Finished my Baja Tele - (Video pg13)

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Which guitar should I NOT build out of Ash?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 am

Telecaster
17%
Jazzmaster
13%
Mustang
13%
Super-Sonic
29%
Jag-stang
29%

Total votes: 24
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

What's a new guitar without some accessories:
The knob didn't fit at first but after a little persuasion it looks and fits nice.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

pics of the front of the guitar?
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:pics of the front of the guitar?
Not together yet. I am about to shield the cavities and get everything back together. Then I can take it to the guitar tech.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

looks great from the back.
► Show Spoiler
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I decided to start shielding today. I am grounding to screw holes with copper tape and shielding the cavities with shielding tape. I have to wait 24 hours between coats. 1 down 2 more to go. A little messy, but I cleaned up everything where it won't show when assembled. The cavities look cooler with the black shielding paint.

hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

really nice for your first guitar.
bob the r0bot

Post by bob the r0bot »

That is turning out spectacularly
Get rad with your dad
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I appreciate the comments. The finish isn't perfect, but I have learned so much from this guitar that I don't mind so much. Every mistake leads to more knowledge and skills for the next one.
porterhaus

Post by porterhaus »

Very nice work!!

The learning process makes it all worthwhile.

And I am also learning by watching this thread.

Thanks for sharing!!!
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Buying a baja would probably have saved a lot of hassle. They arent that hard to come by. The blue looks ok, but i think i would have forsaken the grain and gone for a solid finish.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

stewart wrote:Buying a baja would probably have saved a lot of hassle. They arent that hard to come by. The blue looks ok, but i think i would have forsaken the grain and gone for a solid finish.

I love the color, though I am definitely going solid on my next project to simplify things.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

stewart wrote:Buying a baja would probably have saved a lot of hassle. They arent that hard to come by. The blue looks ok, but i think i would have forsaken the grain and gone for a solid finish.
Yeah but I really wanted to make a guitar from scratch and I figured the tele was the easiest guitar body to start with. The Baja Tele had the options I wanted. I paid nothing for the wood so I think it will be cheaper than buying one.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I just applied the last coat of shielding paint and it will need to dry 24 hours. Next step is reassembly. I need to get either another rubber tube or springs for mounting the bridge pickup. One of the rubber spacing tubes was split when I received it.

Has anyone ever mounted a tele neck pickup under the pickguard? I am not sure how to know where to install the neck pup so that the pickup and pickguard are aligned properly.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Get a piece of foam to mount it on (like jags use), place the pickguard, place the pickup (press firmly and the foam should hold it) make some screw holes and drill away
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Haze wrote:Get a piece of foam to mount it on (like jags use), place the pickguard, place the pickup (press firmly and the foam should hold it) make some screw holes and drill away
I still have some foam from my Jagmaster so that will work. The foam is only for lining it up? I would take the foam out once I correctly mark the holes?
Haze

Post by Haze »

My cv custom has foam underneath the pickup, probably due to the humbucker route though... I'd imagine the rubber tubing will have the same effect however
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Haze wrote:My cv custom has foam underneath the pickup, probably due to the humbucker route though... I'd imagine the rubber tubing will have the same effect however
That's what I thought. The rubber tubing holds up the pickup. I plan to go to Home Depot today to replace the split tubing for the Bridge pickup or get springs the will do the same thing. I might be able to to start putting her back together very soon.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I see your point, but disagree (or at least choose to look at it a different way). The Telecaster is such a fantastically simple and no-nonsense instrument that I think that it's probably the guitar to make. This guitar will work and play well, I'd bet. The fact that it's a different colour is a bonus, and not an important one given how the tele is such a workhorse of a guitar.

I really, really hate when people describe teles as either no-nonsense, workmanly, workorse or any other such term, but I could evade those terms.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

yeah, i suppose i didn't really look at it as a learning exercise, to be honest. it is a good choice for a first project.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

And it will work as well as a normal baja works. Or catch fire.