crapstrat single humbucker project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

elklotzy

crapstrat single humbucker project

Post by elklotzy »

hey there, posted earlier about shortscale necks for a project i'm working on, figured i'd post the whole thing up here...

got a brand new squier bullet special years and years ago on closeout special for about 50 bucks... lost the neck somewhere along the way but somehow kept the body and some hardware... figured i'd give it a jangly bucker to fit my sound and a makeover to boot... not sure between option a and option b at this point... any opinions would be appreciated!

mockup2_4 by saintcerulean, on Flickr

mockup2_3 by saintcerulean, on Flickr

buying most if not all parts from guitarfetish, except for perhaps the tuners... anyone have any experience with the tuners they have for sale? should i buck up an extra $20 to get fender licensed ones from angela?

will either have a jagmaster neck or simply a strat bullet... found a pink one on the cheap and figured that might be good for the next project, something along the lines of this sonic youth three coil number...

maybe go a lil something like this... (pardon the truly atrocious and hurried photoshop job)

mockup1_2 by saintcerulean, on Flickr
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i have a couple different squier stratocaster necks with small headstocks that i can't seem to sell. pm me if you're interested.

that last pic is disgusting.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

DUDE! go to gfs, and look at thier locking tuners, i bought a few sets for the ill fated dwarfcraft prototype. i smashed the proto(s) but kept the tuners cuz they are badass! they work just as well as a sperzel, but don't look stupid and last longer, and at about 30 bucks a set its well worth the coin!
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

robert(original) wrote:DUDE! go to gfs, and look at thier locking tuners, i bought a few sets for the ill fated dwarfcraft prototype. i smashed the proto(s) but kept the tuners cuz they are badass! they work just as well as a sperzel, but don't look stupid and last longer, and at about 30 bucks a set its well worth the coin!
+1 on the tuners

GuitarFetish is a great resource. Just stay away from their Xavier branded strings, and their "in the raw" necks.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
elklotzy

Post by elklotzy »

that pretty much settles it... if its good enough for dwarfcraft its good enough for me (as someone who has dabbled in the pedal building, i think you guys are gods btw)...

although, by chance you wouldn't happen to know which set of locking tuners you have specific experience with? they've got three...

one

two

three
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I definitely think option A has promise, I like the idea of a strat junior. I don't think I'd have the narrowing of the pickguard quite so dramatic, though, and I think I'd shorten the front portion of the guard a bit so that it ends at about the second screw from the right on a standard guard.

Basically, a bit more Gibsony. Fuck, actually a strat like that with a P90 would look really cool.
elklotzy

Post by elklotzy »

i liked the idea of option a, but forgot to wood putty over the pickguard holes before i started painting... so it looks like its going to wind up being number b... ;)

thanks for the input!
elklotzy

Post by elklotzy »

ps i considered a p90, as well as a jazzmaster pickup, but ended up settling on the ghs due to price point and the fact that its GOLLLLDDDDDDDDD...
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

Do an WRHB

robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

option 2! i already got some of the raw necks. i had to completely redo the fret work, and the low e tuner hole was in the curve of the neck so that took ALOT of hand work to get right, but besides that it was worth the 30 bucks i paid for both necks.
d-craft is awsome, but im not really with the company anymore.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

What's the story with that white guitar and the strings behind the tailpiece?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Those look less like strings to me and more like marks on the finish, but I'm still dead curious.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

they're definitely strings coming through a top-loading strat bridge. going to what is the question.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

looks like the strat bridge is floating and the strings are going underneath?

edit: just saw loading holes in the back of the bridge, am confused by the awesomeness
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

This was a tremstrat style body that I filled the trem route with bondo.and put the toploader hardtail bridge on it. After about a year or so the bridge screws started pulling the filler out of the body. I didn't want to tear it apart because it's set up perfect. I had an old jap tailpiece laying around that I got in a parts lot on ebay. It's good to go without a hassle. It's not white, it's a very light beige. Does look like a very smoke covered white.
NickS

Post by NickS »

bassintom wrote:This was a tremstrat style body that I filled the trem route with bondo.and put the toploader hardtail bridge on it. After about a year or so the bridge screws started pulling the filler out of the body. I didn't want to tear it apart because it's set up perfect. I had an old jap tailpiece laying around that I got in a parts lot on ebay. It's good to go without a hassle. It's not white, it's a very light beige. Does look like a very smoke covered white.
Marvellous kludge, makes it one of a kind!