Corrosion of Conformity sound

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

LorteMidget

Corrosion of Conformity sound

Post by LorteMidget »

Hey guys. If anyone of you know about the band Corrosion of Conformity, and know the album "Deliverance" then maybe you can help me.
I'm looking for the guitar sound of that album, because it's about the best sound I've heard from a guitar! Of course It's shouldn't be exactly the same, but something like that. Just need to know which effect pedals I need (I know it's a distortion pedal, but some may do the job better than others).

I'm using an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, and a Line6 Spider II 150W amplifier. I own two distortion pedals: Marshall Guv'Nor, and a BOSS Mt-2 (Metal Zone)
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

A good idea here would be to find a couple of youtube clips with the sounds you like and then post them here. That way someone unfamiliar with them has quick access and can help you.
Shabba.
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

I am not sure exactly what tuning they play in but most of those bands get most of their sound from tuning down. try tuning down to D and if that isnt cutting it tune to C. I know Sleep plays in C and I think Electric Wizard even tunes lower. I know myself have tried different distortions and things before trying to get a similar sound and usually I can get a great heavy sound like them by just tuning to C and pushing the amp.
LorteMidget

Post by LorteMidget »

That might be right..

[youtube][/youtube]

Kinda like the solo in this song, The tuning is D
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

I am pretty sure he talks about the tuning in this video of lessons and I see here he uses a tubescreamer but I am sure most of that heavy sound just comes down to tuning http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/410/
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

coc are cool

lots like orange goblin
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

Orange Goblin is so awesome. I love that album Time Travelling Blues. I like that acoustic bit at the end of it where they are all too stoned to play it right hahaha.
LorteMidget

Post by LorteMidget »

SpaceFace wrote:I am pretty sure he talks about the tuning in this video of lessons and I see here he uses a tubescreamer but I am sure most of that heavy sound just comes down to tuning http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/410/
Is the only overdrive pedal Pepper uses a Tubescreamer? Or is the "Small Stone" dist. too? Cause a Tubescreamer can't make that dist. all by it self!
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

i go in and out of stoner/sludge phases (well haven't smoke pot since high school but that's not what i mean, i mean the music genre obviously :P )

then i want to sound exactly like them too and do these amazing guitarsolos and swing rythms and then realise i'm only good for punk. lol

some favs:

church of misery (their wizard convention video really impressed me, so modern and so 70's at the same time)
electric wizard
boris
sleep

but so many obscure bands too, i listened to this band again recently, it's my fav song by them
[youtube][/youtube]
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

The small stone is a phaser. I really dont think he uses anything besides that tubescreamer honestly its just tuning. Tuning to C = instant heavy. I tried looking elsewhere for any other info and I do not see anything else besides that. Plus those amps he plays through are probably being pushed hard enough to distort anyhow. I know when he plays with Down its the same thing, he is tuned down and playing super fucking loud.
LorteMidget

Post by LorteMidget »

SpaceFace wrote:The small stone is a phaser. I really dont think he uses anything besides that tubescreamer honestly its just tuning. Tuning to C = instant heavy. I tried looking elsewhere for any other info and I do not see anything else besides that. Plus those amps he plays through are probably being pushed hard enough to distort anyhow. I know when he plays with Down its the same thing, he is tuned down and playing super fucking loud.
Yeah, that might be it.. He could use a distortion effect from the amp maybe?
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

Nice, I have never heard that Iron Monkey band before but I like it alot. I still think the best stoner band is Kyuss hands down. Blues for the red sun and welcome to sky valley (kyuss) are just perfect albums.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

tune to C, heavy strings, a booster pushing amp on the distortion channel or if it's single channel push it more with a booster i guess, add fuzz to taste to push it some more. that's a starting point, when you get sick of that you'll get more picky looking for a specific sound, specific pickups, fx, amps, spend money, and never find the ultimate setup and be statisfied.

ever.
:P
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

and agreed on kyuss. though i don't like garcia's vocals i get sick of them quick but the the instrumental side of things is fucking awesome. blues is also my favourite album of them, that opening track alone....goosebumps.
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

kim wrote:and agreed on kyuss. though i don't like garcia's vocals i get sick of them quick but the the instrumental side of things is fucking awesome. blues is also my favourite album of them, that opening track alone....goosebumps.
Yeah I hear ya, it took me a while before I could actually get over his vocals, now I like them alot. Check this video out, he sits in with QOTSA and they play "thumb". He fucking kills it in this video I think though I wish I could hear the vocals a little clearer.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Small Clone is actually a chorus
Bill Oakley

Post by Bill Oakley »

I would wonder if most of the sound is the Mesa 50 Caliber? I agree they have a great guitar sound. I've always liked it. Well, on the newer stuff anyway. That older punkish stuff was pretty bad if you ask me. I still listen to Blind all the time. It never gets old for me.
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

cobascis wrote:Small Clone is actually a chorus
Right and the small stone is a phaser.
SpaceFace

Post by SpaceFace »

Bill Oakley wrote:I would wonder if most of the sound is the Mesa 50 Caliber? I agree they have a great guitar sound. I've always liked it. Well, on the newer stuff anyway. That older punkish stuff was pretty bad if you ask me. I still listen to Blind all the time. It never gets old for me.
I am sure it has something to do with it but then again alot of those stoner bands typically have the same basic sound no matter what amps they are using which leads me to believe it probably has more to do with the tuning. But still you are right it probably does have a good deal to do with the sound I would imagine.
LorteMidget

Post by LorteMidget »

Well, I have replaced my 0.09 strings with 0.11 strings, at that helped with the sound A LOT! only thing is that It's my old squier guitar :b My main guitar has floyd rose equipped, so.. If i just had a humbucker on that squier i think it would help the sound even more!

thanks for the help