another Vox Night Train thread.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

blacktaxi

another Vox Night Train thread.

Post by blacktaxi »

so does anybody actually own one of these?

i've been GASing for a small amp for a while now, and my other options were:
- orange TT (not versatile enough)
- orange DT (better than above, but too expensive)
- egnater [they have few models] (hate the blue led)
- jet city 333 (read mixed reviews on the net (they say it barely can do cleans), have no possibility to check out one in person, so i don't want to risk)
- blackheart (mostly because not available here)

also checked bugera v5 and v22 combos in a shop, didn't really like them. the reverb is piss, and v5 didn't sound really that good. also, blue pilot light :(

so i was thinking - Vox night train. would appreciate any advices and opinions. i'm looking for an amp for home use 99% of the time, i want to have clean and slightly driven sounds out of it, and it has to take pedals well.

thanks.
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I loved the Egnater Tweaker. Got to play it at Guitar Center and it sounded great. I briefly played the Vox Night train, but I wasn't blown away by it.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Zeezee

Post by Zeezee »

Are looking for a specific sound/tone? Those amps are all reasonably different in voice.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

Zeezee wrote:Are looking for a specific sound/tone? Those amps are all reasonably different in voice.
yeah, you're right. honestly, i can't exactly answer to this question. so far i know, that i like the sound of EL84s more than 6V6s, but this might be very subjective to take into account.

i find myself liking the clean-on-the-edge-of-breakup-type sounds most. i like crisp clear tones, and some crunch, think dinosaur jr rhythm tones on 2008-2009 albums. J Mascis uses Plexi AFAIK, so that would make me look for a plexi, but it's not an option, sadly enough :lol:

also, the nicest sounding amp i've ever played myself was fender vibroverb '63 RI, really great cleans from that one. i would probably try to get one for my bedroom (although they are too loud), but they are too pricey over here, just beyond my budget.

this vox night train + matching cab would cost me a bit over $800 if i'm lucky and get the discount. doesn't that suck?
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i don't imagine that i could squeak away with head + matching cab for much less than that. the best deal on a head was $375 on craigslist, and i was very close to pulling the trigger. i love those amps, as they've corrected everything i found wrong with the tiny terror.

EDIT: $700 for head + matching cab brand new from MF - Link

it's not orange, but damn does it look good.

blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:i don't imagine that i could squeak away with head + matching cab for much less than that. the best deal on a head was $375 on craigslist, and i was very close to pulling the trigger. i love those amps, as they've corrected everything i found wrong with the tiny terror.

EDIT: $700 for head + matching cab brand new from MF - Link

it's not orange, but damn does it look good.

so true. they also sound awesome on youtube demos. and the cab looks like 60's style TV :lol:

i probably will be getting this head and a blackheart 1x12 cabinet, it is cheaper and it's a closed cab, which i believe i prefer. can't really compare the speakers in Blackheart vs Vox cab, but from what i've heard on youtube they both sound good.

and valid point about price, i guess 800 for head+cab is really reasonable for ukraine.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

what kind of sane person doesn't like blue lights?!?!?!?!
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

they look really bad, and hurt my eyes. i mean, they are usually so bright that i can't stand looking at them, just can't get the blue light image focused in my eyes, they all appear blurry to me.

also: http://texyt.com/bright+blue+leds+annoy ... alth+risks
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

blue lights are somewhat of a weird thing for me as well, but i love them.

most amps nowadays have fender style bezels that can be replaced to whatever you prefer. if they're, in fact, led's, that's up to your skillz.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

hey guys, i'm going to pick this amp today, but the cab haven't arrived yet. is there a way to test an amp without a cab? if it even turns on? the user manual says "NEVER OPERATE THIS AMPLIFIER WITHOUT SPEAKER CONNECTED". which isn't a surprise, but i wonder if i can turn it on in standby and still be safe?

the cab i'm getting is Blackheart BH112, but it won't be here for few more days.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

you can turn it on into standby without speakers connected, surely. i'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to turn it on without a cab, but if the manual says so, it'd be the last thing i'd try.

glad you got it! can't wait to see a demo!
cleo

Post by cleo »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:you can turn it on into standby without speakers connected, surely. i'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to turn it on without a cab, but if the manual says so, it'd be the last thing i'd try.
I would not turn it on without a cab, you should never run an amplifier without a load. it can kill the output transformer/tubes etc.....
Why would you want to turn it on without cab?

