Newbie with a Super Sonic

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

singlepickup24 wrote:Not all of us have lace sensor fetishes :lol:

Anyway, the reason I thought he might want to go with different pups in these guitars is because a BC Rich and a SS are very different to begin with. Having the same pups in two Fender shortscales seems to makes more sense, if you love those pups and that's your sound.
I've actually never put the same Lace pickup combination in any two guitars, come to think of it. Part of the reason, I think, is that Lace is an equalizer IMO. Much like EMGs, they tend to sound the same in most guitars.

Passive humbuckers rarely sound the same in two guitars, IMO. I've used a Duncan Custom in three guitars and you wouldn't even know it was the same thing.

Anyway, robroe, I thought most people making reproduction pickguards do duplicate the rounded corners.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

robroe wrote:WHO MAKES ROUNDY W CUTS IN REPRO PICKGUARDS?
Anyone you send an original to for a duplicate.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

mkt3000 wrote:
robroe wrote:WHO MAKES ROUNDY W CUTS IN REPRO PICKGUARDS?
Anyone you send an original to for a duplicate.
And all of these:
eBay Super-Sonic pickguards
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Yeah, it's one of the eBay guards I've got on there, so it does have the rounded corners.

I'm liking the sound of the SD Jazz in those samples singlepickup24 linked to, but I could also see going to another SH-1, and I won't rule out a P90. Amp is a Fender Princeton 112, and I use a Digitech RP255 and an ancient Zoom 505 for effects. My sound takes the most from 90s alternative, but I don't want a pickup that will lock me in to one style of music. When I put those Duncans in the Mockingbird back in high school, I was listening to a lot of metal and playing a lot of jazz.

And wadeaminute, that looks like a very happy family you have on your wall.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

SD Jazz is quite nice. I had it in a Les Paul with the SH-5 Custom (actually I think it was TB-5). I didn't like the SH-5 at all, but I loved the Jazz. It's very clear, bright, yet has good output, I also loved it in parallel as well as split. In parallel, it has a beautiful shimmer that works great for rhythm. I think the Custom/Jazz is a pretty popular combo these days. The odd thing about the SH-5 is that while I didn't like it in two other guitars, in a Strat, it is my favorite bridge pickup of all time. The only real experience I've had with the SH-4 is in my new Kurt Cobain, but so far I really like it. I think the main difference is that the Custom has a modern, full sound that sound great with longer scale, whereas the JB has a harsher sound that really cuts through and shorter scale guitars can tame some of that edge a bit. I think you'll be really happy with a JB/Jazz combo.

THAT SAID, I still recommend the Dragonfire Screamers. The bridge might be described as somewhere between Duncan JB and Duncan Distortion, whereas the neck is not far from a Jazz, but it's wound a bit hotter but has a ceramic pickup in it to retain good clarity. At $25 a set, they will get you a tone you will really like, especially considering what you already said you like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragonfire-Blac ... 355wt_1163
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

You make a compelling argument. So does the $25 price tag. I talked to one of the guys at the shop where I've been taking my gear since forever about doing a coil tap, and I think I'm going to give the Screamers a try, unless someone here dissuades me. Thanks for all your advice, everyone.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

If you do go with the Screamers, you can use any wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan, they have compatible wiring colors.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Nice one honey, good rec.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Screamers have arrived! But they're supposed to be my reward for getting this dissertation chapter turned in, so now I guess I have to finish these revisions before I can take the Super-Sonic to my guitar tech. Sigh. Stupid work.
au_loki

Post by au_loki »

Hi - have you popped the Screamers in yet?
Revisions, Schemisions!
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

au_loki wrote:Hi - have you popped the Screamers in yet?
Revisions, Schemisions!
I've taken it to the shop to pop the Screamers in. They've got a lot of work piled up right now, though, so it's looking like the middle of next week.
Clam Slam

Post by Clam Slam »

Nice SS mixtape, interested to see how things turn out.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

The old girl is back a few days early, with Screamers: AMAZING. Clean tones really sparkle now, but I still get plenty of punch when I distort them. And I'm loving the coil taps. It's like having two guitars in one.
Clam Slam

Post by Clam Slam »

Awesome - happy the pups were what the lady needed.