Mustang 69 Competition, no sound through line in

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

herrojew

Mustang 69 Competition, no sound through line in

Post by herrojew »

I'm using a plain 1/4 to 3.5mm jack going from my guitar to my computer. My Epiphone SG works perfectly fine with this set up, and it works wonderfully through Amplitube 3. However, with my Fender 69 Mustang Competition, I'm not getting any sound at all. The input level, which indicates any noise coming from the line in jack, shows nothing. Help.

Are the single coils in the Mustang the problem?
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Does the guitar work through an amp? The mustang will be noticeably lower output than the SG, but if there is no sound there is something wrong with the connection.
herrojew

Post by herrojew »

cobascis wrote:Does the guitar work through an amp? The mustang will be noticeably lower output than the SG, but if there is no sound there is something wrong with the connection.
It works fine through an Amp... :\
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

You may need a preamp to boost the signal. Does the computer get any input at all or a flat response?
Al_

Post by Al_ »

That or a direct box. The guitar isn't likely putting out a signal close to line level that your 1/8-in mini jack on your sound card is looking for. Your other guitar must have a high enough output to work; though it would probalby work/sound better through a direct box/instrument input as well.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Turn the mic input on your computer way down and try it in there. That includes a small preamp that will boost the signal. Your guitar will probably put out more than a standard 3.5mm jack mic, though, so be careful not to overload it.
Shabba.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

James wrote:Turn the mic input on your computer way down and try it in there. That includes a small preamp that will boost the signal. Your guitar will probably put out more than a standard 3.5mm jack mic, though, so be careful not to overload it.
This was gonna be my suggestion. The mic input has some volume control and boost, whereas a line is straight input. Just be careful to turn the mic input volume down and move it up until you get signal.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Be careful about the levels when you run a line-in. Blew out my input jack a few weeks after I got my macbook. Was still under applecare, but shit can be DEADLY. ;)