New here... Couple random questions.

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Mattsican

New here... Couple random questions.

Post by Mattsican »

As the title says im new here. As I type this im waiting for my Pawn Shop Mustang in LPB to be delivered by fedex. I've always like the Mustang shape but wasnt a fan of the bridges personally and really never had that kinda cash to throw down on a guitar. I've always played guitar but somehow got into a band playing bass and have been so for awhile now. But i never gave up on the guitar. What are your alls thoughts on the Pawn Shop series mustangs? Ive done a lot of reading online and people either love them, despise them, or say "it looks neat, but way over priced so forget that." I play bass in a progressive heavy metal band full of 7 and 8 string guitars so I purchased an ibanez 7 string and i like it but it sucking fucks at anything that doesnt involve high gain amp settings. So when i saw the PS Mustang i was all about it. I'm always a little weary on stock pups on guitars. Ive heard mixed reviews on the WR humbuckers. Are they a fairly standard size so if i didnt like them i could drop something else in fairly easily without having to modify anything? What about the tuners? I usually get a guitar and then for some reason feel the need to tinker with it and upgrade parts and make it either look or sound different. Also are their any less expensive alternatives to the fender hardshell case that fits a mustang? I tend to not trust gig bags too much. Thanks in advance everyone. Ive spent a lot of time reading the forums and everyone here seems really friendly and helpful!
louis
fuckin' A

Post by louis »

I've not played one but they look damn nice. I'm in the same band-type situation but with a Jaguar, LP's aren't really my thing, so I just changed the pickup for a little 59' and it works and sounds great. I imagine swapping out the pickups in the mustang wouldn't be too much of an issue, but I was reading a magazine with a picture metal-ish band (who I can't remember the name of) playing one at a show, so maybe the pickups do have the balls to compete.

I'd wait until it arrives, play it through your set up, and take it from there.

In terms of the bridge, which string gauge are you using? maybe a heavier gauge could give you better tension? Also you could try (I'm not sure what the technical term is) wrapping the stings around the tail-piece when stringing up, rather than have them go straight through, this is what I do with my Jag-stang.
Twitter: @fearthelivinguk
theshadowofseattle wrote:Nothin' but orange groves and black augs, as far as the eye could see.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I'm not a fan of the fake WHRB pickups. They're not a standard size, they're oversized but they're not actually WHRBs, they're PAFs in a large housing instead. So if you want the standard HB sound, they will probably work for you. But if you want to change them out, prepare to pay for a new pickguard. On the flipside, it has smart switching. The tuners are fine, as well. Honestly, though, before the Kurt Cobain Mustang models were announced, I was taking a long hard look at the Pawn Shop model. As far as humbucker'd Fenders go, it's one of the better ones, IMO, but I think the KC Mustang is much better.

I've had good luck forcing Mustangs into standard "universal" hardshell cases. They're a bit longer than Strats so they usually take a bit of work, but they'll fit if you squish it in there, then over time the case will accommodate them better.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

They have a strat bridge louis. :D
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

louis wrote:I've not played one but they look damn nice. I'm in the same band-type situation but with a Jaguar, LP's aren't really my thing, so I just changed the pickup for a little 59' and it works and sounds great. I imagine swapping out the pickups in the mustang wouldn't be too much of an issue, but I was reading a magazine with a picture metal-ish band (who I can't remember the name of) playing one at a show, so maybe the pickups do have the balls to compete.

I'd wait until it arrives, play it through your set up, and take it from there.

In terms of the bridge, which string gauge are you using? maybe a heavier gauge could give you better tension? Also you could try (I'm not sure what the technical term is) wrapping the stings around the tail-piece when stringing up, rather than have them go straight through, this is what I do with my Jag-stang.
Im still waiting for fedex to show up.. eagerly. haha. I ordered some 10's to put on it since i heard the 9's it ships with are pretty squirelly. I'm just gonna try out the 9's then most likely put on the 10's and leave it alone for awhile. I dont play guitar in any gigging bands so ive plenty of time to futz around with it. Most of my guitar playing happens on my computer thru my line6 toneport. I mostly record and jam around on different things that are more indie rock/alternative. Im more of a strummer than a shredder, thats why i play bass haha. Ive smaller hands so this should feel better than my ibanez wizardII 7 neck for sure.
louis
fuckin' A

Post by louis »

othomas2 wrote:They have a strat bridge louis. :D

:( nevermind..
Twitter: @fearthelivinguk
theshadowofseattle wrote:Nothin' but orange groves and black augs, as far as the eye could see.
gypsyseven

Post by gypsyseven »

Mattsican wrote:
louis wrote:...indie rock/alternative. Im more of a strummer than a shredder.
~(bravo) and welcome!
[quote="Doog"]Another of life's great mysteries solved.

