Looking to get a loop pedal, help please

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Sonic Valentine Jr.

Looking to get a loop pedal, help please

Post by Sonic Valentine Jr. »

I am thinking of getting a loop pedal soon to jam out with myself and I think it'll be a great way to improve on my guitar skills. I was just thinking which one? I am leaning towards loop pedals that have extra goodness to them such as delay effects and other effects. Such as the memory man with Hazari. Ive been looking at this one in particular because of the how much more I can do with the pedal other than just looping which im seeing in the boss loop pedals. It's just a looper and I think I want that extra thing to come with a 200 dollar pedal. Music I typically play is stuff in alternate tuning which are all my originals. I jam out to songs in standard too of course. My main influences are Dinosaur jr, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, My bloody valentine, Incubus, Pink Floyd, Modest mouse, Radiohead and the cure. Any thoughts? Recommendations? I would really appreciate it. THANKS!
Ro S

Post by Ro S »

I think that a good candidate for a looper pedal with plenty of other functions is a BOSS DD-7.

The Boss DD7's 'hold' function is a 40-second looper.

And of course the DD7 is an extensive digital delay pedal, with lots of delay time, a reverse mode, and now an anolog sim mode.

A similar option to the Boss DD7 is the Digitech Hardwire Delay/Looper, but the latter's looper function only has, I think, 20 seconds.
21st-century schizoid man with too many pedals

'Effects for Me & my Monkey'
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
Online Store: http://effectsformemymonkey.bigcartel.com/
Official distributor, Sharptone FX
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

The Digitech JamMan is about the best i have heard, Akai Headrush is okay, not tried the Boss Loop Station. Alternatively you can score Multi FX cheap second hand with these features on them, like the Korg AXG15000.
Sonic Valentine Jr.

Post by Sonic Valentine Jr. »

The DD7 looks really cool. Saw a couple of videos and I was impressed. It seems to do what the memory man with hazari does and for a cheaper price which shamefully made me more drawn into it ha ha. My only problem is I can't find it at my local music stores and the only way to get it is online but by the time its shipped im moving my rig to my buddies house for practicing which means less time for some looping D: I checked out the digitech pedal too, seems pretty cool. I'm still honestly leaning towards the memory man with hazari mainly because the availability, reverse reverb and the looping. Thoughts?
Fran wrote:The Digitech JamMan is about the best i have heard, Akai Headrush is okay, not tried the Boss Loop Station. Alternatively you can score Multi FX cheap second hand with these features on them, like the Korg AXG15000.
I can't seem to find anything on the Korg and I dont really want to get another Multi Fx board, but thanks though. Ive been looking at the loop station and I just feel I want a little more other than just looping. Im looking at the Akai headrush and it seems like a good deal, Ive been eying it for the past few days. I'll get back to you on that one. The jamman looks pretty good but its on the same level as the boss looper to me.

Im leaning towards the alkai headrush, memory man with hazari and the DD7 (which I just found out theres two at my local music store :D)

Thoughts?
Last edited by Sonic Valentine Jr. on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody_Pole

Post by Cody_Pole »

Get a line 6 DL4 it's a looper and has lots of delays, ignore the negative reviews and the people who bitch about tone loss
I procrastinated then finally got one and I thank myself for pulling the trigger on getting it cuz I paid about the same for a Boss RC-2
and thats just a looper and now the DL4 is cheaper to get plus the looper is fucking awesome!
Deflating Expectations
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I've got a Boss RC-2. It's great. Can't think of anything more I would want out of a looper pedal.
Cody_Pole

Post by Cody_Pole »

Can't think of anything more I would want out of a looper pedal.

How about a looper thats ten times easier to use!
Deflating Expectations
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Cody_Pole wrote:Can't think of anything more I would want out of a looper pedal.

How about a looper thats ten times easier to use!
What's hard about it? It's not rocket science :roll:
Cody_Pole

Post by Cody_Pole »

Compared to the DL4 me thinks not!
Deflating Expectations
Ro S

Post by Ro S »

S/V/Jr -

If you're thinking about getting a delay pedal with looper such as the ones that have been mentioned already - make sure you check the looping times of each and check which are suited to your needs before making your choice.

Boss improved the looping times of the DD6 a lot by going from only 4 secs to 40 seconds in the DD7.

The Akai Headrush and Line 6 DL4 both have much shorter looping times than the Boss DD7, and the former now seem limited by comparison with newer pedals in that respect.

If you're not bothered about getting the much longer looping times provided by an expensive dedicated looper, then you'll get much more for you money by getting a DD7, DL4, Digitech Hardwire or the new EHX MM delay you mentioned with looping capabiliies. If you decide later on that you want a dedicated looper, you still have a very good and versatile delay pedal.

Buying a big delay pedal or looper is likely to be one of the most expensive pedals you might get, so I'd strongly suggest that you make sure you do your research thoroughly, investigate all the candidates' various functions, and check reviews, before rushing out and buying anything.
Haze

Post by Haze »

DL-4, great looped and a help of a lot of delays. M9 may be another option if you're looking to spend a little more. But it will do all of those odds and ends effects that you may be lacking an individual stomp box for since your tastes in music seems to be effect heavy.
fiveways

Post by fiveways »

Haze wrote:DL-4, great looped and a help of a lot of delays. M9 may be another option if you're looking to spend a little more. But it will do all of those odds and ends effects that you may be lacking an individual stomp box for since your tastes in music seems to be effect heavy.
M9 seems like a good opation is he doesnt want loop storage.\

If he wants storage the mini-jamman or rc series might not be a bad idea.
Darkness that strong.