xaviere guitars

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mickie08

xaviere guitars

Post by mickie08 »

How are the necks on these. There is always a bunch of talk when they come out with something new, but I have never heard how the necks on these are? I am thining of buying on of the jagmaster style and possibly picking up a tele that is on clearance. I can get them both for under 300 so it seems like a great deal and I can mess wiht hardware if that seems to be an issue.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

I am looking at one of these:

With this for the neck

And possibly picking up one of these on clearance

TexasSwede

Re: xaviere guitars

Post by TexasSwede »

mickie08 wrote:How are the necks on these. There is always a bunch of talk when they come out with something new, but I have never heard how the necks on these are? I am thining of buying on of the jagmaster style and possibly picking up a tele that is on clearance. I can get them both for under 300 so it seems like a great deal and I can mess wiht hardware if that seems to be an issue.
Been a big fan of GuitarFetish for a couple of years. Hell, I've already dropped several hundred dollars this year alone in parts, etc.

I don't own a Xaviere but I've talked to some guys who've ordered the necks separately from GFS (~$30-$40) and said that they're pretty cheaply made. Be aware, that they will probably need some fret leveling, beveling, polishing, etc. (child labor is just not what it used to be)

Somewhere I heard about their necks twisting. Looked on the site today and a few of the CLEARANCE blems state "slight twist in neck."

I love the company, just be careful what you buy. Ask questions, they will respond! Just don't buy their strings! (that was last week's thread!)
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

I figure I can always pick up a cheap strat neck off the bay and still be pretty decent. I think the body and parts alone are worth it. I may change the neck even if it is decent as I would prefer a 9.5 or 7.5. I have played larger radius necks though. It seems that the QC is pretty up and down (as with all imports), but as long as they back up the sales with a return policy I am not as concerned. I can always send one back if I do not like it.

The idea of the ice blue metaliic thinline tele with the mini hun at the neck sound ust awesome to me though.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Never played an Xaviere but have heard they're hit or miss on their quality .
I do however have experience with their GFS pickups . I like em a lot . Especially the Retrotrons .
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I made a tele out of GFS parts which I always assumed are Xaviere b-stock.
The neck is so awful feeling/sounding/looking (banana yellow gloss tint makes the whole thing look plastic) that any line of thought detailing interest I've had in Xaviere models have always had a "and replace the neck with my 70s RI Strat neck" stuck on the end. I toyed with the idea of an Allparts neck like my other tele project had but the GFS bodies have a stupidly large pocket (especially when they say one doesn't) combined with an odd screw mounting pattern, so a pricey neck is an iffy decision when making a GFS parts guitar.
Sticking a Fender neck on one of these isn't a direct swap, you'll need to fill the neck mounting holes, drill new ones halfway into the filled ones, and have a gappy-ass neck pocket when you're done. It works but it's not gonna be a good Fender, it's gonna be a Frankenstein.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

well that sucks. That is surprising becuase they generally get decent reviews (at least on a price comparison).

Think I will pass then. I was just really excited about the IBM thinline tele.
wilrecar77

Post by wilrecar77 »

paul_ wrote:I made a tele out of GFS parts which I always assumed are Xaviere b-stock.
The neck is so awful feeling/sounding/looking (banana yellow gloss tint makes the whole thing look plastic) that any line of thought detailing interest I've had in Xaviere models have always had a "and replace the neck with my 70s RI Strat neck" stuck on the end. I toyed with the idea of an Allparts neck like my other tele project had but the GFS bodies have a stupidly large pocket (especially when they say one doesn't) combined with an odd screw mounting pattern, so a pricey neck is an iffy decision when making a GFS parts guitar.
Sticking a Fender neck on one of these isn't a direct swap, you'll need to fill the neck mounting holes, drill new ones halfway into the filled ones, and have a gappy-ass neck pocket when you're done. It works but it's not gonna be a good Fender, it's gonna be a Frankenstein.
It sucks you had so many problems with your neck, man.I replaced the neck on my Xaviere Jazzmaster copy with no problem whatsoever (with a GFS neck to boot). The GFS neck perfect for me, very thick and chunky, whereas the original neck was pretty thin and anemic. I know what you mean by the plastic-y comment, but to me it seemed to suit the guitar well.

Oh, and the neck I bought was a strat neck, which happened to be unfinished and thus not an xaviere b-stock thing. I'm actually a bit surprised your was.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

i've played Xaviere strat and a thinline tele. the neck is OK. banana tint is awful indeed, but the thing was pretty playable to me. the neck on thinline tele was a bit thicker and more of a clubby profile, as opposed to strat. the neck on strat was thin and flat, i guess that's a D profile. not sure about fretboard radius, it felt like it was 12".
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

They're playable, but the finish is about a mile thick. They feel quite cheap, even compared to an SX or Agile.