Fender Mustang Fret Wire Type

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

xxhoixx

Fender Mustang Fret Wire Type

Post by xxhoixx »

I want to order a Mustang neck for my '78 Musicmaster from Warmoth but I'm not sure what type of fret wire to choose. I want the neck to feel exactly like my '69 RI mustang. Does anyone know what type of fret wire they used for that type of neck?

Thanks!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I am building a 78' Musicmaster. What color is yours?
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

My musicmaster is white with black pickguard. I have a picture on one of my 1st posts here. It has a hideous space between pickguard and bridge. I actually rarely play it because I hate the big fat neck so much. This past weekend was the longest time I spent playing it and it was after I took the neck off of my mustang and put it on the mm.

Are you using a body you already have or having one built? What color, etc?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I just bought a pickup and pickup covers. It's Fiesta Red with a white pickguard. Vintage Body. I only need a neck and tuners.

What are you planning on doing with the MM neck you don't like?

Last edited by taylornutt on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

That's a nice color. Where did you buy your pickguard? I have wanted a tortoise shell one for mine but don't know exactly where to buy one since I can't find info on whether the '78 and '79 guards are identical. I would assume so but I don't want to chance it.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I got the body and pickguard from Cooterfinger here on shortscale. Got the Bronco knobs from eBay via Haze and the bridge on eBay.
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

I was just planning on keeping the neck in case I wanted to sell the guitar later on. I don't see myself selling any of my guitars but you never know. I think I could get more money for the thing as a whole. I'll let you know if I plan on selling it though. Hit me up if you find yourself unable to find a neck. I'm not a "collector" so I could consider selling it.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I have several on Ebay I am watching but if I can't I might look up later. I like the idea of getting the matching year neck if possible.
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

Hmm...I'm a dummy. My mm is a '79. Wow...see...told you I hadn't played it in a while. Anyway, I think it's still the same as a '78.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I could trace the pickguard if you need me to, but I am 99.9% sure they are the same. Can you post some pics of the guitar? Most of the 70s Musicmasters had the Bronco Style pickguards I believe.

I might be able to make a guard for you in fact if you can't find one.
Last edited by taylornutt on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

I was super busy today so I just saw this but looks like tomin8r beat me to it.
I'd love a tort pickguard! How much do you charge?
paul_

Re: Fender Mustang Fret Wire Type

Post by paul_ »

xxhoixx wrote:Does anyone know what type of fret wire they used for that type of neck?
Dunlop 6230 (first one listed) is the same spec

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/hard ... dunlop.htm

Fender also sell vintage style fretwire, they just call it that, "Fender Vintage Fretwire" or whatever. Theirs is pre-radiused to 7.25"
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
TexasSwede

Re: Fender Mustang Warmoth Neck

Post by TexasSwede »

xxhoixx wrote:I want to order a Mustang neck for my '78 Musicmaster from Warmoth ...
I was going to warn you that Warmoth necks only come in 10-16" compound radii and the Gotoh side adjusting double truss. Luckily, I decided to double-check the Warmoth site before hitting submit.

I see that they now offer a full range of radii with a $35 upcharge, including 7-1/2". It doesn't appear you have any other choices in truss rods, however.

Have you seen the Allparts Jag Neck?
I've had an extra red MG69 Comp body that I've been looking to buy a neck for. After researching and ruling out the Warmoth, I've pretty much decided on the JRGO.

Unfortunately, up through last week, it was only $173! Now $190?! Crap!
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
taylornutt

Re: Fender Mustang Warmoth Neck

Post by taylornutt »

TexasSwede wrote:
xxhoixx wrote:I want to order a Mustang neck for my '78 Musicmaster from Warmoth ...
I was going to warn you that Warmoth necks only come in 10-16" compound radii and the Gotoh side adjusting double truss. Luckily, I decided to double-check the Warmoth site before hitting submit.

I see that they now offer a full range of radii with a $35 upcharge, including 7-1/2". It doesn't appear you have any other choices in truss rods, however.

Have you seen the Allparts Jag Neck?
I've had an extra red MG69 Comp body that I've been looking to buy a neck for. After researching and ruling out the Warmoth, I've pretty much decided on the JRGO.

Unfortunately, up through last week, it was only $173! Now $190?! Crap!
Double crap!! I love my Allparts nitro tele neck I bought, but it was $200 and it was completely nitro finished with a maple fretboard! I could see $190 for a finished neck, but not unfinished.

I agree the allparts is the most reasonable option if you are looking for a vintage spec replacement, but I am not happy about the price jump. That is almost vintage ebay prices.

I wish I could have bought those necks on ebay from the guy who was selling them for $123.
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

Awesome...didn't know about the allparts jag neck. I think that's a better option for me unless someone has an extra '69 RI neck on ebay...at a reasonable price. I was honestly getting confused with all the different specs that I've been reading about. Thanks for all the help!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Remember the allparts neck is unfinished, so you will need to get some tinted clear coat to spray the maple parts of the neck. Haze did this exact thing on his Jazzmaster neck

ReRanch ClearCoats
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

Oh cool. I actually like this plan better. Esp. not having a logo on the neck.
TexasSwede

Neck finish options...

Post by TexasSwede »

xxhoixx wrote:...unless someone has an extra '69 RI neck on ebay...
I hear you, man. I've been looking for and bidding on japanese RI necks for awhile, but I set my bids to max at $200. I guess both the 69RI and 65RI necks have a pretty good reputations, so I've kept my eyes open for either for awhile. I just refuse to pay the $350 +/- on ebay for the same 3 or 4 Buy-it-now necks listed and unsold for the past several months.
taylornutt wrote:...you will need to get some tinted clear coat to spray the maple parts of the neck...
Reranch is a great supplier, I wouldn't recommend anyone else if you were replicating a 50's or early 60's finish. I wouldn't recommend Nitro-cellulose on your neck, though. When it comes to deciding on your neck finish, do a little research on Tru-Oil (or T.O.). It's fast (playable in 7-10 days), and easy (no need to seal or grain fill), non-toxic (rub it on with your fingers!), cheap (under $10), and best of all, it will give even the novice finisher the most incredible feeling neck finish. You wont need to tint, either. I feel the natural amber color is perfect for the slightly aged look without approaching the stupid fake orangey high gloss "Vintage" OEM finish popular right now from Fender/Squier. T.O. gives a slick, never sticky, hard polymerized finish that gives the appearance of adding 1-3mm of depth, depending on the figure and grain of the wood. I'll try to take some pics for you.

There was a great thread on the reranch forum this past week on using T.O. to achieve that wonderful aged rosewood buffed gloss or shine as seen on 40+ year old fender fretboards. It was beautiful.

Reranch Nitro will be 45-60 days of cross your fingers, check the weather forecast, oh shit - why is it still tacky, why am I still dizzy 2 days after spraying, roll of the dice. (Okay, maybe not quite that bad... I'm actually a fan of theirs and have several rattle cans on the shelf!)
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.
xxhoixx

Post by xxhoixx »

I cut/pasted "JGRO - Replacement Neck for Jaguar" from the allparts site and did a search on google. This is what came back:

http://www.guitarpartssite.com/Allparts ... gro-ap.htm

Has anyone heard of this company? The Jaguar neck is there for $113.00...tempting but never heard of them.

*Texas...I'm thinking more and more on doing the rub on stuff. I don't have the space to do spraying so that option is best for me.