Amplitube with Logic: Hissing Sound

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Amplitube with Logic: Hissing Sound

Post by Bacchus »

Hello, this is probably a really obvious noob question, but:

I'm using Fender Amplitube with Logic as an Audio Unit and it sounds great, except that when it's engaged it makes a huge hissing sound every seven seconds or so, and they last about three quarters of a second each. It doesn't happen when the unit is bypassed, only when it's engaged.

Does this sound familiar? Is it me giving the processor too much work to do or something?
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Seems strange. Are there any other plugins you have enabled that could be interacting badly? What audio interface are you using; and is it daisy chained to any other converters or anything? I've had white noise blasts from plugins on occasion when things weren't shut down properly or something along those lines. Never seen a cyclical issue like that. Not sure if there are any amplitube forums on the web but might be worth poking around a bit for one to see if it's a common issue.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'm using a Presonus Firebox and a 2GHz White MacBook, guitar straight into the Firebox, into the computer.

I've Logic's compressor running at the same time, but that's it. I've tried googling "amplitube hissing noise" but most of what comes up seems to be fourteen year olds recording for the first time and having issues with background noise.

Amplitube has worked well in the past for me, and this is the 15th track to be layed down in this session, so I'm wondering if that's causing a problem, the fact that there's so much going on. I'll try bouncing some of it down to one track as a scratch track, opening that in another session, recording the bass, then importing that back into the main session, see if that fixes it.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Some companies put a feature like that on trial software. Is it possible your version is limited to 14 tracks and the 15th acts like demo software? If that's the case it will be regular in timing and consistent in sound.

I think it's more likely an issue with your ram being overloaded or something like that (which could be down to a plugin that hogs it rather than low ram on your system) but the first thing it reminded me of was some trial/demo plugins.
Shabba.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

James wrote:Some companies put a feature like that on trial software. Is it possible your version is limited to 14 tracks and the 15th acts like demo software? If that's the case it will be regular in timing and consistent in sound.

I think it's more likely an issue with your ram being overloaded or something like that (which could be down to a plugin that hogs it rather than low ram on your system) but the first thing it reminded me of was some trial/demo plugins.
Hmmm, that very well might be an issue James.

I'll try it on a session by itself and if it's still making the sounds, then I'll reinstall as necessary.
Reece

Post by Reece »

i have a similar issue if I'm using lots of tracks and those tracks are using plugins.

i can only have about four tracks with amplutibe running before i start to get dropouts. have you tried disabled a few other plugins that you might have running on other tracks?
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

BacchusPaul wrote:Hmmm, that very well might be an issue James.
I don't think it's likely as if they limit the number of instances that run without it would be low like only 1 or 2, 14 would be more than enough for the majority of people so the only reason I can think of that it would run like that is if it's a limit on a non-pro version or something like that.

It's much more likely to be a hardware issue, but if you find the sound is exact in it's repetitions it's worth having a look at there being a software problem.
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Reece wrote:i have a similar issue if I'm using lots of tracks and those tracks are using plugins.

i can only have about four tracks with amplutibe running before i start to get dropouts. have you tried disabled a few other plugins that you might have running on other tracks?
Or bouncing the Amplitube'd tracks to wet tracks and removing the synth instance.