Your favourite dirt and why

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

lorez

Your favourite dirt and why

Post by lorez »

Ok similar to the other threads for modulation and delay, what's peoples favourite dirt (past and present) and why? Overdrive, distortion, boost or fuzz. Which one, and only one, is the thing that gives you wet dreams
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
mastermorya

Post by mastermorya »

Electro-Faustus Guitar Disruptor. It is impossible to control and nearly impossible to play anything on it, which is fun.

Dwarfcraft HAX. It is like the Disruptor, except controllable (sort of). With an expression pedal, it is really fun.

MXR Blue Box turned all the way to right on the left dial and all the way to the left on the right dial, before a DS-1, is actually pretty fun too.
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

MBM Saltbooster gives any amp some balls.

My all time fave is the Sovtek Black Russian Big Muff Pi. Just the right amount of smooth mixed in with the dirt.

Keep in mind these are my favorite for guitar. Bass I pretty much have only used the Boss ODB-3. Haven't tried enough to make a definite call.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I have to say I'm happy with my EHX Germanium4 Big Muff, for its versatility and simplicity. It covers a lot of different ground, and sounds pretty "real". I haven't had any reason to shop around for anything else since I've had it which is really saying something since I used to go through pedals pretty frequently.

I really want to try out a MBM Dream Box, if I ever can afford to buy a new dirt pedal, that'll probably be the one.
nyck

Post by nyck »

90's proco big box Rat. It's the sound I tried to get out of every other dirt pedal i've had, and works well when playing with a full band.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

This one

Basically because it eveything I have ever wanted in a fuzz pedal.
It is my favourite fuzz, a foxx tone machine with improvements i.e low noise, footswitchable octave. with moar fuzz than anyone can ever use. its the only dirt pedal I find I really cant turn the fuzz dial all the way up. And I never see this pedal getting props.
Plus I BOUGHT it in america with my good buddy mickie who sat and watched me play with pedals for hours before I made a decision like a true king of kings. So it has some good memorys attched to it.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I've had more dirt pedals than most have had hot dinners but there are a few that I think are truly awesome. Proco Rat, IC Big Muff and theoss FZ2 Hyper Fuzz. I also really like the MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion, it has a really bright, clear sound, cleans up nicely and retains string definition when picking.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

A fair bit of fuzz has come and go through my pedal basket, but (shock decision here) while I love my IC Muff to bits, I've come to the conclusion that my favourite is my Foxx Tone Machine; does fairly polite all the way to full-on batshit. The non-octave settings are as good as the octave, too. Honourable mention must also go to the Utility Perkolator.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

Overall a fOXX Tone Machine for me, never been without one since I first got one. In second place is the "Osmantes fuzz" thing Mike made for me.
3rd would have to be a BOSS XT-2 it's awesome.
onedaycloser

Post by onedaycloser »

It'd be a toss up between my Daddy-O overdrive and my Swollen Pickle, with the slight edge going to the Pickle for it's various fuzz tonez.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

nobels 0d-1
tubescreamer

i don't really use pedals but i have kept the boss fz-2 and nobels od-1
never had a tubescreamer, but use a VST version all the time to tighten up recorded guitar tracks.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'm a big fan of dirt pedals - at one point I had 5 on my board - but I've now cut down to just one, my Behringer Super Fuzz. It seems to be able to make any sound I want. I am slightly wary that so far I've only used my current pedal board at bedroom volumes, we'll have to see how well the Super Fuzz holds up at gig/practice volumes.
gypsyseven

Post by gypsyseven »

There are sooooo many...but i always come back to my Maxon OD-808....+ my Klon Centaur clone...
batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

FULLTONE FATBOOST III

why:
it works with almost any amp.
find the sweet spot, and it will juice the front end with toothy articulate drive.

gives you MORE of what you like in your amp, and does not take over the tone.
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

OCD v4 & MXR Dist +
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Catalinbread Formula No.5. With a Fender guitar, through my bassman it is quite simply stunning. Really fat articulate drive. Can nail Neil Young tones as well as a whole lot more. Been through my fair share of dirt pedals and this one is by far the best for me.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Freddy V-C wrote:I'm a big fan of dirt pedals - at one point I had 5 on my board - but I've now cut down to just one, my Behringer Super Fuzz. It seems to be able to make any sound I want. I am slightly wary that so far I've only used my current pedal board at bedroom volumes, we'll have to see how well the Super Fuzz holds up at gig/practice volumes.
Update on this. At practice this afternoon the Super Fuzz sounded amazing, I've never been happier with my dirt sound! :D
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

SIB varidrive
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

There's just something that is so right to me about the brutish, aluminum-snow-shovel-against-concrete snarl of an old Whiteface Rat going into a greasy, bloated black Russian Muff. No matter how many new fancy pedals I try, with any amp or any guitar I've owned, I've always gone back to this.

The Muff is starting to fall apart, though. I might try substituting it for a EQD Hoof...
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
grandnoise

Post by grandnoise »

I'm pretty Happy with my selection of dirt at the moment, covers most ground I need, Smallsound/Bigsound Year 4545 for crazy oscillation and feedback, Boss ODB3 for big fat grit, Tronographics Rusty box for tEH tonEZ and a Made by Mike Zvex Machine clone for huge disgustingly brilliant noise.