Phaser bug hit me, what would you build first?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Dingus

Phaser bug hit me, what would you build first?

Post by Dingus »

So I don't know what the hell is going on lately, but I've found myself suddenly on a quest to discover my end-all-be-all phaser. I've got two that I'm currently building, and am wondering which one you guys think I should build first?

1) Electro-Harmonix Bad Stone
2) MXR Phase 45

And just for reference, here are other phasers I own, so you know what sounds I'm already familiar with:

Boss PH-2
Boss PH-3
Danelectro Pepperoni
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone (Russian, although I now have a USA one in the mail)
MXR Phase 90

and I have a Fulltone MDV-2 for univibe sounds, so one that can do univibe-sounds is not a concern for me.

Also, what am I leaving out that's worthwhile? I've never tried a Phase 100, anyone have experience with one of those?

I've heard things about the Polyphase, but I have a PolyChorus and heard they were basically the same... anyway thanks for your input.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

what are your thoughts on flangers?
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

i'm in the same boat man...need phaeser..don't know which...quasar, polyphase, stone, 90..100..45...thefuuuck.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Not to be a dick, but is there really any need for two more phasers when you already have five?
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

phaser is the new fuzz ?

eeeheee :p
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Maybe if you have them all on at once set to different rates you can achieve PHASERCEPTION.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i fucking hate phasers
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

if you have all fuzzes on at once you have pantsception. i guess fuzz will always win.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:i fucking hate phasers
i used to, but hear electric wizard, fu manchu..used like that..it 'can' be magnificent
johnnyseven

Re: Phaser bug hit me, what would you build first?

Post by johnnyseven »

Dingus wrote:

I've heard things about the Polyphase, but I have a PolyChorus and heard they were basically the same... anyway thanks for your input.
I've never heard a Polyphase but my Polychorus isn't capable of any phase type sounds. I once had a Phase 100, I wasn't a fan but never compared it to a Phase 90.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

EHX Worm has a great phaser along with auto-wah, tremolo and vibrato. You can also freeze the sweep of the phaser.

I just bought a Nano Small Stone from Nick for my Pedal train mini.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Dingus

Post by Dingus »

@Mages: I'm building an EH Electric Mistress and will let you know how I feel about it after I finish it up. I have the usual flangers (Boss BF-2, BF-3) a Danelectro Psycho Flanger, and an Ibanez Swell Flanger and have pretty much made up my mind (from clips) that the Electric Mistress has the sounds that I like, which is why I'm building one. Of the ones I currently have, the BF-3 is just awful, good ideas but executed poorly. The BF-2 is classic, but man is it a strong flange that can't really be very subtle. The Psycho Flanger is the same kinda deal, very thick heavy flanging sounds, which may have a place somewhere, but not in most of the stuff I play. The Ibanez Swell Flanger was pretty cool, but I had to sell some pedals a few years ago and just wasnt using it enough to justify keeping it.

@Freddy: I plan on selling the extra ones after I figure out what I like best

@johnny: I'll have to check out demos of the Polyphase and find out, I thought I read somewhere (probably kurdtz related) about how the EchoFlanger is the same as the Polychorus is the same as the Polyphase.

@taylor: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to check out some demos and see if I can't find one to try
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I agree with you on the Boss BF-2. Fantastic sounding pedal but subtle it is not. I have been curious about the Nano Electric Mistress.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I have a Yamaha FL-10MII Flanger and I used to have an Arion Stereo Flanger. The Arion was absolute shit. Made your guitar go all tinny and shit. The Yamaha is a great all around flanger. The only phaser I have is a Boss PH-2, and it's ok.... if you turn the resonance all the way down it's very similar to a Phase 90. all the way up and it just sounds all drain-pipey; hate that sound.

in my experience experience you can get cooler swooshy sounds and sounds that really mix with your guitar sound really well out of flangers. phasers it seems to me are more, like an "effect" that sort of sits on top of your guitar signal... not quite as cool. is this this true in others experience?
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

The MXR EVH and Micro Flanger were my favourites of all the flangers I have had. The only flanger I have now is on my polychorus but I use the flanger setting on it for more leslie type sounds .
Ben79

Post by Ben79 »

My vote would be the bad stone - richest and most detailed phaser I've heard - seems to retain clarity where other phasers enter a 'mush' stage in the sweep. Also has feedback and a manual control - interesting.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I have made small stones, bad stones, 90's, 45's, blah blah, I'd really suggest the Tonepad Ropez Ross phaser clone. It is the best to my ears and I am pretty brokeback for phasers. Most bad stones have low volume but sounds great. I have made a few Le Fleur phases but they are kinda noisy. The BYOC 90 clone is also very good.
Haze

Post by Haze »

do you have any interest in the line 6 M5? it has theres 4 or 5 phasers as well as several chorus', tremolo, etc. and they are all VERY adjustable with 5 parameters to control.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

i have an old digitech xp200..does trem, chorus, phaser and has an expression pedal..i like how whacky it can get but it's massive and need own power supply, hassle. i still have symtpathy for it, have changed my mind on possible sell a few times. but in practice..i never used it unless for the occasional times i can be bothered. but each time i do it makes me smile.
Haze

Post by Haze »