Delay with tap tempo?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

johnnyseven

Delay with tap tempo?

Post by johnnyseven »

I'm on the market for a delay with tap tempo so I can easily control the speed of repeats in time with the songs i'm playing. I'm not after anything expensive or complicated but it would be nice if the pedal could self oscilate or repeat infinitely with the feedback max'd like a Boss DD3 does. Can anyone advise of any pedals that are available that will do this?
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

Taylor704

Post by Taylor704 »

Memory Boy + small external tap tempo switch?
Yes.
Haze

Post by Haze »

behringer dd600n yo, fifty bucks, external tap tempo, sounds good. only complaint i had about mine was it added a bit of background hiss but nothing noticeable in a full band setup
willlin

Post by willlin »

Behringer DD400 has a tap tempo mode. It's a cracking little pedal at the price. Mine was about £20
Last edited by willlin on Sun May 09, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ac88

Post by ac88 »

Boss DD-6 delays are pretty cheap now. I use the tap all the time and its great. My only complaint is the glitchyness of the tap tempo when using reverse delay, a setting which seems to almost require a tap to use properly.
Bill Oakley

Post by Bill Oakley »

I just built something exactly like what you described. Isaac on here has it right now. He's had it for a while now and I haven't heard from him. Isaac? He's supposed to be doing a video for you guys here. Actually, if you guys think this is spam. Remove it and I apologize.
George

Post by George »

I've got a marshall echohead and use a tap tempo with it. Pretty cool except you set it by going tap tap tap but then you have to hold down the pedal for it to work. If you don't hold it down the pedal is essentially switched off. So if you want delay you have to stand with your foot on it the whole time.

Do not recommend.
Haze

Post by Haze »

ac88 wrote:Boss DD-6 delays are pretty cheap now. I use the tap all the time and its great. My only complaint is the glitchyness of the tap tempo when using reverse delay, a setting which seems to almost require a tap to use properly.
The problem with the DD6 is that the tap tempo isn't available externally, all you get is the one build into the pedal which requires holding the switch down for two seconds then tapping then holding again if you want to turn if off. It can get complicated and might get you into trouble if you're trying to change tempo in the middle of a song.
A lot of people seek out the DD5 for this reason, it has an external tempo jack! the new dd7 has one too though but its a bit more expensive and the same price as a Nova Repeater.
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

Bill Oakley wrote:I just built something exactly like what you described. Isaac on here has it right now. He's had it for a while now and I haven't heard from him. Isaac? He's supposed to be doing a video for you guys here. Actually, if you guys think this is spam. Remove it and I apologize.
haha sorry Ive had it for so long bill, been using it a lot actually, but ive got around to doing a demo for it so ill get it back to you this week. Yeah honestly for just a delay with tap tempo I would recommend this pedal, it has an extremely expansive modulation system that is great. I love it and hopefully you will see the demo of it soon.
Mike wrote:Welcome to like 2005, you bleeding idiot.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I was looking at that Marshall pedal. If you use an external footswitch can you use the tap tempo without having to stand on the switch on the pedal?

Other than the annoyance of the tap tempo how do you rate the general delay sound?
Bill Oakley

Post by Bill Oakley »

No problem Isaac. I've just been missing it. The Boss delay I've been using just doesn't do it for me. I'm actually building one for Jeremy right now. I have everything board mounted now to get rid of that spaghetti wiring in there. 8 pots and 3 switches is a lot of wiring!
George

Post by George »

johnnyseven wrote:I was looking at that Marshall pedal. If you use an external footswitch can you use the tap tempo without having to stand on the switch on the pedal?

Other than the annoyance of the tap tempo how do you rate the general delay sound?
You can only use the tap feature with an external pedal. Sorry thats what I meant if it was unclear. But yeah, you have to tap the external pedal then stand on it to engage the delay, if you step off the tap pedal the delay is effectively off. Maybe my echohead or tap pedal are faulty?

I'm not a huge delay user but the Hifi, analogue and reverse are pretty good, and they go mega cheap on ebay. Good bang for buck. Worth trying out at least.
Taylor704

Post by Taylor704 »

GeorgeF wrote:I've got a marshall echohead and use a tap tempo with it. Pretty cool except you set it by going tap tap tap but then you have to hold down the pedal for it to work. If you don't hold it down the pedal is essentially switched off. So if you want delay you have to stand with your foot on it the whole time.

Do not recommend.
My Echohead doesn't do that :S The tap tempo worked without holding down either footswitch (I only tried tap tempo with my amp footswitch, never cared for it)
Yes.
George

Post by George »

Ahhh, I would wager its the Yamaha vol/sustain keyboard pedal I bought from a car boot then :\
chisa

Post by chisa »

echohead works perfect with external tempo switch. either with the delay on or off you can tap in a rhythm
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

doesn't do the oscillate thing though

for that

i'm selling one of these, no tap tempo though but such warm delay and great oscillation
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Thanks for the offer for the red repeat but I already have a Maxon AD999 so am covered on the analog front and what i'm really after is something with tap tempo and will repeat for ages with the feedback maxed. I'm getting increasingly interested in the Marshall Echohead, can anyone give me review, good or bad?
Taylor704

Post by Taylor704 »

johnnyseven wrote:Thanks for the offer for the red repeat but I already have a Maxon AD999 so am covered on the analog front and what i'm really after is something with tap tempo and will repeat for ages with the feedback maxed. I'm getting increasingly interested in the Marshall Echohead, can anyone give me review, good or bad?
I really love mine, it's a really great delay pedal at such a great price. There (supposedly) used to be some reliability issues and people got scared but tmine has held up well. The Hi-Fi mode is a great digital delay that doesn't sound sterile at all, analog and tape echo are both brilliant also. The multi-tap mode isn't particularly to my taste but for the odd thing it does sound good. Reverse is very cool when used, and the Mod Filter adds a phaser to the delayed signal.

Stereo outs (including trails on the 2nd output) with a tap tempo, at a good price. Love mine.
Yes.
chisa

Post by chisa »

[youtube][/youtube]