Correct me if I'm wrong on the "killing output transformer story"
"Ain't no one going to turn me 'round."
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

cleo wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:you can turn it on into standby without speakers connected, surely. i'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to turn it on without a cab, but if the manual says so, it'd be the last thing i'd try.
I would not turn it on without a cab, you should never run an amplifier without a load. it can kill the output transformer/tubes etc.....
Why would you want to turn it on without cab?

Correct me if I'm wrong on the "killing output transformer story"
yeah, it think it's all true. AFAIK if there's no load connected, all current from OT will go to the tubes because output resistance is infinite, eventually "redplating" the tubes and damaging the transformer.

although, here some dudes say that it's safe to turn it on in standby, and it's almost safe to turn it on without speaker connected for short period of time: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk- ... ected.html

i'm not sure about this, i will wait for the cab i think :oops:
Haze

Post by Haze »

just wait, modern amps aren't built like the vintage stuff which had monstrous output transformers. If it were to be damaged by doing something that the manual strictly and plainly says not to then I'm sure the manufacture will not cover that under warranty.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

what i clearly said was that it should be ok in standby, because there's no load going anywhere except the pre-stage anyways. you bet your ass i'd turn it on and at least make sure it fires up.
24HRS2MDNT

Post by 24HRS2MDNT »

Vox Night Train cab that I made all Orangey. Congrats on your new Night Train Head. Maybe paint it Orange? :P
The Night Train cab sounds great and is easy on the wallet and back. Trust. Got one myself for the Mighty TT Full Stack. Juicy.
Posted this on the Telecaster forum last year and nobody cared. Hope you guys dig it because although I don't have a shortscale (yet) I do dig this site.
^^^Remember, never get turned on without being able to discharge your load!

Last edited by 24HRS2MDNT on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

nice stack, man!

is vox night train cab made of plywood or particle board? got any pics of re-tolexing process?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Wow, that looks great! A real 70's suitcase vibe.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

little update on my purchase.

plugged the amp into my laptop via attenuator/D.I.box today into the speaker sim VST plug-in.

so far i can say that it sounds great. i think it sounds just like i expected it to. it does cleans, it does crunchy stuff and in "thick" mode it can do leads no probs. although i didn't try it with humbuckers yet, i'm pretty sure this amp can do "djent" no probs.

i didn't mess with EQ controls at all, just left them all at neutral position of 12 o'clock. and it takes pedals very good, just make sure you don't have gain past 60% and all fuzz/dist effects should sound fine. the big muff didn't sound any good with amp gain dimed, but no surprises here.

plugged a bass into it. i think it sounds pretty OK in thick mode with bass.

i had it on for few hours and the chassis got pretty hot (about 45 celsius average), especially above power transformer. but i guess that's okay.

will try to do a demo when the cab gets here.
24HRS2MDNT

Post by 24HRS2MDNT »

blacktaxi wrote:nice stack, man!

is vox night train cab made of plywood or particle board? got any pics of re-tolexing process?
No jigsaw joinery or closed back like the Orange but it is plywood and quite solid. No pics of the covering process but was relatively easy due to round edges. (see dimpley/pucker corners) I think proper piping is set into a routed groove. My piping had a half inch tail running along which I glued to the edge of the tolex/upholstery sheets and then glued the whole thing down. Kinda like trim. (Yes I do)

Had the handle sewn up for $6 at a shoe repair stand. The Vox nameplate was almost a large Brass Lion's Head doorknocker instead. The grill is safety fence but I'd recommend going with something more stretchy and not so thick. (Ghostbusters bedsheets)

I was on a mission to put together something wildly psychedelic. The elderly sales Lady kept telling me that I would not be allowed to return the materials once they were cut. Bless.

Glad your new Vox head works. Highly recommend this cab.Sorry to hijack the thread, maybe I'll repost this in its own thread.