HH Classic Player Jag?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

limeypip

Post by limeypip »

Sorry
I know nothing about the ss jags and i don't think i've ever heard one, unless it's been on a recording without me realizing.
Medicine Melancholy

Post by Medicine Melancholy »

Really torn between the two - leaning towards the SS but the versatility of the HH is just amazing and people who have them seem to love them. They both look great. I'm not a huge humbucker gal though except for the big stoner/doom tones and the odd bit of death metal. Still, the HH can do decent single coil tones whereas it might be hard to coax those tones out of the SS Jag.

A lot of people are saying the CIJs are just better overall though, and a lot of them come premodded with a Mustang bridge. May have to consider one of those, and shove in the Classic Player pickups.
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

I ended up hating my CP Jag HH. I loved the way it looked...hated the way it played. The neck was too thick, and the 9.5 radius felt wrong especially since the bridge didn't match. I never liked the pickups either. There was no difference in sound between the neck and bridge. I had to put a hotter bridge pickup in. I put a CIJ neck and mustang bridge on it, which felt better, but I couldn't get it to intonate right at all. I ended up selling it, with the intention of getting a CIJ one someday. Just my two cents.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

I'm sure this question has been answered a billion times, but what does the radius have to do with the bridge? I understand the nut width and bridge being related, but I thought the radius just dealt with the curve of the neck?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

StevePirates wrote:I'm sure this question has been answered a billion times, but what does the radius have to do with the bridge? I understand the nut width and bridge being related, but I thought the radius just dealt with the curve of the neck?
The bridge curve has to match the curve of the radius of the neck. A flat modern neck with a vintage bridge or a vintage neck with a flat bridge doesn't work unless you can adjust the string heights to match the radius. Mustang bridges matched the curve of Vintage Jaguar and Jazzmaster necks.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
rlm2112

Post by rlm2112 »

The bridge saddle height is supposed to match the radius of the neck, at least on most guitars. The original neck was 9.5" and the bridge was 12" like a gibson. That was slightly annoying, but playable. When I put the CIJ neck on with a 7.25" radius, the top and bottom string were too high even with the bridge lowered all the way.

Maybe It's just me, but I can feel things like mismatched radius easier on a shortscale.
NJjoanjettfan wrote: Boy am I glad I got my Fender Lead II and Lead III when I did. I've even swapped off the necks to save the originals from wear.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

rlm2112 wrote:I ended up hating my CP Jag HH. I loved the way it looked...hated the way it played. The neck was too thick, and the 9.5 radius felt wrong especially since the bridge didn't match. I never liked the pickups either. There was no difference in sound between the neck and bridge. I had to put a hotter bridge pickup in. I put a CIJ neck and mustang bridge on it, which felt better, but I couldn't get it to intonate right at all. I ended up selling it, with the intention of getting a CIJ one someday. Just my two cents.
Let me echo everything he said. The CP Jaguar HH is an amazing guitar to look at, buy it just has too many things that need to be worked out which is why I didn't buy one.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

I've played 3 CP jags and loved them all, as opposed to every CIJ i've ever picked up. That's personal taste though. The CIJs take the flaws vintage jags have and make them worse (with the exception of the black HH specials, which are different beasts).
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Medicine Melancholy wrote:Yeah, I was thinking the "jag" tone was largely down to the bridge though, especially since the Jazzmaster has very different P'ups but still has that surfy vibe.

Though that said most offset owners seem to gravitate towards "better" bridges, so maybe it's not really that much of a factor.

I think I'll probably go for the SS CAR. But if I hear some impressive clips of the HH, I might go for that instead. They're both very pretty guitars.

Does the Rhythm circuit have a 250k pot in it? I imagine that makes the neck sound a lot more like a regular strat pickup. Which isn't a bad thing. Can i use the pickup switch as a kill switch?
It might be an idea to go to a shop and try these guitars out to see which one you prefer, rather than rely on youtube clips or whatever. I would be very reluctant to buy a guitar I haven't played myself, unless it was dirt cheap and worth a punt.
Last edited by johnnyseven on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

StevePirates wrote:I'm sure this question has been answered a billion times, but what does the radius have to do with the bridge? I understand the nut width and bridge being related, but I thought the radius just dealt with the curve of the neck?
The upshot with 9.5 neck and 12 bridge is middle strings are closer to the fretboard and get further away as you move out from the centre. Doesn't bother some folks but bothers the heck out of me. I need good action so as not to aggravate some joint damage in my index finger alas. Plus I'm anally retentive with set ups
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Medicine Melancholy

Post by Medicine Melancholy »

johnnyseven wrote:
Medicine Melancholy wrote:Yeah, I was thinking the "jag" tone was largely down to the bridge though, especially since the Jazzmaster has very different P'ups but still has that surfy vibe.

Though that said most offset owners seem to gravitate towards "better" bridges, so maybe it's not really that much of a factor.

I think I'll probably go for the SS CAR. But if I hear some impressive clips of the HH, I might go for that instead. They're both very pretty guitars.

Does the Rhythm circuit have a 250k pot in it? I imagine that makes the neck sound a lot more like a regular strat pickup. Which isn't a bad thing. Can i use the pickup switch as a kill switch?
It might be an idea to go to a shop and try these guitars out to see which one you prefer, rather than rely on youtube clips or whatever. I would be very reluctant to buy a guitar I haven't played myself, unless it was dirt cheap and worth a punt.
Yeah, but there aren't any locally sadly. I can play a friend's CIJ Jag, that's about it.