Sonoma FourTrack for iPhone

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

lorez

Sonoma FourTrack for iPhone

Post by lorez »

Has anyone used it?

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/fourtrack/

Just wondered how good it was and worth the time and effort
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Looks like a fun novelty and pretty cheap if you've already got an iPhone. Not sure the recording quality would be all that great but possibly good enough. It's a bit limiting in that you can only record single tracks at a time. It would be better if they made a version that allowed stereo recording.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yes, I use it. It's cool, but it's hardly gonna be pro quality or something you'd use. Fun for practicing vocal harmony or doing a bit of singer/songwriter stuff while traveling. The first thing I did with it was "parp" through my lips to sound like a trumpet, 4 tracks of that doing "The Stripper". I namechecked it as my favorite iPhone app in a previous thread, but now I prefer one that lets you download stuff from your browser into folders like a big boy computer (just to give an idea of how fleeting your interest in it may be... it's an iPhone app, not a software mixer). You can sync the individual tracks of a session to your computer over wi-fi and mix them further, which is kinda cool... the main problem is your source tracks have to be recorded with the headset or handset mics, which are for telephone purposes. So it'll sound like your phoning it in (har har but literally).

Oh and I got it during a sale... I saw this going for like $20? No way is it worth that.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
lorez

Post by lorez »

paul_ wrote:Yes, I use it. It's cool, but it's hardly gonna be pro quality or something you'd use. Fun for practicing vocal harmony or doing a bit of singer/songwriter stuff while traveling. The first thing I did with it was "parp" through my lips to sound like a trumpet, 4 tracks of that doing "The Stripper". I namechecked it as my favorite iPhone app in a previous thread, but now I prefer one that lets you download stuff from your browser into folders like a big boy computer (just to give an idea of how fleeting your interest in it may be... it's an iPhone app, not a software mixer). You can sync the individual tracks of a session to your computer over wi-fi and mix them further, which is kinda cool... the main problem is your source tracks have to be recorded with the headset or handset mics, which are for telephone purposes. So it'll sound like your phoning it in (har har but literally).

Oh and I got it during a sale... I saw this going for like $20? No way is it worth that.
Thanks Paul and Al, I was wondering about using it for just getting ideas down from my head, nothing more. And for £5.99 I thought it might be useful. Paul, you mention another app, what was it called and do you have a link for it?

Cheers
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I've been recording piano and acoustic guitar (ghey, I know) on the voice memo app and importing them into live. There's a whole song on Colossus that had it's source sounds iphon'd.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
knpknpknp

Post by knpknpknp »

I have it but haven't used it a ton. It is pretty cool if you want to just sketch a couple ideas down, but I doubt recording anything substantial on it would be very intuitive.

I think people have made breakout cables for these, but I can't remember where I saw it. Just with a quarter inch input and output. I'd like to build one of these, so at least you can listen to what you are recording without having the mic by your mouth (as in, recording with the standard ear buds)
knpknpknp

Post by knpknpknp »

duh, I should have googled beforehand.

http://benttronics.blogspot.com/2009/05 ... phone.html
Gap

Post by Gap »

I've used it for remembering little riff ideas on guitar but for band prac it just doesn't have the range or tolerance to capture enough of everything (unlike my Zoom H2, which does an alright job). It's got lovely features and is easy to import onto the puter and into Logic.

Having said that that there is the Blue Mic Stereo Mikey (now on v.2) that plugs in to the iphone or touch, which looks the bees knees with adjustable gain and USB port to keep the phone charged...

Fool me upgraded to the iPhone 4 which ain't compatible thanks to Apple changing the connector config!!!
This must be Thursday, I never could get the hang of Thursdays
jim93

Post by jim93 »

I use it to put down simple 4 track ideas but its nowhere near being something you could get something you would keep forever unless your going for a lofi flavor anyhow.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

LIVE FROM TOM'S COUCH
► Show Spoiler
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"