First guitars

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

NickS

Post by NickS »

pumpkin wrote:Image
Your first guitar was a Gibson? I remember a lad at school got a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top from his Gran, who went into Yardley's and asked for the best electric guitar they had. There was a lot of muttering among those of us who were making do with Ekos and Futuramas.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

My first guitar was a $150 Vantage Strat copy with frets like a breadknife.

It looked exactly like this, only sunburst

IT SUUUUUUUCKED
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

my first guitar was/is a 1952 Harmony acoustic that my dad had bought when he was 14...

i started playing around on it in 1991 or so...

in 1994 my dad helped me buy my first electric...
and Ibanez EX (that i had until only a few months ago when i ended up giving it to a friend who was in need of a guitar, after his strat was stolen, instead of selling it)
apparently the only photo i have on my photo bucket of it is from ages ago..

lorez

Post by lorez »

my first bass was a Hondo ricky Copy like this I got for £50. Did me for my first band as well

plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Legend Les Paul copy I got when I was 17. Played it through my Dad's hifi until I got an amp about 6 months later!

It's actually a pretty decent guitar and I've recorded with it loads, especially since the pup swap.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Mine was a Dean Z Strat HSS . Black , white fretboard and chrome pickguard.. Actually had a real Floyd Rose ( took me forever to figure how to change the strings . I got it super cheap from my best friend whose Grandfather bought him a US Strat.
I actually miss that guitar . That and my Japanese Charvel with Jackson active electrics . :cry:
Auriemma

Post by Auriemma »

I got my first guitar circa 1970...

Kingston 3/4 scale "Folk" guitar
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

My first guitar was a MIM Fender strat, that I got as a christmas gift when I was 15. I was too busy being on a year round swim team to have a job, so I had no money to buy one for myself, and after more than a year of begging my parents to get me a guitar I told them that for christmas I didn't want anything except for a guitar, and I wasn't going to tell them anything else because if I did that would mean I wouldn't get the guitar. So I guess they finally realized I was serious about wanting to play, and they decided to buy me a nice one for a starter guitar! I got this along with a Fender Frontman 15 amp. It served me well for a few years and was covered in stickers, then I took all the stickers off, then I covered it in stickers again, then stripped them off again. It's been taken apart while trying to learn how wiring guitars works, and then put back together numerous times. I love that guitar, and still have it at my dad's house. I'll never get rid of it.

My first bass was this POS epiphone p bass copy that I bought at a music go round because it was the cheapest bass I could find at the time and wanted to start playing bass. It originally had a black pickguard, I don't have any pictures of it from when I first got it because it only worked long enough to last past the return policy at music go round. The pickup literally fell apart one day while I was playing it at one of the first practices in the first band I played bass in. The guitar player in that band had the amp I was using (Fender BXR 60) and he lent me his yamaha bass, so that thing was more my first bass than this epiphone was since I actually used that more during my early bass playing days after the epi crapped out. The epi sat in the corner of my room forever, it got knocked over and stepped on by my clumsy drummer in that band, and the pickguard got smashed in, which is why I put this all parts tortoise shell one on it when I fixed it up a few years later. It's since been taken apart again when I put that SD 1/4 lb pickup in my jazz bass that I no longer have. The fretboard cracked around the nut after I fixed it up and put strings on it, so I don't know how playable it is anymore. I've thought about fixing it up again, but will wait until I find a really cheap/free pickup to put in it, and it needs a new nut since the old one cracked in half and fell off and disappeared in the years since I last took it apart.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

First Acoustic: Airline 7032

This was my dad's old guitar he never played and was purchased at Montgomery Ward. Made from Solid mahogany on the back and sides. Needs a neck reset because the top has sunk in. You could drive a car under the action. It was a tough guitar to learn on with the high action. But is sounds great and projects like a jumbo acoustic. Reminds me of a GS Taylor.

It's actually here with me at work to give guitar lessons today.

First Electric: PRS McCarty Standard

Bought it after college. I was a great guitar but just not for me. Sold it and bought my AVRI Jaguar.

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Fran wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Thats pretty fucking neat. Like a budget version of the Page Hamilton ESP sig.

I started out with a little black Encore E1 that came with a tiny 1 watt Encore amp. Then a couple years later I got an AXL les paul copy and a Boss DS-1.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

My first was some no-name acoustic that sucked hard, never would intonate, probably because it was flipped to lefty and the bridge was then off. Whatever.

First electric was a Peavey Predator. Looked just like this one.

I still have it, actually I loved that guitar. I threw it all over the place and my Dad threw it down some stairs a few times during our frequent fights when I was a teen. It survived it all and always played great.

Thus, I have been on a long process to convert it a bit and get back to playing it again. I did this a while back as a test run to learn the refin process, and do a bit of woodworking. The cut I did isn't bad considering I did it completely with hand tools. I also learned that no matter what, filling a route completely with putty is really, really, really fucking hard to get back to level. It sands down so much faster than real wood. It's still not done, needs a custom pickguard cut which is gonna be my first attempt to make a guard.
► Show Spoiler
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

we've already done threads similar to this, but my first guitar was a '59 Les Paul Melody Maker, which i sold for a retarded amount of money and bought my audi, which i later sold for an even more mentally-challenged amount of money for a down payment on a house. which i'm giving away for a retardedly low amount of money to my soon to be ex-wife, and i end up with nothing.

pretty shitty exchange, if you ask me. i wish i still had that car.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

NickS wrote:
dezb1 wrote:Avon Rose morris Les Paul Bought from a guy at school for £10

Still got it?
Naw... sold it to buy a CSL / ibanez les Paul copy that my brother in-law now has.
XY
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

I think my first electric was like this

and my second was like this

stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

lorez wrote:my first bass was a Hondo ricky Copy like this I got for £50. Did me for my first band as well
► Show Spoiler
teh peter hookz!

my first guitar was similar to this-
► Show Spoiler
but not exactly the same. it had a red to black burst and 'synchromatic' on the headstock (not 'electromatic'), a white pearloid guard and black speed knobs. i've only ever seen another one or two like it, they must have been short-lived.
Addam

Post by Addam »

Westone Spectrum ST bought for £60 off a mate who was buying a Washburn with floyd rose and all that shit.
I had loads of hassle with the trem and ended up locking it down and fucking the bar off.

Played it for what seemed like years through an incredibly old top-loading Baird VCR, that had a 1/4" input jack in front.
The sound that came out my telly was really distorted and bassy as fuck.

My first amp was a little 15w squier, I would crank the gain then tweak the volume and master to get maximum rock tones without blowing the neighbours away.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

A school friend had one of those little Squier amps with a Squier Bullet strat.

Wish I could get one of those amps myself they were great. The shitty little Fender Frontman 15 watt I just picked up has packed in already :evil:
Last edited by rps-10 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

The Squier 15 was the amp-du-jour when I was a lad: I wasn't lucky enough to have one (had a terrible Gorilla), but soon after bought a Pearl copy of a Fender Twin: while this didn't quite get the natural breakup I was hoping for (ahem) it was louder than bombs.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

My first was a n old Yamaha FG-45 with a 19" scale that my mom had setup with nylon strings to spare my fingers. I still have the guitar and the first set of strings coiled up in the case. I started playing at 8 and the FG's 1.5" neck was too wide for me.

My first electric was a Squier standard strat that I also still have.