is very cheap though, the CE especially (£199) which i assume sounds exactly the same as the SCE when played acoustically.

This looks cool too: http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/acoustic/1829-3740_small_body_l_model_electro_acoustic_guitar
clarkbar

Post by clarkbar »

i played the blue version and i hated the neck, i don't know how to explain it, i just didn't like it. the tone was very dissapointing and not very full at all. (nothing like the seagull i bought.) and the body felt too thick for me.
i had high hopes as i like the general style with the strat headstock but its just not for me.

can't speak for the sonoran im afraid.
yes, thats clark...like the candybar...
clarkbar

Post by clarkbar »

i played the blue version and i hated the neck, i don't know how to explain it, i just didn't like it. the tone was very dissapointing and not very full at all. (nothing like the seagull i bought.) and the body felt too thick for me.
i had high hopes as i like the general style with the strat headstock but its just not for me.

can't speak for the sonoran im afraid.
yes, thats clark...like the candybar...