The Dethklok Explorer

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

The Dethklok Explorer

Post by westtexasred »

Finally...but, were is the Dethklok logo?

TexasSwede

Re: The Dethklok Explorer

Post by TexasSwede »

westtexasred wrote:Finally...but, were is the Dethklok logo?
Ahhh hahhh, I was waiting for the next Gibson announcement that will "revolutionize" the guitar playing world as we know it... :twisted:
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

As far as a stupid pointy guitar goes thats pretty cool.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I don't see what's so Dethklok about it? Granted, I stopped watching at the second series, but I didn't think they played anything silver burst.
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

BacchusPaul wrote:I don't see what's so Dethklok about it?
I don't either, it was supposed to have a Dethklok "Gear Logo" on the fretboard according to the specs.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I've never really found metalocalypse to be funny. Also, that's just an explorer in a new finish... don't see anything that exciting about it. But Gibson seems to be putting silver burst on everthing these days.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I don't watch the show . . .

but I can't figure out if I like the binding.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

that's dope. do liek.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Blue Cool

Post by Blue Cool »

To be honest, if they slapped the "gear" logo on the fretboard, it would make it look cheap and more toy like. This is somewhat respectable and looks good. This is really a Brendon Small Signature more than a "metalocalypse" guitar though.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

westtexasred wrote:
BacchusPaul wrote:I don't see what's so Dethklok about it?
I don't either, it was supposed to have a Dethklok "Gear Logo" on the fretboard according to the specs.
I remember seeing that guitar a few years ago. It looked cool but obviously you couldn't rock one on stage because you had the name of a cartoon written on your guitar.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I loved the first season of Metalocalypse, not the 2nd so much, 3rd was alright. Having such a track record with me does qualify it for "best show on Adult Swim" though. It's had jokes about metal, subgenres of rock, guitar and bands that I really love and quote regularly. I loved the music of the first season but think of Brendon Small having had those riffs/song ideas for ages beforehand and sort of blown his wad on 1, as the music of 2 and 3 is uninteresting to me to the point where I wouldn't even notice if they did an episode without songs.

If you want a Dethklok explorer buy a black standard Explorer and put EMG 81 and 85 pickups in it. Will look and sound more like a Dethklok guitar than this thing, probably cost a lot less, and it's what Brendon Small really uses too. Swisgaar is animated with his real guitar, and originally his hands were going to be reproduced from sensors on Small's hands while he was tracking the leads but it proved too difficult/glitchy.

This PAF/Silverburst thing reminds me of southern rock. It's pretty in a bad-ass way, but it's not brutal.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It looks fantastic. I like that they did binding but no big inlays on this particular configuration.

Explorers can look great a number of different ways, this is one of em.
Last edited by jcyphe on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Skiwsgaar (so I guess Small) uses one like this -

But I quite like this silverburst one, especially if it comes stock with the EMGs. My guess is it will come with Gibson pickups though, and be priced through the roof.
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Comes with Gibson Burstbuckers (1 & 2).

$1,650 on amazon
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

/robroe
Shabba.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Looks cool as hell. I like silverburst when it's done well like this.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think it would look sharp as fuck without the burst, just black with binding. Maybe have binding on the guard too.
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

TRC says "Thunderhorse"

From NAMM.org:

"Brendon Small – Brendon Small is best known as the co-creator of the Adult Swim animated series Home Movies and Metalocalypse, in which the show focuses on the fictional death metal band named Dethklok and each episode features a song ‘performed’ by the band. Brendon will be appearing in support of his new signature guitar from Gibson USA, The Dethklok “Thunderhorse� Explorer. The Dethklok “Thunderhorse� Explorer features a gloss Silver Burst finish with cream top and fingerboard binding. It is equipped with Burstbucker 1 and Busrtbucker 2 pickups and is decked out with chrome hardware."

[youtube][/youtube]