Parts Box Musicmaster with a Mini-Humbucker

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

cooter

Parts Box Musicmaster with a Mini-Humbucker

Post by cooter »

I bought a mini humbucker for cheap a while back and I finally figured out a way to use it. I now present to you my parts box Mini-Hum Musicmaster.

I used a Squier mini strat neck refinished with tinted amber, tru-oil and a geocha decal. This was my first attempt with tru-oil. I had this neck in the parts box and I thought I would do a practice run on it before I refinished the neck on my 1975 Musicmaster project. Well, it turned out way better than I was expecting and I had an extra musicmaster decal I wasn't using at the moment so everything just kinda fell into place.

The body is made from poplar. I had made a template from the 1963 Duo/Musicmater I used to own. I figured it would come in handy one day.
The bridge is from a CV Squier DuoSonic. The tuners are kluson style tuners from bezdez on ebay and I got the pickguard material from bezdez as well. I think I have about $150- $200 bucks in the whole thing and I can't seem to put it down.

This thing plays great. It's a killer little blues/garage guitar.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

noice
obscure pop culture reference
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Very elegant. I like how the mini matches the shape of the bridge. Well done. I will have to listen for those minis.
The mini-humbucker is a smaller variation of the full size PAF humbucker pickup (used in electric guitars) created by the Gibson Guitar Corporation. It has a thinner, less powerful sound than the full-size version and is frequently used in jazz guitars, mounted under the fingerboard or on the pickguard. The mini-humbucker equipped Gibson Firebird, for example, produces clearer, brighter tones that are quite unlike typical Gibson sounds, and fit well between single coils and full-sized humbuckers in the tonal spectrum.
Yell Like Hell
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

holy shit
dots wrote:incesticide
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

robroe wrote:hot shit
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

man, that guitar is awesome
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

DGNR8 wrote:Very elegant. I like how the mini matches the shape of the bridge. Well done. I will have to listen for those minis.
The mini-humbucker is a smaller variation of the full size PAF humbucker pickup (used in electric guitars) created by the Gibson Guitar Corporation. It has a thinner, less powerful sound than the full-size version and is frequently used in jazz guitars, mounted under the fingerboard or on the pickguard. The mini-humbucker equipped Gibson Firebird, for example, produces clearer, brighter tones that are quite unlike typical Gibson sounds, and fit well between single coils and full-sized humbuckers in the tonal spectrum.
this is not correct. the mini-humbucker was developed by epiphone and gibson acquired it when they bought epiphone. they sound quite different from a PAF humbucker.
cooter

Post by cooter »

Thanks guys. I'm so happy with the way it turned out I'm thinking I need to do a shell pink duo with a maple neck now.

BTW I love the sound of the mini-humbucker. It comes close to sounding like the single coil in my 75 Musicmaster with just a hint of distortion.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

wow coot, that looks great.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
bob the r0bot

Post by bob the r0bot »

awesome
Get rad with your dad
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Great job.
astro

Post by astro »

Wow, gorgeous!

That's some pretty nice flame happening on that neck, quite surprising to see that on a squier sourced neck
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

It looks lovely. Those mini Strat necks are the same as the 22.5" Duo necks?
Are you a Wizard?
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Re: Parts Box Musicmaster with a Mini-Humbucker

Post by Will »

cooterfinger wrote:Image
HLY SHIT THIS GUITAR IS AMAZING. I WOULD PLAY THIS 25 HOURS A DAY.

Get some chrome-dome tele knobs and you're taking a one-way train to BONERTOWN.
cooter

Post by cooter »

TheBurbz wrote:It looks lovely. Those mini Strat necks are the same as the 22.5" Duo necks?
Mini strat necks are 22.75" scale. I moved the bridge back a little to compensate and made a pickguard to fit.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
benecol

Post by benecol »

That's lovely - well done.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Very, very nice.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Re: Parts Box Musicmaster with a Mini-Humbucker

Post by stewart »

Will wrote:Get some chrome-dome tele knobs and you're taking a one-way train to BONERTOWN.
+1

looks delicious, like a six-stringed cake.
cur

Post by cur »

really really nice.

TexasSwede

Very NIce

Post by TexasSwede »

cooterfinger wrote:
TheBurbz wrote:It looks lovely. Those mini Strat necks are the same as the 22.5" Duo necks?
Mini strat necks are 22.75" scale. I moved the bridge back a little to compensate and made a pickguard to fit.
That's well done. I guess I always assumed the Mini's scale was shorter than my MIM Duo's 22.75".

I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for one now.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.