Dropped in the GFetish tremolo

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

izodiak

Dropped in the GFetish tremolo

Post by izodiak »

I wanted to change the tremolo on my Deluxe Players Stratocaster, cause the sustain was weak, and I thought maybe this would be an improvement.

So I ordered the one with the brass block on Guitarfetish (the whole tremolo system, cause my tremolo arms spring was lost, and I wanted to get it stiff again)

Im sorry that it is in gold,but all the hardware is in gold and Im kind of used to it.
And the screw alignments are a bit off, I order a tremolo cover, and only two screws are right. hah.

Here is the process in few pics -

Now I need to find the first string, but for now it sounds better actually..
There is an improvement in the sustain, and maybe this is my imagination but the tone is a bit darker not as bright, which is nice. (not very but a bit)
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Did you order the 'import' or 'made in usa' strat bridge? Where's the deluxe players strat made?
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

I ordered the Made in Mexico one.. Cause my strat is made in Mexico.
But the screws are a bit off..
:/

I cant screw in the sixth one.
George

Post by George »

Did you measure correctly first? Looks like it may be US spacing by the looks of it.

I would recommend taking the whole thing out right now and changing it back if you have ANY screws that aren't aligning right. Can't be healthy. Maybe contact Guitar Fetish, see what they say.
George

Post by George »

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/ ... =6&t=48732

BOOM!

You need a US spacing. I would take that shit out right now or your body could be getting fucked
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

So I cant even replace only the block, right?

Shiiit.

Anger.

When I took it out, it didnt look too bad under the bridge.
j
George

Post by George »

My advice is get that thing off NOW. By the time I've posted this I'm hoping you will have done it.

Yeah you will have to buy the whole new system I think. The Mexico one will sell on eBay though.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Yup, Ive taken it off.

Want to measure maybe the block fits,but probably wont.

Stupid, I ordered it all the way, got messed in my calculations from inches to cm, eh.

Aligns perfectly with a body I bought off here.. hah.
A standard mexican.

Thanks a lot for the advice,before I did any harm to my guitar, thanks thanks !
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The bridge you had in there to begin with is great, US spec with full sized steel block. Deluxe Players aren't sustain machines in my experience either, they channel 50's strats in that regard. My drummer had a lovely oly/pearl one.
If you prefer the brass block, just buy the US spec block. You only need the block, and can screw it to your stock bridge assembly, and it will accept your stock trem arm.
the whole tremolo system, cause my tremolo arms spring was lost, and I wanted to get it stiff again
Your trem claw is loosened all the way (unless you just did that to remove the springs more easily), that's the primary way of reducing a strat bridge's tension. Tighten the two leftmost screws in this pic. You also put your springs back sort of "backwards", close together at the block and spread out at the claw, in a way that might worsen the lack of tension (I would put them back the way they are in this pic or just go straight across with each one, like the middle one is). I realize I might be wrong/missing something, but that's where I'd start on any tension/resonance issues.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

paul_ wrote:The bridge you had in there to begin with is great, US spec with full sized steel block. Deluxe Players aren't sustain machines in my experience either...
+1

I cut and sanded down two small blocks of ash ~5-7 mm thick, wedged them in tight on either side of the block (fore and aft), and loaded all 5 springs. Seemed to help sustain.
paul_ wrote:If you prefer the brass block, just buy the US spec block...
I've seen quite a few used online or in guitar shops. I guess as all things that affect tone, people either love 'em or hate 'em.
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.