What's a good inexpensive, lighter HH set neck guitar?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

honeyiscool wrote:
nyck wrote:PRS SE.
haters will hate, but they sound good and the quality is pretty sweet. But of course, they're kinda ugly.
Yeah honestly I should consider them, too, shouldn't I? They fit exactly everything I said, except they look like PRSes.
If you're gonna do one:

If you want SUPERLITE:
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

^ not set neck, but super nice. i want one real hard.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
cooter

Post by cooter »

You can pick up an 80s Electra Workingman for $200-$300 on ebay.
Electra made some great guitars, really well made. Not sure if they made a set neck model though.

I just bought a 1975 Electra Super Rock for $300 and it's more Les Paul than half of what Gibson is putting out these days.
The Super Rock is really heavy like a Les Paul, the Workingman model is thinner and lighter.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Thom wrote:
Doog wrote:Cort do some very decent setneck stuff, no idea of the availability or prices in the US though.
+1 I used to have an M200 and it was pretty nice.
+2.

I always forget about Cort. Unfashionable but great value.
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

....and I always forget that people care about set necks. I guess that makes all my suggestions redundant. :roll:
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Nick wrote:
If you want SUPERLITE:
They had 2 of those used at my friends store.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:Also, have LAG guitars made it across the pond at all? I've heard lots of good reports about them, though I've never tried one myself.

A local guitar ripoff emporium store here in Dublin has them, I wasn't impressed to say the least. Decorated plywood IMHO.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:....and I always forget that people care about set necks. I guess that makes all my suggestions redundant. :roll:
Some people like the heel better on set necks/neck thru. Other than that set neck is rather pointless, some of my favorite guitars are bolt on and have loads more sustain than most set necks I've played. Not like it's the end all magic sustain booster that noobs and cork sniffers alike claim it is.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

My best sustaining guitar is my new Daisy Rock semi-hollow (bolt-on). I think it's because it's one of the hardest maple necks I've ever played. It also has a rounded heel, which makes the whole access thing moot.

Honestly, at this point, I'm thinking about just getting a 24.75" Warmoth neck for my Jagmaster and just calling it a day.

Or selling my Jagmaster and buying a white Daisy Rock Rock Candy (bolt-on) because dude... if that sustains anywhere as close to my current Daisy Rock...
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
thickarms

Post by thickarms »

Don't know how easy they are to get hold of outside the UK but I got a Gordon Smith for about £300.
Absolutely solid guitar, super light, pretty thin neck. Have loved every Gordon Smith I've played

pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

thickarms wrote:Don't know how easy they are to get hold of outside the UK but I got a Gordon Smith for about £300.
Absolutely solid guitar, super light, pretty thin neck. Have loved every Gordon Smith I've played

+1

Great guitars Gordon Smiths
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

So yeah, because I'm a little girl, I am getting this guitar instead:

It's only $219 and judging from the fact that they stick have the "coil split" sticker on the tone knob, it's probably pristine.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Nick wrote:
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:....and I always forget that people care about set necks. I guess that makes all my suggestions redundant. :roll:
Some people like the heel better on set necks/neck thru. Other than that set neck is rather pointless, some of my favorite guitars are bolt on and have loads more sustain than most set necks I've played. Not like it's the end all magic sustain booster that noobs and cork sniffers alike claim it is.
Agree.
Set necks are usually considered to have better transmission of vibration between body and neck therefore a beefier, fuller tone.

It is usually thought that a bolt on neck will have less sustain, It is also generally thought that a bolt on neck will have a brighter, snappier tone with more note definition, a result of a slower transmission of vibration between body and neck.

This is bullshit of course. People came to these conclusions because because the guitars they were playing were Gibsons or Fenders. Fenders Teles and Strats generally have a brighter, snappier tone with more note definition and Les Pauls do have a beefier, full tone and slightly more sustain. This has next to nothing to do with how the neck joint is made (bolts, screws, body through, or set neck) and a lot more to do with the woods used in the bodies, necks, the bridge design, the number of windings on the pick ups, pretty much everything but the the type of neck joint.

I guess back in the day when you had like only 3 or 4 types of solid body electric guitars to choose from people came to these conclusions about neck joints based on opinion and not any sort of scientific method.

more or less the Gibson screw necks I have owned sound like the set neck ones, the Fender set necks I have owned sound like Fender screw necks.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

not hh, but what i want next

plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

pumpkin wrote:This is bullshit of course. People came to these conclusions because because the guitars they were playing were Gibsons or Fenders. Fenders Teles and Strats generally have a brighter, snappier tone with more note definition and Les Pauls do have a beefier, full tone and slightly more sustain. This has next to nothing to do with how the neck joint is made (bolts, screws, body through, or set neck) and a lot more to do with the woods used in the bodies, necks, the bridge design, the number of windings on the pick ups, pretty much everything but the the type of neck joint.

I guess back in the day when you had like only 3 or 4 types of solid body electric guitars to choose from people came to these conclusions about neck joints based on opinion and not any sort of scientific method.

more or less the Gibson screw necks I have owned sound like the set neck ones, the Fender set necks I have owned sound like Fender screw necks.
This is entirely correct. What's more, that one study that they did showed that a bolt-on actually has more sustain than a set neck, which has more sustain than a neck-through. In any case, we play amplified instruments. How often are we hobbled by the lack of sustain? Just turn the gain up.

One of the things I noticed about playing a semi-hollow, though, is that it just feels more alive, like the notes just don't want to die. It's probably in my head, honestly.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

[youtube][/youtube]
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

lel
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

haha wrong thread, but really i just wanted to post it anyway
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

honeyiscool wrote:So yeah, because I'm a little girl, I am getting this guitar instead:
► Show Spoiler
:lol:

Looks like a Hamer crossed with a Schecter with an Italia finish.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Yeah, Daisy Rock guitars are pretty much Schecters. They even use the same rear route covers.