New Boss Pedals

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I really don't get why roland always insist on having someone play metal.

Having said that, a couple of years ago I used to love Megadeth, so I would have probably wanted to buy those pedals just because of Marty Friedman.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Well, he might be a hasbeen but it makes sense to me. A lot of these pedals for years had tracking issues, to use a respected player/tutor with an odd lead style will demonstrate the pedal works as it should.
Metal will probably be this pedals main market as well.
millagurnzie

Post by millagurnzie »

The stack is abit mushy, boss have never really made a great distortion.......couple of nice overdrives though
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Doog wrote:It looks they've pretty much got non-wobbly polyphonic pitchshifting down finally but I am surprised, what with the 3 voice mode and all, they didn't design the pedal so it could cop Micro POG sounds, given its popularity.
The new PGS video shows it does just that, in fact:

[youtube][/youtube]
Johno

Post by Johno »

PS6 sounds hours of fun.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Being a thicko and knowing nothing about keys and stuff would I be able to get the Harmonist to work properly? No pot marked 'key' on the Micro Pog and they're great.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The MicroPog works in Octaves, so you're always getting Harmony "of a sort" in the same Key as you're playing. It's the exact same note, just higher or lower.

Intelligent Harmony has to know the key you're in so it can play appropriate notes to mesh with the chords of the key in a pleasing way. It means you have to know something about the music you're writing to utilise it, but the effect is much more pleasing. For example a perfect 5th harmony is generally more "poppy" than an Octave, to the human ear anyway.

This is all subjective of course, but we do lot of piano and guitar based writing of harmony vocal parts, it's a whole world that is opened to you in terms of writing. Harmony can be as much an important part of songwriting as Melody and Rhythm.

Anyway, now I've said that we'll all fluff our lines tomorrow and sound gash.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Thanks Mike. I wasn't thinking of buying one just wondered how it all worked.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Those new whammyz sounds with vibrato sound pretty sweet. But apart from that, I don't think I would be replacing my ps5 with it.
NickS

Post by NickS »

mrperson wrote:I would have probably wanted to buy those pedals just because of Marty Friedman.

Oh, hang on.....
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

That vibrato thing sounds like hours of fun!

I've been wanting some kind of new pitch shifter, and this one seams like a better deal then the micro pog. I have a ps3 but i like to use it for the delay stuff.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Fran wrote:
jcyphe wrote:I love Boss pedals. It seems weird that they even come out with new stuff cause they really could just release pedals from 20 years ago in the exact same layout and nobody would care. But i like new too.
This is true, in fact oddly enough i've gone full circle with pedals. After years of trying out numerous brands including boutique stuff i've ended up with a DS-1 and DS-2 on my pedalboard.
DS-1? Really? I thought you were using one of them Behringer Sans-amp clones, I bought one of those based on your recommendation! I've considered getting a DS-1 but it's too cliche...
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Doog wrote:
Doog wrote:It looks they've pretty much got non-wobbly polyphonic pitchshifting down finally but I am surprised, what with the 3 voice mode and all, they didn't design the pedal so it could cop Micro POG sounds, given its popularity.
The new PGS video shows it does just that, in fact:

[youtube][/youtube]
Nice to hear the Pink Floyd Dogs solo used to demonstrate it, too.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:Intelligent Harmony has to know the key you're in so it can play appropriate notes to mesh with the chords of the key in a pleasing way. It means you have to know something about the music you're writing to utilise it, but the effect is much more pleasing. For example a perfect 5th harmony is generally more "poppy" than an Octave, to the human ear anyway.
You don't need to know anything of the key to harmonise at a fifth. They are perfect fifths, without major or minor qualities.

I always found fifths/fourths kind of harsh and driving sounding, and thirds/sixths more poppy sounding. Depends how they're used, I suppose.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

BacchusPaul wrote:
Mike wrote:Intelligent Harmony has to know the key you're in so it can play appropriate notes to mesh with the chords of the key in a pleasing way. It means you have to know something about the music you're writing to utilise it, but the effect is much more pleasing. For example a perfect 5th harmony is generally more "poppy" than an Octave, to the human ear anyway.
You don't need to know anything of the key to harmonise at a fifth. They are perfect fifths, without major or minor qualities.

I always found fifths/fourths kind of harsh and driving sounding, and thirds/sixths more poppy sounding. Depends how they're used, I suppose.
True enough, I always tend to sing a third or fourth when we're starting out writing stuff, but I'm a bit weird and don't know any of the theory really, I just know what makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:I just know what makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.
This is the most important thing, definitely.

Theory wise, most guitarists already know more than most guitarists would ever want to know.
TexasSwede

Thats fucked up

Post by TexasSwede »

avj wrote:I like how the one video is pretty much just Marty Friedman awkwardly masturbating in front of a camera for several minutes.
NickS wrote:Image
LOL, I about shat myself, Nick!!! What's scary is that after reading avj's post last month, I too was thinking Marty Feldman? Masturbating? WTF?

Shit, I think I'm metally scarred!
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.