Squier Making The Cyclone Again .

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

endsjustifymeans wrote:
Pens wrote:Define "fucked".

I'm ordering the LPB tonight. My son hasn't given a definitive answer if he wants it or not, so if he doesn't I'll be reselling it on here.
Lol, future dibs if I don't buy one by then. ;)
Ordered today. I'll let ya know if the boy passed on the guitar for xmas.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I just checked out the musician's friend page and saw the blue one! Holy crap it looks awesome! I still plan on buying the Squier J Mascis as my next guitar purchase, but I will definitely consider one of these after that!
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Fran wrote:
dots wrote:
ekwatts wrote:I'd only want the Cyclone to mod and mod and mod, and I'm trying to get out of that a little bit.
it took me a while to break that habit, too. i was always changing out electronics, pick guards, tuners, etc. . . i finally figured out that (a) there are guitars out there stock with the options i was adding
I'm also at this point, only took me 15 years to wake up..
The other day i realized very little i own is stock and most of it is temperamental in some way or other. I even considered selling a shitload of stuff and just buying one decent functional guitar that is reliable.
Having said that i'll probably buy one of these and fit an EMG in it, roller nut, grovers... :lol:
lalz

I have my Batwing, Nu-Sonic, Alden Gaudycaster Hollowbody, Jaguar and my Danelectro. Of all of those the ones I've modified extensively are the Jaguar and the Nu-Sonic. Well, I've modified the Batwing by adding string trees which were curiously absent from mine while present on every other example I've seen (and I installed ROLLER TREES! Because everything is better when it has rolly wheels) but it's otherwise perfect in its stock form; the pickups and pickup options, the trem, the neck, the shape, it's all pretty much spot-on. I'm constantly eye-ing up potential upgrades, but they tend to be things like the Hipshot tremsetter, new bridge saddles (with ROLLY WHEELS!) or something like that.

That's why I'm more excited about the idea of picking up the Mascis Jazzy. There's just so little about it I can think of that I'd want to change. Maybe a new drop-in replacement bridge (with ROLLY WHEELS!) and maybe a Fender trem with the lock button, but that's about it. Even the pickups would probably remain the same.

I still wouldn't pass up the Cyclone if it was thrown at me, though.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Supersonicman wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:it felt like plastic. just like those single humbucker bullets from years back. white wood, shitty rosewood, gnarfrets, and shit tuners. only good for firewood, and they smell like burning hair when on fire.

sounds like a great beginner guitar if they can straighten the neckfail.
The original run had perfectly good necks, and I definitely love the neck on my 2003 cyclone, which was many times better than the MIM Strat of the same make year I traded for it.
IIRC, the fenders had perfectly good necks. The squier I played was that "satin" (aka unfinished) and all hard edges and barbed wire frets.
Also it sounded like a bucket of nails.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

yeah, the fender ones were nice and felt exactly like a strat. the squiers were shit.

FUCKED.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Well, I'll let y'all know when mine arrives how it plays.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

well, why don't you just find some right-hander that's walking down the sidewalk and ask them to do an demo. i don't really want to know your opinion of how it plays upside-down.

:o
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

ITT: Carl literally begs for screwdriver to genital combat.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

how hard is it to sand + add coats of gloss lacquer to a satiny neck? that and some fret filing should be enough to fix any cheap squier neck, no?
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

brainfur wrote:how hard is it to sand + add coats of gloss lacquer to a satiny neck? that and some fret filing should be enough to fix any cheap squier neck, no?
Not too difficult, but when paying for a finished product, one expects a finished product.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

endsjustifymeans wrote:
brainfur wrote:how hard is it to sand + add coats of gloss lacquer to a satiny neck? that and some fret filing should be enough to fix any cheap squier neck, no?
Not too difficult, but when paying for a finished product, one expects a finished product.
Also, re finsihing is actually really tie consuming, and hard to do niceley, IMO. Also its best to hav specialized tools to dress frets. Even with them, I worked for a good hour on a set of frets that were "almost there"
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Supersonicman

Post by Supersonicman »

aen wrote:
Supersonicman wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:it felt like plastic. just like those single humbucker bullets from years back. white wood, shitty rosewood, gnarfrets, and shit tuners. only good for firewood, and they smell like burning hair when on fire.

sounds like a great beginner guitar if they can straighten the neckfail.
The original run had perfectly good necks, and I definitely love the neck on my 2003 cyclone, which was many times better than the MIM Strat of the same make year I traded for it.
IIRC, the fenders had perfectly good necks. The squier I played was that "satin" (aka unfinished) and all hard edges and barbed wire frets.
Also it sounded like a bucket of nails.
I was actually talking about the 2003 Squier Cyclone, not the fender version. The neck on it is great, and I love that thing to death. It plays better than my Jag-stang.
Rox

Post by Rox »

I'm surprised there's some haters on the Squier ... Great guitars for the most part . I've played the Squier and the Fender version Cyclones( early 2000s. Not back to back but played both ) . Both play great . Both play surprisingly different . I thought the pickups sucked on the Squier but the neck was better . Matter of opinion . I like the satin. I sanded the neck on my Mustang slightly for the effect .
I'm expecting a good guitar with a good neck and shitty electrics . Pickups and pots are so much easier and cheaper to beef up than a bad neck..... Opinion...
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Why the doubt on the electrics? The "stock" Squiers I've taken apart recently have all had Alpha pots and other branded or named bits installed in them.

Would love one of these, probably sunburst, relic it a bit then drop a floyd in it :twisted:
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

You will find lots of love for Squier here. Just the previous Squier Cyclones were not very good for some people. Considering Squier's recent improvements, I am betting they will be decent.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Supersonicman

Post by Supersonicman »

Rox wrote:I'm surprised there's some haters on the Squier ... Great guitars for the most part . I've played the Squier and the Fender version Cyclones( early 2000s. Not back to back but played both ) . Both play great . Both play surprisingly different . I thought the pickups sucked on the Squier but the neck was better . Matter of opinion . I like the satin. I sanded the neck on my Mustang slightly for the effect .
I'm expecting a good guitar with a good neck and shitty electrics . Pickups and pots are so much easier and cheaper to beef up than a bad neck..... Opinion...
Weird, because my cyclone(squier) is actually number two in sound and playability in my guitar selection, and is definitely there to either provide the balls that my tele may lack at times, or just as a straight up back up to my cvc.
bubbastain

Post by bubbastain »

Ordered one on monday. Total was $162 after tax. Backordered though and won't ship out until Dec. 9th.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I had a jagstang fall in my lap for a song so I canned my order. Can't wait to see the reports once the Cyclones come in. The price is unreal IMO.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Still waiting for mine to arrive. I'll play it both upside down, and BONUS! I'll play it right handed, in which case I'll still manage to play better than hotrod.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

oh looky here, someone either had a birthday or got their years supply of jokes for an early christmas.