My Mustang project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

a 'conversion' neck means that the neck is typically shorter to work with standard bridge/neck pocket placement in order to change the overall scale of the guitar. (i.e. when jagmasters went to 24", but didn't use a jaguar neck length, like the vistas, they used a conversion neck. which is why you can put one on a 25.5" scale tele/strat, and get a 24" scale guitar.)

sx necks are not really 'conversion' necks, but are actually just different length necks compared to fender's of the same scale length, from what i've gathered.

edited.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
cur

Post by cur »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:a 'conversion' neck means that the neck is typically shorter to work with standard bridge/neck pocket placement in order to change the overall scale of the guitar. (i.e. when jagmasters went to 24", but didn't use a jaguar neck length, like the vistas, they used a conversion neck. which is why you can put one on a 25.5" scale tele/strat, and get a 24" scale guitar.)

sx necks are not really 'conversion' necks, but are actually just different length necks compared to fender's of the same scale length, from what i've gathered.

edited.
OK I'm on the same page as you. Thanks for clarifying.

SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

Well, I was just referring to the size of the SX necks. They use a deeper neck pocket than a standard fender. You can use fender necks but they will need a shim. As far as getting the thing to intonate, I think a standard scale neck will work, so a conversion neck should work but there may not be enough movement in the saddles to interchange standard scale to short scale even w/ a conversion neck.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I'm not really aware of any 24" scale necks that can be considered true conversion necks, as in they would be able to drop into any Strat and work. The Douglas Peragro might be, though.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

I did some measuring and the neck on my Mustang thingy would fit this guitar. If the new neck is different I will likely swap necks and reposition the bridge on the Mustang thingy to accommodate. If I totally fuck up I have the original SX neck.
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

i love it !
h8mtv

Post by h8mtv »

The pocket was too deep for the jagmaster neck without a ton of shimming. Moved on and keeping the Mustang thing as it stands and the SX is deserted, reassembled in a corner for some rainy day.