Cases...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Phil O'Keefe

Cases...

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

What do you guys use for cases? I recently purchased a 71 Compstang from a fellow forum member, and it's a great guitar, and even came with the stock gray case... but I need a case for my Duo Sonic, and frankly, I'm not that impressed with the old style gray cases in terms of padding, etc.

I'm just curious about options and what everyone else is using...
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

when i took the brostang to the shop to get it wired up, i had nothing else to put it in, so i tried it in my strat case. was a bit snug, but basically dropped right in.

i have this one in tweed:

i love it. cheap, and pretty sturdy. even though the brostang is gone, it's the home away from home for my strat.

LINK
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I use a tweed one I picked up years ago, the padding wore away from the neck support so i put foam there and duck taped over it 8) and now its fairly good.

I want to pick up a proper flightcase at some point for my JJ Electra though. I might pick one up when I get a new guitar, depends if I get something old or not and if I have any money left over.
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I was in a band that was playing 2-3 shows a week and embarked on 3 tours from '01-'04, and the cases that held up the best for me were those ugly molded SKB cases and the modern hardshell Fender branded cases (I think they're currently made by G&G according to the markings inside). I've had a few cheapo cases over the years, and they've always fallen apart. Either the padding inside came loose, the hinges took a dump, the latches stopped latching, or the handle came out. The SKB cases I've owned have always held up and look almost new still. The Fender cases are functonally fine, but do show wear easier.
1,2,3, Pull Out!

Post by 1,2,3, Pull Out! »

I say go with tweed. Just because it's so damn snazzy 8)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I have an AV reissue tweed case that came with my strat (and also use with my teles), Gibson LP case which came with that guitar, TKL cases that came with my acoustics (2), and an Epiphone LP case I got with an Epi LP I bought off some dude. Need shortscale case.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Hiscox's Liteflight for all my guitars when I'm travelling, other than that I just use gig bags.
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

1,2,3, Pull Out! wrote:I say go with tweed. Just because it's so damn snazzy 8)
I've got a tweed G&G case that came with my '99 AVRI 57 Strat RI, and it is a great case... but finding G&G Mustang / Duo Sonic cases is kind of hard, and they're not terribly inexpensive... but if I was going to have them build me one, I'd probably opt for cream tolex with brown leather ends and a red plush interior...
kypdurron

Post by kypdurron »

Somebody has such a G&G / Fender Mustang case at all? I always wondered if there is a difference to a strat case in width and height. If not, a just as decent Strat case can be had much cheaper (even a G&G one) ...

Also thought about buying a vintage Mustang case - but they are not too cheap either and don't offer much protection I thought when I saw one in person.
ChrisFFTA

Post by ChrisFFTA »

Hiscox do a Jaguar/Jagstang specific case... might fit the Duo Ok

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/standardguitar_hiscox.htm
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

kypdurron wrote:Somebody has such a G&G / Fender Mustang case at all? I always wondered if there is a difference to a strat case in width and height. If not, a just as decent Strat case can be had much cheaper (even a G&G one) ...

Also thought about buying a vintage Mustang case - but they are not too cheap either and don't offer much protection I thought when I saw one in person.
The dimensions on a Mustang / Duo Sonic II / Musicmaster II are definitely a bit different than a standard Strat - they are just a touch longer from end to end overall, and the body shape / width is also different. You might be able to just barely cram a Mustang into a Strat case, but it's not really a "perfect" fit.

Yes, the old Victoria cases that they sold for Mustangs (gray exterior / orange interior) are not the plushest in terms of padding and protection... and yes, G&G makes Mustang sized cases...
Leisureclub

Post by Leisureclub »

I ordered a custom case from G&G, they required a cardboard outline of the guitar but it was really cheap otherwise, like 170USD IIRC. Other than the fact that they don't take credit cards and are sort of living in the 70's as far as transaction/shipping practices go, I'd recommend them completely. The folks there are super nice, the case came quicker than expected, the quality is great. I think it looks awesome and would provide enough protection for really anybody. If you're touring all over the world, maybe not but thats probably it.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

I got a hiscox jaguar case and simply cut foam to the shape of the top of my mustang and taped it in. It seems to be pretty sturdy. And after dropping my mustang down a flight of stairs in the hiscox case, without the guitar going out of tune, i recommend them highly.