Gibson Gothic Revival

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Sloan
Sexy Predator

Gibson Gothic Revival

Post by Sloan »

What?
Gibson made a strange move and introduced the new Gothic Morte series that only includes an sg and an lp. Fucktards need to grow a pair and do a fucking V.

MY THOUGHTS
Comes with active pickups, why they didn't just get fucking EMG 81/85, i don't know. People are going to put the EMG's in there if they want active. I just hope Gibson has an easy change battery thing or else they really fucked up.

LP doesn't come with pickgaurd, i prefer my lp with the pickguard. just include it you fucks.

The gold text/logo on the headstock is ugly as fuck. The old white Goth outline text is much, much better.

I like the blank fretboard, but instead of ebony they are using some other shit African Obeche. I bet this is much cheaper than ebony but will it be as rad?

The fucking hardware around the toggle switch is chrome. black it out retards.

Are these satin finishes? If not, fuck, that was the coolest thing.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

just got the email about these too.... I think its a dumb move...these guitars were ugo the first time around....
lorez wrote: I'm a fuzz lover so my clean is another man's crunch ;)
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

these guitar have more potential than a lot of stuff they're releasing.

there are a lot of small things wrong though. the non-black switch/input look stupid as well as the gold font on the headstock. so, I pretty much agree with everything you have said.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Everything about them seems to scream "convenience" while doing a reissue of sorts, which I guess should be expected of Gibson these days.

Given the right band situation I'd have rocked the old ES-135 after throwing in a set of German Silver-plated Moollon Standards, regardless of how silly the matte finish looked. Wouldn't hesitate to get my Simon Gallup on play a low-swinging Thunderbird on my knee either.

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

That Thundebird Bass looks so fucking cool.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

yeah, the main aesthetic problem i saw with my epi goth 'bird was the fucking pickguard.

SO UGLY

i still jam on my goth LP from time to time. the pickups are pretty great. plus the guitar was only $20.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Hahahah, sorry for your loss. Kinda.

Yar, I'd rather go for the Epi Thunderbird Pro.

$499. Mahogany wings, 7-piece through neck. Active High/Low circuit with hums that don't seem to sound that bad ( LINKOLA ), no band-aid silkscreen on the guard.

IMO, the Thunderbird actually feels good to play with the awkward weight distribution, the same basic issue that turned me way off from my friend's Orville Firebird. You've got less to grab on the left side, and your right arm can both thump or strum with ease at a wide range of angles.
► Show Spoiler
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

Goth LP/SG - want dots, pguard (on LP), all black hardware, silver script, V's, Explorers? Also, those new pickups are called GEM actives. What a rip.

Goth Epi LP - great guitar for the cash (about $100). pretty well made.

Goth Epi T-bird - I love mine. I have no idea why I tried to sell it before. get a new pickguard if you haet the cross. I just spraypainted mine (although I did keep the cross).

T-bird PRO - This bass actually has a much slimmer neck than the goth or the IV. It's really comfy and most are coming out now with the strap button in the correct place. I'll get one sooner or later (hopefully sooner). Sounded really versatile when I played one.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Ya know, I REALLY liked the original Gibson Gothic SG; the matte black finish with the moon inlay at the 12th fret was nice n' stylish. The rest of the Gothic line didn't do it for me.

Likewise, the new Satin finish Gothics don't do it for me. Add active pickups to the mix and... well, no thank you.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

I have the old school Gothic LP. The new "Gothic Morte" just seems cheap and poorly finished. No picture of Orville on the reverse of the headstock, no pickguard on the LP, just the generic studio gold headstock sticker, chrome output jack...

When I first heard they were bringing these out, I was excited for a chance to pick up an SG to complement my LP... but yeah... no thanks.

Oh well, at least it's better than the "Menace" line with the totally sweet knuckles on the fretboard.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

Steve! I didn't know you were on here!
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Yeah, I have short stubby singers, so I'm partial to short scale necks. I don't post much, obviously, but it's always fun to read around.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

StevePirates wrote:I don't post much, obviously...
23 posts in 4 years... yeah, that fall in "don't post much" territory :P
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Earth

Post by Earth »

Just FYI: they are satin and they don't use grain filler (open pore finish), same as the melody makers.

This is a turn off to some but not me, I like it...I don't however like these.
brianjdc

Post by brianjdc »

isnt Obeche a blonde wood? are they dying the fingerboards?
guitars: mustang 65ri, cp jaguar, cp based jazzblaster, cp based jazzmaster, harm vi, gibson lp jr, seagull 66 string,seagull s12+, dobro, jazz bass
effects: way too many
amps: mesa boogie roadster, mesa boogie stiletto trident
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

brianjdc wrote:isnt Obeche a blonde wood? are they dying the fingerboards?

lol it is!!!

http://www.advantagelumber.com/obeche.htm
brianjdc

Post by brianjdc »

it's also cheap as hell. last time i stop at the local lumber shop they gave me a hunk of it for free when i picked up a plank of ash. tried telling me it was this super exotic wood... if so why was it free? lol oh shit, it was actually the place you linked.. lol

best quote from the description "Extensively used where durability and strength are unimportant" shakes head
guitars: mustang 65ri, cp jaguar, cp based jazzblaster, cp based jazzmaster, harm vi, gibson lp jr, seagull 66 string,seagull s12+, dobro, jazz bass
effects: way too many
amps: mesa boogie roadster, mesa boogie stiletto trident
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

brianjdc wrote: "Extensively used where durability and strength are unimportant"
HOLY SHIT.
haha.
Earth

Post by Earth »

brianjdc wrote:isnt Obeche a blonde wood? are they dying the fingerboards?
They also dye ebony as the ebony they use is never a uniform color.