Esquire = sex

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

hahaha

do you have it or are you just making plans to get one?
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I had always been a 3 saddle bridge hater. Then I got my 50s tele. After a while I realized that I could live with a 3 saddle, but definetly prefer a sixer.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Haze

Post by Haze »

this is my planning
if it looks like a good idea [your alls input] then im selling my HH tele shit and buying one of these squire's and start piecing it all together

anyone know any use for a 3-way in an esquire?
i dont hardly know shit about them.
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

...I think if I built an esquire I'd play it for about 10 minutes before trying to find almost anything to stick in the neck position :lol:

Esquires= Eddie Van Halen Teles and I'm going to call them that from now on. :P

In any case, I'd use the 3 way to include a bright (think jag bright switch) and mud mode. Someone probably knows a way to do that, I'm doing something similar on my project with a 3 way dpdt...
boyecho

Post by boyecho »

Jagermeister wrote:...I think if I built an esquire I'd play it for about 10 minutes before trying to find almost anything to stick in the neck position :lol:
i honestly think an esquire would send me into a fit. i don't use the bridge pickup on any guitar i own unless it's blending with the neck.

but the only neck pickup i have around is a tvjones. that's going into my special project.
EddieN

Post by EddieN »

Haze wrote:this is my planning
if it looks like a good idea [your alls input] then im selling my HH tele shit and buying one of these squire's and start piecing it all together

anyone know any use for a 3-way in an esquire?
i dont hardly know shit about them.
One position is normal volume & tone control, other goes from volume to jack with no tone control (loud & bright) & 3rd is run thru some caps & shit to produce an also unadjustable (tonewise) bassy sound. Here's some diagrams: http://www.tdpri.com/wiringESQUIRE.htm but I believe there's some others.

Some guys have traded out for lower value caps 'cause they found the bassy setting too bassy.

I'm planning an Esquier too but I ain't much further along than you.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It funny how all the 3 saddle bridge haterz came around. I think both Aen and Mike stayed shitty on it, and now they know the deal.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Looks like a nice idea, the esquires look nice..
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
RumorsOFsurF

Post by RumorsOFsurF »

aen wrote:I had always been a 3 saddle bridge hater. Then I got my 50s tele. After a while I realized that I could live with a 3 saddle, but definetly prefer a sixer.

I'm the opposite. I'm a 3-saddle convert. I used to prefer modern Tele bridges(I know, WTF right?), but I installed a 3-saddle on my white MIM, and I'm totally in love!

I've been wanting to Esquire this guitar for a while now... '97 top loader MIM. I just haven't got around to it yet. (drilling for the ferrules scares me.) I have the pickguard, but that's as far as I've gone with it.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

jcyphe wrote:It funny how all the 3 saddle bridge haterz came around. I think both Aen and Mike stayed shitty on it, and now they know the deal.
Well, I did swap it out. Plus 3 saddle bridges have big lips and screws that chop up my hand. do not want. Intonation was pretty good, definetly better in "standard" tuning. But for my tuning, there's a huge difference where your D and G would go, in my case D and A.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

jcyphe wrote:It funny how all the 3 saddle bridge haterz came around. I think both Aen and Mike stayed shitty on it, and now they know the deal.
Yeah, I'll totally admit I spoke from a position of ignorance and had concerns about the intonation. But when I got my telecaster I found that with the 9s it was shipped with it would get a bit squiffy on the G string if the D was intonated and vice versa around the 12+th frets, but once I put my 11s on it it was bang in - no bother. and it DOES affect the sound also, the sustain and twang lives in 3 saddle bridges with brass saddles.

I'm a fan, and a humble convert.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I'm all about the 3 brass saddles. I like the feel of it under my hand better than the 6 saddle not so modern bridge as well.
euan
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:
Yeah, I'll totally admit I spoke from a position of ignorance and had concerns about the intonation. But when I got my telecaster I found that with the 9s it was shipped with it would get a bit squiffy on the G string if the D was intonated and vice versa around the 12+th frets, but once I put my 11s on it it was bang in - no bother. and it DOES affect the sound also, the sustain and twang lives in 3 saddle bridges with brass saddles.

I'm a fan, and a humble convert.
I think the best Teles are basically overgrown steel guitars. So the 3 saddle bridge gives more of that sort of character. Where the 6 saddle bridge is more of a proper guitar, but what's proper doesn't always give the most unique sound, or interesting sound to the ears.