Small tube-based combo amp

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Al_

Small tube-based combo amp

Post by Al_ »

A may be in the market in a bit for a second guitar amp for the studio. Right now I've got a 15W THD Univalve with a 2x12 cab. I'd like to get something similar around the same wattage and tube-based; but as a combo; though the capability to drive an external cab would be cool. I'd like to spend $300 or less; and am ok getting something used. I like the Orange Tiny Terrors; and can wait around to see if one of those shows up on Craigslist or Ebay in that price range; though new they're a bit above. I'd like something with good overdrive/distortion tones as that's mainly what I'd be playing and/or bands that roll through the studio seem to play. People here seem to like the Fender Blues Jr. Others to consider? Thanks in advance.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i have a Laney VC15 and it is a cracker and will give you everything you need. I really like the drive channel as you can go from a nice crunch to all out fuzz and the clean channel is nice and chimey.

here is the laney demo

[youtube][/youtube]
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Haze

Post by Haze »

Find an ac15! Damn I love those amps... second hand should be around 400 but its a classic amp. The new ones have greenbacks which sound awesome.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I actually really like the vox night train over the tiny terror, and I see them go in the $300 to $350 range on craigslist all the time.

EDIT: I just realized you're looking for a combo. They don't make the night train in a combo. With the tiny terrors I doubt you'll find a combo for under $300 unless someone is trying to get rid of it crazy fast! That's even a low price for the head.
Last edited by Billy3000 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Thanks dudes. I'll keep an eye out for the Laney. Haze--what's the AC15--is that a Vox amp?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Al_ wrote:Thanks dudes. I'll keep an eye out for the Laney. Haze--what's the AC15--is that a Vox amp?
Oh yes.
The custom classic RIs are only about 6 bills, a used one would be good value.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

lorez wrote:i have a Laney VC15 and it is a cracker and will give you everything you need. I really like the drive channel as you can go from a nice crunch to all out fuzz and the clean channel is nice and chimey.

here is the laney demo

[youtube][/youtube]

I agree with this, cracking little amps
XY
Haze

Post by Haze »

god yes
[youtube][/youtube]
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Haze wrote:god yes
[youtube][/youtube]
This I <3 Vox's
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Right on, I'll keep my eye out.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Any opinions on the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT? There's one up on CL for $120.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

OK for a solid state.

A friend of mine has a fender hot rod on CL for 300. It is a bit worn out, but I am pretty sure it is in good shape from a sound perspective.

I think it is a 60 watter 2x12 or 4x10 though...Not sure. But for 300 (I amy be able to pick it up for a bit less...) it is a good deal. The big issue is the control plate is all oxidized so you can not read the controls. Easy enough to fix with either a new plate, a sharpie, and some stickers....

If you want me to give him a yell I will. Plus...He is in Vista pretty close to you.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
lorez

Post by lorez »

Al_ wrote:Any opinions on the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT? There's one up on CL for $120.
I had one but sold it after a bit as I wanted proper tube sound. My mate still has his though and loves it
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

The hot rod is a bit much as far as volume and is not known for it's OD channel, but with a peadl in front of it is is a pretty killer amp. Alto of the hate for them is due to the lackluster drive channel. It can do bluesy OD OK but not really good beyond that. BUT, but the MBM muff or Rat in front of it and you'd be good to go (plus it takes pedals extremely weel which makes it a very versatile amp)...

Another option would be to buy a jet city combo. They go for about 400 new, but find the right deal and you can get them for closer to 300 (I got mine I had awhile ago for 285 shipped to my house...) Great little amps. 20 watts, 1x12 speaker, great break-up, and really responsive to guitars and pedals, etc.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Thanks Mickie, I think I'll hold off for now until my funding alternatives become a bit clearer. I'm still enamoured with the Tiny Terror you had for awhile there so I may just end up holding out until I can afford one of those; or a Vox AC15 pops up somewhere.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

The Tiny Terrors are awesome but are about 850 for the combo/550 for the head. USed maybe 600 for the combo and 350-400 for the head. They are killer amps though. I may pick up another one of the jet city amps. If I do I will bring it down for you to check out as they are a pretty solid alternative to the Orange.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Cool, thanks.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I have been looking at the Egnater Tweaker. Seems like a good deal.
For ROCK TONES, the Jet City JC20A or whatever.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

Sloan wrote:I have been looking at the Egnater Tweaker. Seems like a good deal.
For ROCK TONES, the Jet City JC20A or whatever.
I have been eyeing the Tweaker Combo.... its a solid little amp and sounds great with a huge palet of tones...... I have not played the Jet City JC20 combo but my local shop has the head and 2x12 cab new for $450.... It was very tempting...but I held off on both cuz I do not NEED them currently..... But in 5 bill price range these would be my choices.... and I am an Orange guy at heart.... I currently am sporting a Dual Terror and OB 2x12
lorez wrote: I'm a fuzz lover so my clean is another man's crunch ;)
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

fuck buying all that shit new. it's all about UUUUSSSEEEEDDDD