Affordable Bass VI Alternative

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

soundofseventythree

Affordable Bass VI Alternative

Post by soundofseventythree »

Hello Shortscalers!

I just wanted to share my video of the Agile Harm 1 Extended Scale Bass / Baritone guitar.

It has a 30" scale neck (short scale for a bass, extended scale for a guitar) so it can be strung as a bass guitar or a baritone. The one in this video is strung as a bass as I would love a Fender Bass VI but could never afford one, or even if I could, could never justify spending that on one.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the instrument and I will be posting more videos demoing and reviewing the instrument.

Thanks!!!

DJ

[youtube][/youtube]
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Sounds really solid.
I just picked up a Schecter Hellcat VI, which this is pretty similar to, and also based on the Fender VI. Glad to finally hear the agiles in action, I've been really wondering about them over the past year. For the price (hell not even for the price) it has a really good sound!
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
benecol

Post by benecol »

Nice video - been wondering about how those particular Agiles are. Welcome to the forum too.
soundofseventythree

Ankhanu wrote:Sounds really solid.
I just picked up a Schecter Hellcat VI, which this is pretty similar to, and also based on the Fender VI. Glad to finally hear the agiles in action, I've been really wondering about them over the past year. For the price (hell not even for the price) it has a really good sound!
Yeah I am really loving this instrument, and when I think of the cost I am in disbelief! How are you liking the Hellcat VI? They seem to be beautiful instruments. I considered the Hellcat, the Gretsch baritone, and the Agile Argus as well but decided on this instrument because it had a more 'traditional' looking headstock than either the Hellcat VI or the Argus but it looked a little more "bassy" than the Gretsch.
soundofseventythree

benecol wrote:Nice video - been wondering about how those particular Agiles are. Welcome to the forum too.
Thank you! I was wondering too so I decided when I got mine to make some videos so people can hear and see them. As I said above, more videos to come soon!
THEGREATJONZINI

Post by THEGREATJONZINI »

thats a really nice (good) sounding demo!
soundofseventythree

THEGREATJONZINI wrote:thats a really nice (good) sounding demo!
Thanks man! Its actually a song I wrote years ago that was just released with a bunch of my other material on the label Magnatune. I just muted the original bass part and played the Agile in place of the Jazz bass that was on the original. Honestly the Agile is more suited to this style of bass playing but I didn't have one when I recorded that song originally so I just used what I had. Now I can use my Jazz, the Agile, or my soon to arrive Jaguar bass to record with. :D
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

soundofseventythree wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:Sounds really solid.
Yeah I am really loving this instrument, and when I think of the cost I am in disbelief! How are you liking the Hellcat VI? They seem to be beautiful instruments. I considered the Hellcat, the Gretsch baritone, and the Agile Argus as well but decided on this instrument because it had a more 'traditional' looking headstock than either the Hellcat VI or the Argus but it looked a little more "bassy" than the Gretsch.
So far it's pretty darn solid. Pretty versatile in the tone department and the construction seems like a rock... but yeah, like you, I'm not big on the headstock :P
I placed an order for Labella HC-VI round wound strings, we'll see how they improve things, with not having the bulk of the string wrapped around those little Grover tuners.

I did a little review of the Hellcat on this forum under the Shortscale section, as well as on my own forum here ( http://z6.invisionfree.com/Hotaru_no_Hi ... wtopic=950 - quicker to find it there than here :P ). I should do a bit of a demo of it like you did with your Agile.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Rox

Post by Rox »

I like it . Certainly sounds good . Checked out the Rondo site . Pretty cheap too. A lot of guitar for the loot .
finboy

Post by finboy »

how's the neckdive? my harm 12 is brutal
soundofseventythree

finboy wrote:how's the neckdive? my harm 12 is brutal
Do you mean the angle of the neck relative to the body of the guitar? I don't think its too bad but I did notice it because the bridge pickup has to be hiked way up to match the output of the neck pickup. I believe this is partly due to the angle of the neck and party because the neck pickup is so far forward for a bass. I think this portion of the string is generating A LOT of energy and as a result the neck pickups output is "hot" compared to the bridge, even though the pickups themselves are probably identical. I was able to balance the output to my liking though, and there is always the volume controls if you don't want to adjust the pickup heights the way I did.

What's your 12 string like? Very extreme angle?
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

he means the weight of the neck compared to the body.
soundofseventythree

stewart wrote:he means the weight of the neck compared to the body.
Ah right... thanks for clearing that up!

Its not the worst, but its there. If I remember correctly its not nearly as bad as say an SG. I was playing last night with a drummer friend of mine and would notice it every time I took my hand off the neck though. It would not hit the floor or anything like that, but it is a bit neck heavy. I don't notice it at all when seated, only with the strap standing. Since its semi-hollow I imagine you could find a nice piece of lead to put inside the sound-hole to weigh the body down. ;)
soundofseventythree

[youtube][/youtube]

So for anyone interested in hearing the Harm 1 Extended Scale alone with various effects applied. I have to say it sounds quite different through a guitar amp vs a bass amp. This demo is with a bass amp.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

I've been waiting forever for someone to demo these. sounds great man!
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Awesome demo! That thing really sounds the business.

And shit, thanks for reminding me how much I'd like a Digital Harinezumi. Welcome aboard.
soundofseventythree

avj wrote:Awesome demo! That thing really sounds the business.

And shit, thanks for reminding me how much I'd like a Digital Harinezumi. Welcome aboard.
Glad you liked it and thanks!!! :D