Thoughts on the Stratocaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Reverb + Delay wrote:Played a Strat for the first time ever just about an hour ago. Tried out a CV 50s and a CV 60s and I really liked playing both as they felt more comfortable vs. CV 50s Tele. But, the sound just doesn't appeal to me as much as the Tele.
it's not fair to judge other guitars against a Telecaster, cause you can't beat perfection...
XY
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

dezb1 wrote:
Reverb + Delay wrote:Played a Strat for the first time ever just about an hour ago. Tried out a CV 50s and a CV 60s and I really liked playing both as they felt more comfortable vs. CV 50s Tele. But, the sound just doesn't appeal to me as much as the Tele.
it's not fair to judge other guitars against a Telecaster, cause you can't beat perfection...
Played a CV Tele Thinline while I was there, too. Loved the light weight and liked it so much, I'm exchanging my CV 50s for one.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

LAL @ telecaster's being perfection.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:LAL @ telecaster's being perfection.
Some old guy said that exact thing to me today. To him it is and i get his perspective but disagree at the same time.
George

Post by George »

A standard Telecaster's bridge pickup knocks the socks off a standard Strat's any day of the week. And I think it would be fair to say that the majority of people (particularly the younger generations) who play electric guitar use the bridge pickup the majority of the time, hence the curried favour. I would argue that a Tele bridge pickup with Strat mid and neck might actually be the best config ever.
Justyn

Post by Justyn »

Sounds a bit like Richard Thompson's gitfiddle

Dood I want it sooo much
You're standing on my neck
knpknpknp

Post by knpknpknp »

Justyn wrote:Sounds a bit like Richard Thompson's gitfiddle

Dood I want it sooo much
That picture is absolutely tops. Does he bow that thing? Or pluck it? Must learn more about this gitfiddle.
Justyn

Post by Justyn »

From what I tell, he hybrid/fingerpicks.

The dude is absolute best folk rock guitarist. Nobody else even comes close

Also I should mention that though I forgot about him a bit, I am a Rory Gallagher fan.

Better than the other white blues guy with a strat, by far
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

A Tele really is perfection in a sense. The same way the Steve Vai signature Ibanez is too. They are both a perfect expression of one or two priorities. That doesn't mean I'd play the Ibanez, but I still think the point stands.
Justyn wrote:Sounds a bit like Richard Thompson's gitfiddle

Dood I want it sooo much
Me too! Have wanted it for years.
George

Post by George »

Justyn wrote:From what I tell, he hybrid/fingerpicks.

Also I should mention that though I forgot about him a bit, I am a Rory Gallagher fan.

Jeff Beck? :lol:
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

BacchusPaul wrote:That doesn't mean I'd play the Ibanez, but I still think the pointy bits stand.
fixt
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Fran wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:LAL @ telecaster's being perfection.
Some old guy said that exact thing to me today. To him it is and i get his perspective but disagree at the same time.
i love the bridge pickup, and the neck/bridge pickups in combo, but hate the non-contoured body, and i'm not a huge fan of the neck size. perfection is such a stretch in my eyes, alas i can tell why so many others love them as they are.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

BacchusPaul wrote:A Tele really is perfection in a sense. The same way the Steve Vai signature Ibanez is too. They are both a perfect expression of one or two priorities. That doesn't mean I'd play the Ibanez, but I still think the point stands.
I've been waiting for this.
As much as i disagree that Blacktop models are what they say they are, Superstrats are essentially Stratocasters. Whether it be a Fender Richie Sambora Floyd Rose model or an Ibanez RG550. They are variations on a Strat.
Can we include Superstrat's in this discussion? Or not? What qualifies and does it need to say Fender on the headstock?
My Squier Stagemaster (Squier okay?) is one of the best guitars i've played incidently, also my BCR Gunslinger. I think Superstrats are the most versatile guitar ever built, but they do lack the soul of a standard Strat.
Justyn

Post by Justyn »

GeorgeF wrote:
Justyn wrote:From what I tell, he hybrid/fingerpicks.

Jeff Beck? :lol:

I never really had Jeff Beck pegged for a blues guy. Not when I hear Nadia and crap like that
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Jeff Beck is out there. The guys a fucking genius.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I dunno. Even an actual strat with a Floyd Rose and a hunbucker isn't a strat to me. Dunno why. For a long time I really wanted one, in olympic white. There was a band in Derry, awful cover band, but their guitarist had a Japanese strat with that setup that looked amazing.

I don't know when it stops being a strat, but it's maybe when you swap out the bridge for something so dramatically different, even though the Floyd is essentially a strat bridge with the strings stuck down mechanically instead of with glue.

That bridge and three single coils is a strat. To me, there's something more strattish about a Cyclone than that Japanese guitar I just mentioned.

EDIT, that goes for the Tokai Goldjobber too, it's more strat than that Japanese superstrat thing.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

BacchusPaul wrote:I dunno. Even an actual strat with a Floyd Rose and a hunbucker isn't a strat to me.
Why?
How about a Jaguar without a tremolo, rhythm circuit and single coils Paul? Is it still a Jaguar if it says so on teh headstock?

I dont know either.
George

Post by George »

Meh, Jeff Beck may be a virtuoso but he cut his teeth playing the blues.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'd have said no, it isn't. But there's plenty who disagree (and some of them happen to be the ones who decide what the things are actually called).
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

jeff beck is amazing. wired is one of my all-time favourite recordings.