Mean 90 Resurrection

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

SGJarrod

Mean 90 Resurrection

Post by SGJarrod »

I finished up my P90 project this week... I took the Epi SG I bought on here and gutted it for P90's... I ordered most everything from GFS and am very happy with their products. I went with the Mean 90's because I wanted a more true style P90 with Alinco V magnets. Also, new 500K Alpha pots, jack, switch, Dijon .022 tone caps, and vol mod/treble bleed. For my vol mods I always use a 470pf cap and a 220K resistor in parallel on the open lugs on the vol pot. I do this to all my guitars, It really makes the clean up on the vol knob have a great curve and it does not lose highs or get shrill. I am pleased with the results.

sorry for the shit camera..... also some of my ground solders are kinda messy, I have not mastered soldering the back of pots yet. I also had to get creative with the tone caps. Their huge and axial style so I had to snip the leads shorter. Then I soldered wire on each end and heat shrinked the connections. I then used the wire to run to the post as u can see.

lorez wrote: I'm a fuzz lover so my clean is another man's crunch ;)
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

lotsa screws homie.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

yeah but thats just how it is.... I decided I like the look of the half guard better than making a full face one.

I still need to make a cover for what use to be the battery drawer for the shit EMGz..... but for a low buget build I am happy... the EMGz sold for a hundo 8)
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

KILLER.

so... the GFS stuff is really the shit? even the pots 'n stuff?
i got lotsa projects to fix up here.
cheap and good is always... good.

nice!
my name is Pat.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

Pacafeliz wrote:KILLER.

so... the GFS stuff is really the shit? even the pots 'n stuff?
i got lotsa projects to fix up here.
cheap and good is always... good.

nice!

Thanks Brosiff

The pick ups are as good as any HB sized P90s I have heard...responsive, very full and punchy, especially the neck, and all I can say about the bridge is BITE galore. Not much hum either..... The pots are full sized Alpha's. Alpha's are the best budget friendly pots...that is what I use in all the pedals I build, the jack is switchcraft and the switch is a "switchcraft style" and is solid with firm feel. Out of this guitar the only things I did not get from GFS are the tone caps and the vol mod parts.... I mean shit, I even got the solder from them and it was quality....
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

but in the end... you've got a killer guitar, it's like having a NEW guitar... for, under a 100 bucks, i guess?

i still have my 1st guitar, an old epi les paul, lying around somewhere. pickups sucked, i took 'em out. and same with the pots, wiring, tuners and pretty much everything.
but damn, it's me frigging 1st guitar... it deserves to be played!

i'll GFS too, from now on. i've read so many good things about 'em now. i mean, for the buck.

but i am no "corksniffer". gimme any dirty grimey guitar that makes some sorta sound, it's ok with me.
but restoring the old lester... WITH p90 -.--- HELL YEAH!!!

thnx!
my name is Pat.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

Guitar = $100
GFS Order = $112 shipped
NGD = Priceless
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Pacafeliz wrote:but in the end... you've got a killer guitar, it's like having a NEW guitar... for, under a 100 bucks, i guess?

i still have my 1st guitar, an old epi les paul, lying around somewhere. pickups sucked, i took 'em out. and same with the pots, wiring, tuners and pretty much everything.
but damn, it's me frigging 1st guitar... it deserves to be played!

i'll GFS too, from now on. i've read so many good things about 'em now. i mean, for the buck.

but i am no "corksniffer". gimme any dirty grimey guitar that makes some sorta sound, it's ok with me.
but restoring the old lester... WITH p90 -.--- HELL YEAH!!!

thnx!
I've also restored one of my early guitars (an Epi G400, cherry SG) with GFS bits and Mean 90s. An improvement over it's like-new condition any day of the week (not that it was like new when I did this, I had reset the neck and the stock buckers had melted, being bobbin-less and held together with wax). I'd second everything SGJarrod said, it was a pleasant experience all round and feels like getting a new guitar.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Instead of selling my Gibson SG standard and buying a classic or 60's tribute, I'm actually just considering going with some HB sized P90's, I might just have to give these GFS ones a shot!
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

I just got back from having this axe professionally set up... It could use a fret leveling (thats an Epi for ya) but I decided against a $80 process on a $200 guitar but the dude did do some hand leveling and crowning with the set up... he just did not do the milling... was well worth the $40 and this thing sounds great now

also, HotRod, I got to play an all original '68? SG Melody maker while I was waiting 8) 8) 8)

I took a cell pic but cannot get it to upload correctly
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

Great shielding skills! That guitar indeed looks awesome.
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

SGJarrod wrote:yeah but thats just how it is.... I decided I like the look of the half guard better than making a full face one.
Half guards on SGs are MILES better - looks good.
I'd get some black screws for the pickup rings though.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thom wrote:
SGJarrod wrote:yeah but thats just how it is.... I decided I like the look of the half guard better than making a full face one.
Half guards on SGs are MILES better - looks good.
I'd get some black screws for the pickup rings though.
I agree to all of this. Never been a fan of the big guard SGs, and the pickup rings would look pretty snazzy with black screws.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

currently the pu ring screws are black, I used a permanent marker on the screw heads for now, If you let it dry it actually stays on there quite well, this is just a jerry rig until I place an order from somewhere, I refuse to pay $5 in shipping for $2 worth of screws.... :roll:

and yes it does look better this way