Butch Vig Goodness

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

lank81

Butch Vig Goodness

Post by lank81 »

Some clips of Butch Vig talking about the recording of Nevermind:

In Bloom

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Polly

Drain You

If this was posted already, sorry. I couldn't find it when searching.

If not, enjoy!
Peace & Chicken Grease
Skip

Post by Skip »

pretty darn cool-- except he used the word mournful too much-imo
I would have given up already if it wasn't for the impending revolution!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

if i had all these vocal tracks i would just sit around all day and cut all instruments and sing along with the harmony tracks on all of them. amazing stuff
dots wrote:incesticide
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thats really cool, I had no idea there were that many over dubs on that album.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

mrperson wrote:Thats really cool, I had no idea there were that many over dubs on that album.
Oh man, that album is nuts. There's triggered (synth) kick drums and everything. I never understood why Kurt was "embarassed" by it until we dissected the master tapes in a mixing class (for parts of SLTS, they came with a book) I was taking and realized it actually was "more like a Motley Crue session" (as kurt put it).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

paul_ wrote:
mrperson wrote:Thats really cool, I had no idea there were that many over dubs on that album.
Oh man, that album is nuts. There's triggered (synth) kick drums and everything. I never understood why Kurt was "embarassed" by it until we dissected the master tapes in a mixing class (for parts of SLTS, they came with a book) I was taking and realized it actually was "more like a Motley Crue session" (as kurt put it).
Yh its actually a pretty cool job, I admit the drums sound a little dated but they got a pretty live sounding album compared to all the equally over produced crap.
visitedspace

Post by visitedspace »

Nevermind, as iconic as it is/was, was insanely over-produced. We're talkin' over-production levels of the "Phil-Collins-would-be-proud" nature.

But heck, I still love cranking it up...but I'll never be able to re-produce the sound of Kurt's Jaguar overdubbed ad infinitum.
my amp goes to 11.
Mungodora

Post by Mungodora »

I never figured Butch used so many guitar tracks on some songs. Sounds pretty swanky I reckon.
I've kissed mermaids, rode the El Niño