CORAZON DEL DIABLO

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

That looks red to me.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

it looks tits mcgee to me.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

It's pretty red all right. I might have to stop there. Red is the most potent color. It's like curry.

Check out this one. Guy on RR stripped his Antigua Coro and found this underneath. His is way nicer than mine. My wood is plain and my pup holes are hacked for HBs. But I bet he doesn't have Curtis Novak Retrotrons!

Yell Like Hell
zoinks

Post by zoinks »

that is way better than antigua.
benjamin franklin is a terrorist who hates us for our freedom. also, he tried to buy yellow cake in niger
light rail coyote

Post by light rail coyote »

Why the hell would fender have painted over that, it's amazing
Fuzz monkeys are generally fed the most bananas
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Ah, but that's the beauty of a market economy. Money talks, evn louder than big amps. But the colors are off. I bet it was some schmoe at home trying to look like someone he saw in concert. I like the wildwoods, but to some people it would look weird and possibly outdated. We haven't always realized how valuable wood is. It really is amazing stuff--if you grow celery big enough you can build a house with it. It's vegetation. Dinosaurs et it.
Yell Like Hell
foofoo982

Post by foofoo982 »

DGNR8 wrote:Ah, but that's the beauty of a market economy. Money talks, evn louder than big amps. But the colors are off. I bet it was some schmoe at home trying to look like someone he saw in concert. I like the wildwoods, but to some people it would look weird and possibly outdated. We haven't always realized how valuable wood is. It really is amazing stuff--if you grow celery big enough you can build a house with it. It's vegetation. Dinosaurs et it.
Wood is quite valuable... that's why when you cut down certain trees too much, you may not have any more for a looooong time. I just hope there are places where they plant as much as they cut down. The wood on the Coro is quite beautiful.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

HOLY BOOK MATCH!!!!!!
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

thats really awsome, a wildwood is way cooler than antigua.
period.
ezpecially trhat wildwood, im not too keen on the trans wildwood or the green wildwoods but that is hot shit.
DGNR8

What I did on my summer vacation

Post by DGNR8 »

Here is what I did yesterday. I MIGHT HAVE BEEN HAVING TOO MUCH FUN. Today is clear coats. I fucking ran out of primer halfway through my 1956 Duo body. Luckily it was bare back, not top or bottom. Could I just use BINS for the other half or is that shaky?

I also finished a few necks and did some misc. stuff. Now that's a day! I wasn't sure about the blue guitar. It's not that blue in person. It looks deep teal like it's at the bottom of the ocean. I think I am supposed to buy another HOLE can of blue. Two cans of color! But screw that. I will clear it and see how I like it. I think it's a really rich color. Maybe this is what trans blue looks like after 30 years anyhow.

Yell Like Hell
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

ace work. i wish i was skilled like most of you guys.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

Mo Rocca wrote:ace work. i wish i was skilled like most of you guys.
You can do it to too. You just gotta give it a try. Follow all the steps and you can achomplish the same thing.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

That wildwood really did look amazing. I've actualy liked most of the ones that I have seen and would love to have one. I seem to remember one selling on craigslist a couple months ago for only around $400! For that price I'll definitely have to pick one up someday.
cooter

Re: What I did on my summer vacation

Post by cooter »

DGNR8 wrote:Here is what I did yesterday. I MIGHT HAVE BEEN HAVING TOO MUCH FUN. Today is clear coats. I fucking ran out of primer halfway through my 1956 Duo body. Luckily it was bare back, not top or bottom. Could I just use BINS for the other half or is that shaky?

I also finished a few necks and did some misc. stuff. Now that's a day! I wasn't sure about the blue guitar. It's not that blue in person. It looks deep teal like it's at the bottom of the ocean. I think I am supposed to buy another HOLE can of blue. Two cans of color! But screw that. I will clear it and see how I like it. I think it's a really rich color. Maybe this is what trans blue looks like after 30 years anyhow.

Damn man, I gotta get off the couch more. You're making me look bad. Very nice work.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I've been stuck, waiting for spring. I swung into akshun! I did half the clears today, and work on the necks. I also sanded some kind of terrible spray paint that was too thin to heat gun, but would gum up paper in about 5 seconds. It were teh HORRIBLé! I finally got everything but the crotches sanded and I ran out of juice. I also sunburned my ears. The neighbor kid was whining about the smell from across the street. That's how much I was using. I think I killed a good 6 cans. I am going to end up with a bunch of partials.

The Coronado is everything I had hoped. The only hitch was that the 3M tape pulled away in the inner curves and I had to re-tape over the binding. I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't as fun to do the second time because I had done it RIGHT the first time. I actually had to cut the tape and patch in between. It had stretched but then couldn't hold. Of course the most fun was peeling the tape off and seeing that I had almost NO stray orange anywhere. There were a few tiny spots and I was able to scrape with my fingernail. I also did some tidy decal work. I screwed one up but had a spare.

Many of these steps are scary the first time, but after a few it gets to be beta mode. I have botched several decals. They can roll up into nothing.
Yell Like Hell
cooter

Post by cooter »

I finished the color coats (Sonic Blue) on my Musicmaster. Tinted two necks and cut out three pickguard templates this weekend and I feel like a slacker after seeing what you did on Saturday. After emptying six cans your neighbors kid was probably as high as a downtown crackhead. :shock:
Smells like Rock n' Roll
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

cooterfinger wrote:high as a downtown crackhead. :shock:
I love Georgians and their weird expressions.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
cooter

Post by cooter »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
cooterfinger wrote:high as a downtown crackhead. :shock:
I love Georgians and their weird expressions.
Hey, you know we all sound like Jeff Foxworthy down here. Actually it's meth that's all the rage in these parts. They're all as thin as supermodels but they look eighty and have no teeth and they move like a badger.
Smells like Rock n' Roll
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nice stuff!
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I have sanded my last shortscale body. I may have to sand the grainfiller on the Tele when I get it, but short of that I am THROUGH SANDING. Uh, except for teh wet sanding.

Last night I did some prelim wet sanding on the decals. I actually sand in between coats to make a gradual slope. It's the same thing you do with wood. Rather than keep piling on lacqer, which is like having a lump in the linens, I sand the edge and then hit it with more coats. You can laugh or bitch but this is what it looks like after one day. And yes, I polished it with Finesse for a cheap payoff, and yes it is fucking gorgeous Kustom Shoppe. I didn't like the rounded headstock at first but now I think it looks like the palm of your hand. That nick is fine by me. I ain't touching it.

The top set is pre-Finesse. The bottom set is closer to the actual color. I went with the plain Fender decal that our vendor had (actually a Tele) because I wasn't about to make him create a freaking decal for one guitar. I KNOW WHAT IT IS and I don't really like the Coro logo anyhow. I am nothing if not experimental: I did one shot of trans orange over the decal. You can't tell unless you hold it next to another one. It is faintly coppery. I am using tinted clear and butterscotch like vermouth. Sometimes I just chuck the vodka and swig right out of the bottle.

Yell Like Hell