Next week: where does my room go when I turn off the lights?
blane

Post by blane »

they're nice enough guitars I guess... I like where the selector switch is, but I could do without the phaser switches.. Don't like the shape modification they made to the butt of the guitar and the two humbuckers just doesn't do it for me.

They play well enough though.. I was able to play a blue one at guitar center not too long ago. I think mustangs in general are too expensive these day though.. I felt like I was over paying a few years ago at $600-700 I couldn't fathom dropping the $939 they want for one now. or the 1,200 for the Cobain model. I'd rather get an old 90's les paul studio if I had that kinda money to spend.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and it'll be a good guitar.
Guitars:
2014 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2013 Gibson SG 61RI
1998 Paul Reed Smith CE22
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

well i got it. this things is pretty legit. everything is perfect, except one thing. the damn toggle switch when set to just the bridge pickup will randomly switch to middle when its still selected in the bridge position. wtf? its really pissing me off. it will sometimes get halfway switched and make a shitty scratchy noise. i should send it back but its relatively minor and im not going to go thru all the hassle. i might just pickup a better switch and swap it out.
Leisureclub

Post by Leisureclub »

about the pickups, most companies make humbuckers that they call "f spaced" those will fit into the holes. the problem that you might run into is that most humbuckers have two mounting points, rather than three.

the solution that im working on is getting a custom pickguard. i had an old music master neck lying around as well as some lollar "f spaced" imperial humbuckers and i wanted the easiest route to a working guitar. so i bought a LPB pawn shop mustang body.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

Leisureclub wrote:about the pickups, most companies make humbuckers that they call "f spaced" those will fit into the holes. the problem that you might run into is that most humbuckers have two mounting points, rather than three.

the solution that im working on is getting a custom pickguard. i had an old music master neck lying around as well as some lollar "f spaced" imperial humbuckers and i wanted the easiest route to a working guitar. so i bought a LPB pawn shop mustang body.
Well so far im pretty pleased with the pickups so i'm going to stick with them for now. Knowing the way i am, im sure in the future im going to want to try something else. As far as custom pickguards go, is there a good place online that you can think of to get them? The mint green is nice but I think it would look good with maybe a red tortise shell or something similar. Ive built various ibanez guitars using random parts and the pickguard always seemed to be the toughest to get ahold of. Those guitars were always the functional type and i never really cared about them looking super slick and nice, that was sort of the point. but i want to keep this looking nice and not all hacked up. As far as three way switches go can you recommend any good ones that would fit? I looked around on stewmac and all they had was some kinda cheapy looking ones. So far it hasnt been really an issue as far as playing goes, but just knowing the problem is there bugs me.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

((nopics))

on the case thing..i have a flying v hardshell case i got for €30 for my lefty CIJ mustang, looks like the standard fender hardshell black with white stitchings, storage box inside, plastic handle. it hasn't fallen apart yet and fits a mustang body. that was my option as i couldn't find a left handed hardshell case that would fit a longer body like a mustang. it's a bit too wide (as it is made for a flying V type) but i press a rolled up small towel under the mustang's butt (yes, its butt) so it doesn't move.
hope this helps. there's lots of 'no brand' cheaper hardshells, maybe you'll have more luck finding a right handed one for a longer body shape won't be that difficult.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

Mattsican wrote:Well so far im pretty pleased with the pickups so i'm going to stick with them for now. Knowing the way i am, im sure in the future im going to want to try something else.
if you decide to sell, i'm interested.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
Mattsican wrote:Well so far im pretty pleased with the pickups so i'm going to stick with them for now. Knowing the way i am, im sure in the future im going to want to try something else.
if you decide to sell, i'm interested.
in the pups?
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I suggest, on the other hand, that if you ever decide to change the pickups, try getting them rewound instead. Usually, after a while, you know what you want more or less of, and there are plenty of talented pickup manufacturers out there (Rose, Novak, etc.) who will take your existing pickup and make it more to your liking, and then you have the added benefit of nothing changing cosmetically. Would probably be cheaper than getting new pickups, getting a new pickguard, etc., too.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.