Best Power supply / Power brick / Power floater

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Best Power supply / Power brick / Power floater

Post by wwrrss »

I've come to the conclusion that at some point, rather than the 2 x 6 end daisy chain supplies I use I'm gonna have to buy a half decent supply to at least power them pedals that eat loads of power - POG2, Loopstation, Hardwire Delay/Looper, Memoryman Deluxe (if possible)

Which good and not astronomically prices ones are any good? or will pretty much any suffice? Any to steer well clear of?
Ro S

Post by Ro S »

I have a related query so I'll post it here too: what is the safe way to power, via an adaptor of some sort, Boss pedals from the 1980s? I am right in thinking that you must not put a 9v DC adaptor straight in them? What about a power brick type thing? Is via a daisy chain okay? Thanks
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'll direct you both to THIS thread I made eariler in the year where I asked a similar question.

The Johnnyshreadfreak power supply I got from then is still going strong, and was perfect. Just the same as the Diago one that costs tons more.
PLEASE!!!... Tell Me About the Fuckin' Golf Shoes!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Boab wrote:I'll direct you both to THIS thread I made eariler in the year where I asked a similar question.

The Johnnyshreadfreak power supply I got from then is still going strong, and was perfect. Just the same as the Diago one that costs tons more.
agreed, I power my 80s Boss CE-3 without any problem off this power supply.
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

Boab wrote:I'll direct you both to THIS thread I made eariler in the year where I asked a similar question.

+1

Great investment.
Doog wrote:"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

The Johnny Shredfreak supply is 1500mA output, but the one I use is 1330mA, I can't imagine it's gonna help that much, i'd probably just be better off using single power supplies for those amp eating pedals.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

wwrrss wrote:The Johnny Shredfreak supply is 1500mA output, but the one I use is 1330mA, I can't imagine it's gonna help that much, i'd probably just be better off using single power supplies for those amp eating pedals.
You could use two? Use one for the power hungry pedal and another for the rest of the pedals? Would be much easier to manage than loads of supplies.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

The ones I use are fine for all the dirt pedals, it's just the POG2, Boss Loopstation, DOD Phaser and Hardwire Looper/Delay, the little flashing LED on the Loopstation is audible through my amp if I have it daisy chained with everything else.

Is the Johnny Shredfreak good with modulations pedals a-go-go?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've used one with a delay and a chorus powered out of the same brick and there were no problems. Some dirt pedals too.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Is your issue with the actual power or the isolation?
I've powered a bunch of pedals using one...for example:
And had no problems at all.
Your loopstation issue sounds to me like you want one of these to put in your daisy chain:
Virtual Battery
I use one with mine and it sorted out my noise issues.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

Thom wrote:Is your issue with the actual power or the isolation?
I've powered a bunch of pedals using one...for example:
[]]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ ... 010095.jpg[/img]
[]]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ ... 010160.jpg[/img]
And had no problems at all.
Your loopstation issue sounds to me like you want one of these to put in your daisy chain:
Virtual Battery
I use one with mine and it sorted out my noise issues.
the main issue is the noise from the Loopstation which I assume is an isolation issue, that virtual battery thing looks great, quite expensive but saves me getting rid of any of the power supplies I already use.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Yeah not cheap, but I am happy I got one.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Does anyone have any experiance of this?

it looks like it does the same job as the virtual battery but its cheaper?
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

I wonder how simple the isolation is to DIY it? If I can just find out how it's done.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

wwrrss wrote:I wonder how simple the isolation is to DIY it? If I can just find out how it's done.
http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/Huminator/index.htm

I'm not sure if this is an actual isolator though.
NickS

Post by NickS »

mrperson wrote:
wwrrss wrote:I wonder how simple the isolation is to DIY it? If I can just find out how it's done.

No, it's a hum/ripple/buzz reducer. It won't help if you need positive earth and negative earth on the same PSU.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

NickS wrote:
mrperson wrote:

No, it's a hum/ripple/buzz reducer. It won't help if you need positive earth and negative earth on the same PSU.
I don't need + and - earth on the same PSU :)
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

it's pretty big but i'm very happy with the power brick i got and has been working fine ever since i got it, cheap harley benton powerbrick from thomann, just because it's cheap don't mean it will crap out after two weeks..i think i've had it for two three years maybe.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant.htm
NickS

Post by NickS »

wwrrss wrote:I don't need + and - earth on the same PSU :)
I've had problems with "ordinary" (Boss/Behringer) pedals on the same PSU as Line 6 Tonecore digital modelling pedals, though they're all supposed to be negative earth. Putting the Line 6 onto the PSU with the other pedals causes terrible buzz, though the Line 6 on its own is fine with the PSU. I'm thinking the Tonecore units have an inverter built in.