My New Gordon Smith GS1.60 (updated TLDR edition)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

My New Gordon Smith GS1.60 (updated TLDR edition)

Post by benecol »

Hey kids. Forgive me for not posting this up sooner, but I've been up to my eyeballs. Anyhow, short version: it's lovely.

Far too long version:
► Show Spoiler
As if that wasn't enough, I've also written a story about the ordering process:
► Show Spoiler
What's that? You want to see some terrible pictures taken on my phone? OK then...

New and improved million pictures, WARNING ICEYBOMB:
► Show Spoiler
Sorry gentle reader, what was that? You're interested in how it compares to an original Junior?
► Show Spoiler
Oh, and it weighs 6lb 12oz; fucking get in.[/align]
Last edited by benecol on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lorez

Post by lorez »

that sounds great Benecol, the process sounded a breeze and for the price you indicated your getting something so unique. amazing
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
NickS

Post by NickS »

I'm sure when your hands stop shaking and you post some decent pictures it'll look fantastic! ;)
George

Post by George »

Yeah, nice story behind it and it's great you can get everything you want handmade in the UK for such a good price. Looks great!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Needs tophats, mind. To eBay I go...
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Great guitar and story - really nice to hear you are happy with it and that the service provided was top quality.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

great news, guy. really glad you finally got it. plum beautiful.

huge neck is 'kin huge.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
mellowlogic

Post by mellowlogic »

Looks absolutely wonderful, glad you're happy with it.
St. Jimmy wrote:i didn't put fuck-all in your mouth, other than a dick of truth.
hotrodperlmutter wrote:i wouldn't bang those chicks with gaybear's dick.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Looks great, I've never tried a Les Paul Jr. I really should some time.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Looks ace Tim, great story too.
What mahogany did they use Tim? Honduran is supposedly light and just to note: my V is featherweight but still has the tone. Also with it being a light body does it suffer with neck dive?

Really pleased it turned out well.

What with you and lorez, you have both done/doing things i'd like to do: English custom made guitar and birth year guitar 8)

Incidently, i looked at a Gibbo LP Junior RI today in a shop, DC TV yellow model. The £1,699.00 asking price seemed a bit of a joke to say the least.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

It's Brazilian Cedar, Fran - same look and weight as Honduras mahogany, apparently, but much more hakuna matata for the planet, so I'm told: it's what a lot of nice acoustic guitars are made from. No neck dive at all, I think because of where the strap buttons are.

I love the DCs, and truth be told, a Gibson-shaped DC would have been my first choice, but that would have meant buying a Gibson... Had the Edwards DC, and that was a doozy, but the nut-end of the eck was too small for my tastes. Looked at a Tokai DC, but the GS worked out cheaper. In 21 years of playing the guitar, this is my first Les Paul-shaped guitar - was concerned about upper fret access, but it's fine. Reminds me a lot of a tele, which suits me down to the ground. It's the polar opposite of my Jazzmaster in terms of sounds, luxuriousness, scale, attitude (for want of a less wanky term) etc., which suits me down to the ground: I get all nadgy when I've got two guitars doing the same thing.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

That looks like tons o' fun, that boatish neck is fantastic.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Tim, that's looks immaculate and tasteful yet with HUMUNGOUS BALLS as I'd expect from your good self. It even made you say 'attitude' so it must be good.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I'm always amazed at how refined you come across on the forum considering that you're pretty much Danny Dyer in real life. At Progfest when the the rest of us were like "it's 8:30 time for a quiet cup of earl grey before beddy-bys hey wot chaps?" you were all "FARK YOU YOU FARKING CARRRRRRNNNNTS I'M GOING DOWN THE PUUUB TO GET LASHED YOU NONCESSSSSSS".

But I digress. Should there be a meet up this year will one be bringing the GS so we can rub our clammy hands over it????? i do hope so.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
JesusRancher

Post by JesusRancher »

Looking good, I am a bit of a johnny come lately considering I didn't even know gordon smith existed until I bought one yesterday. Love the fat looking neck looks cool. I am really overjoyed with mine, much better quality and value for money than the average yank plank.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I'll echo Dave here, as if the next meetup needs anymore reasons to turn up but this is one of them. Cant wait to neck bend try it. I may have read this but remind me; did you go the traditional GS route of brass but?
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

JesusRancher wrote:Looking good, I am a bit of a johnny come lately considering I didn't even know gordon smith existed until I bought one yesterday.
No worries dude. GS are the English Gibson, Patrick Eggle are the English PRS and Jaydee are just fucking awesome. :wink:
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Brass nuts for the win. I'm sure B mentioned it up thread. Too drunk to check. got one on my '65 mustang neck and its TITS-O-MATIC but i like the clang and the chang in a guitar.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Dave wrote:you're pretty much Danny Dyer in real life.
You're dead to me David.

[youtube][/youtube]