how to: making a pickguard

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

to be honest i rarely ever set the depth stop on the drill press. usually i just bump it twice.
once sets the deptch, the second widens it and cleans out the plastic.
and besides, even if one is deaper, you think anyone will notice with a screw on top?
aug, if a sheet of plastic is at least twice the size of the pg you are making why would have it hanging off?
do guys use a hand router for pgs or something?
dodgedartdave

Post by dodgedartdave »

aen wrote:That stuff scares the shit out of me. Probably when Im like 40 Ill get a router and start ruiniing stuff and around 42 make smoething cool.
I've been running a router in my dad's shop since I about 10. Each and every time, it scares the crap out me. Specially the pin router the way Aug does it. One false move, and..... that's it. Fuck'd up.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Hurb wrote:This is an A+ thread. we are lucky to have people like robert to bring the know how and just the business like some people do.

would read again!
+1
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Hurb wrote:This is an A+ thread. we are lucky to have people like robert to bring the know how and just the business like some people do.

would read again!
+1.

Robert's work is fucking awesome. Quality, fast servicing, great product, awesome prices and he makes informative threads like this. LEGEND.
robert(original)

you have a pin router and you are complaining??????
dave, i love you, but if you within 2 feet of me i would reach over and smack you!
i have been trying to get ahold of a pin router, the only way i can afford it is if i sold my amp and 2 guitars, and im not really ready to do that yet.
mike its hilarious to hear you say that, becuz your guitar body took forever in my book,same thing with mickies stuff.
by the way. is it warm enough in england yet?
i have been shooting robs neck and its about 14 degrees outside. shoot it outside, and then run inside and stick it in the bathroom!
bubbles, i realized last night that i don't have a p-bass guard template, but i have a p-bass guard so i will work on another informative thread showing how exactly i do a guard temp.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Robert is that 14 C or F?

It's pretty cold up here at the moment. Blizzards and white outs greated me on my way to work this morning.
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

robert(original) wrote:you have a pin router and you are complaining??????
dave, i love you, but if you within 2 feet of me i would reach over and smack you!
i have been trying to get ahold of a pin router, the only way i can afford it is if i sold my amp and 2 guitars, and im not really ready to do that yet.
mike its hilarious to hear you say that, becuz your guitar body took forever in my book,same thing with mickies stuff.
by the way. is it warm enough in england yet?
i have been shooting robs neck and its about 14 degrees outside. shoot it outside, and then run inside and stick it in the bathroom!
bubbles, i realized last night that i don't have a p-bass guard template, but i have a p-bass guard so i will work on another informative thread showing how exactly i do a guard temp.
It should be within a few weeks I think. However I need to wait on my neck from Warmoth in case I need to do any stuff to the neck pocket etc. It's supposed to finally be getting sent out next week.
I'll never use them again.
robert(original)

how long ago did you order it?
besides the shim the neck pocket is ace, i checked it with my j.s. neck.
everyone seems to have good things to say about warmoth what say you?
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I think he has been waiting three months for his neck or there abouts. When he bought the body from you, he also ordered the neck and they still ain't laid it down.
euan
dawnofzion

Post by dawnofzion »

I could have built you a custom neck in that time.
tribi9
Administrator

Post by tribi9 »

One more time!

Excellent thread!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

robert(original) wrote:how long ago did you order it?
besides the shim the neck pocket is ace, i checked it with my j.s. neck.
everyone seems to have good things to say about warmoth what say you?
I say I got quoted 4-6 weeks and we're on week 19 now. They're shit at replying to email too.

Looking forward to getting it up and runningw.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

dawnofzion wrote:I could have built you a custom neck in that time.
Next time i'll just ask you. A Tele Deluxe profile 24" neck would have wet my knickers.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

Mike wrote:
dawnofzion wrote:I could have built you a custom neck in that time.
Next time i'll just ask you. A Tele Deluxe profile 24" neck would have wet my knickers.
I'm actually getting a noho-ese 24" Tele Deluxe-ish nech for my Rob OG body. should be interesting
robert(original)

ditto, i could have also built you a neck that time.
my jaguar neck is about 3 weeks in, and if i had not have been doing other stuff i would be painting it right now.
warmoth prolly just started painting it or something lame like that.
and its odd becuz everything is cnc over there, i knew a fellow that radiused fretboards all day long, he would just stick it in one side of the machine punch in the radius and and collect it on the other side. a shame too, he built some really nice electrics and ended up working a factory job, altho im pretty sure he quit after 6 months.