Strange Tele Intonation Problem

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

TexasSwede

Strange Tele Intonation Problem

Post by TexasSwede »

Spent the weekend rewiring my Iceman as a Jimmy Page Les Paul and tinkering a bit with a Peavey Reactor Tele.

On the tele, I installed a set of Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials, flipped the control plate, tweaked the tele's truss rod a 1/8 turn, adjusted the action a tad bit lower, and restrung it with a pack of hybrids (.09 - .48 I believe).

When I tuned it up and started adjusting intonation, I had trouble with the low E string. Every other string was either spot on, or less than a 1/16th of a turn off perfect. The low E indicated ~12 or 13 cents sharp at the 12th fret no matter where I moved the saddle. Reactors have individually adjustable strat-like saddles - and even backed out flush with the bridge, there's no change.

I've maintained my guitars for years and never experienced this before. I checked pickup height, the nut, neck alignment in the x-y-z planes, and I'm thoroughly stumped. What other variables am I missing?

The tele was intonated fine before I started, so any help in pointing out why I'm such a dumbass will be greatly appreciated!
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Most odd. I'd try lowering the pickups (the magnets can sometimes interfere with the strings) and putting a new/old/different string on there to see if you get any change.

Does the intonation go sharp like it should when you move the saddle towards the neck?
George

Post by George »

Also, make sure you have a healthy 2 or 3 winds round the tuning peg.
Dingus

Re: Strange Tele Intonation Problem

Post by Dingus »

TexasSwede wrote:Spent the weekend rewiring my Iceman as a Jimmy Page Les Paul

I think I found your problem right there.
TexasSwede

Intonation...

Post by TexasSwede »

Doog wrote:Most odd. I'd try lowering the pickups (the magnets can sometimes interfere with the strings) and putting a new/old/different string on there to see if you get any change.

Does the intonation go sharp like it should when you move the saddle towards the neck?
Pickups were my first gut feeling as I went from a bridge PU at 8.80KΩ to 10.65KΩ. But they started out LOW and are now FLAT against plate or pickguard. Intonation doesn't change from 12-13 cents sharp no matter where I put the saddle (over 3/4" of travel). I can't believe that a different brand of strings can cause this. It's illogical. But I guess I'll just go get a pack of the same GHS Boomers .09s I was using before.
GeorgeF wrote:Also, make sure you have a healthy 2 or 3 winds round the tuning peg.
I do, in fact 2-3 wraps is about all you get comfortably on the low E peg.

I checked to make sure I was seated in the nut. As well as my 42 year old eyes can tell, it looks good. I'm about to go crazy.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

Dingus wrote:
TexasSwede wrote:Spent the weekend rewiring my Iceman as a Jimmy Page Les Paul

I think I found your problem right there.
Hahaha! Sorry man - always wanted to try splitting coils and messing with phase on a HH guitar.

I freaking HATE everything about this guitar - mahoghany weight, phallic shape, neck-heavy balance... except that it has the best tone, sustain, and feel of anything I have. It loves my Trace Elliott Velocette - like butter.
matt.dines

Post by matt.dines »

TexasSwede wrote: my Trace Elliott Velocette
Best part of this thread! How are you getting on with it?
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

try letting the strings stretch and settle. after that, I would apply some chapstick or mechanical pencil lead to the nut and the saddle, take the string off and try again.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

matt.dines wrote:
TexasSwede wrote: my Trace Elliott Velocette
Best part of this thread! How are you getting on with it?
Awesome amp! Alot of fun! Used as much as my heavily-modded, beat to shit, Hot Rod Deluxe.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Um, is your tuner broke? It's the only thing I can think of.
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

BacchusPaul wrote:Um, is your tuner broke? It's the only thing I can think of.
No. Checked all strings with 3 different tuners, it's the same. Freaky, eh?

The only variable I can account for "really changing" is brand, and size, of strings (I ordered and tried a pack of GuitarFetish branded Hybrid lights). Maybe cheap strings is the culprit, but that just screws with my head.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yeah, it shouldn't matter even if you're using a piece of tying wire, if you move the saddle and retune the string, then the note at the twelfth fret should change. It's as fundamental as physics gets, really.

Hmmm. Confusing. Must be a magic guitar.
Last edited by Bacchus on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

TexasSwede wrote:I ordered and tried a pack of GuitarFetish branded Hybrid lights

I agree with Paul but I've heard similar issues with these strings over at the tele forum. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if you changed the strings and it fixed the problem.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
TexasSwede

Problem unique to Guitar Fetish strings...

Post by TexasSwede »

portugalwillie wrote:
TexasSwede wrote:I ordered and tried a pack of GuitarFetish branded Hybrid lights

I agree with Paul but I've heard similar issues with these strings over at the tele forum. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if you changed the strings and it fixed the problem.
REALLY Weird - just confirmed by another source, it's unique to GF strings. I'll be damned. Defies logic but I'll change out the strings. Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this one.