Guitar choices - please advise!!!

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Which guitar should I get?

01 - Fernandez Tele (S-S)
7%
02 - Westbury Deluxe (H-H)
15%
03 - Fender/Squire Strat (S-S)
7%
04 - Fender Tele (S-S) 1990-1991
56%
05 - Electra Phoenix x189JB Jet Black (H-S-H)
4%
06 - Dearmond S-73 (H-H)
4%
07 - Fender Strat (S-S-S) 92-93 Mexico made
No votes
08 - Skylark 857-2596 (H-H)
4%
09 - Brownsville Impala (S-H)
4%
10 - Yamaha SC-3000 (S-S-S)
No votes
11 - White Strat, unknown brand (S-S-S)
No votes
12 - D'Augustin (H-H)
No votes
13 - Cort Strat Copy (S-S)
No votes

Total votes: 27
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Teles are gay. Fender anounced it, they've been in the closet since 1950+.
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

I guess you better watch out for your instruments then ((hide))

:lol:
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

aphasiac wrote:I'd take the Fender tele.

Probably worth the mostm instant Bloc Party sound, just the best of the bunch really.

Doubt you can play SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER MOTHER FUCKER on it, but meh.
of course you can!

Tune it down, put it through a big muff and play the bridge pickup, and play that shit hard. Srsly, Teles are good for everything, unless you require a tremelo system. That why they invented Jazzmasters and Jags.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Regardless of it probably being the best fit for your tonal preferences, I'll advise you against taking the DeArmond. I tried one of those a few years ago and the neck was astoundingly shitty. It actually FELT as bad as the neck off that Cort stratojazzer thing in pic. 13 LOOKS.

#4 FTW!
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

guitarister

Post by guitarister »

Just curious... what's the difference between the two Fender strats I listed. One was Squier Fender and the other was Fender? I noticed one got votes and the other didn't. I'm also looking for a second guitar from these for my bro who also is getting a guitar. He asked me to pick one for him.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

The difference is that some will argue that the Squier is of lesser quality no matter where, when or by whom the Fender was made.
Squier is basically Fender's budget brand and altough they are pretty much always less expensive than the models they copy, it has been said that some Squiers can surpass "the real thing", in terms of quality, every now and then.

This is likely not the case for the one you've posted, judging from the board's reaction.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

yea, but what he's saying is people, who knows why, voted for the squier strat (2 votes) more than the fender strat (0 votes).

The Fender one is better. The squier one has some weirdness going on with the bridge pickup.

these are the ones I thought were best:
1.) Fender Tele (S-S) 1990-1991
2.) Fender Strat (S-S-S) 92-93 Mexico made
3.) Brownsville Impala (S-H)
4.) Yamaha SC-3000 (S-S-S)
5.) Fender/Squire Strat (S-S)
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

?? According to the poll, the board liked the Squier better than the Fender.

Do you think that would also hold true with the Fernandes Tele verse the Fender Tele? I know that some of the Fernandes ones actually were supposed to surpass the Fenders.

Also, the unkown strat. Do you think that's some neck-replaced Fender or not even worth considering?

One other thing I'm not particular sure what to think of is that several of these guitars people seemed to think were total crap. It's possible they were, but I know he cared a lot about his guitars (the ones I'm being offered are his cheaper ones) and I don't think he would've kept them if they were totally sucky. I've heard several people post negative comments about some of the off-brand guitars and only seem to have played one of them. I was wondering if people who've looked at those brands more extensively (and don't only buy Fender guitars) can comment on how good they are.

Don't get me wrong, Fender make good guitars, but rightly or wrongly there's a lot of people who will immediately say Fender without knowing anything about the other guitars and that can skew numbers. If the Fenders really are better I'm glad to take em, but I don't want to take them just because they're more popular. I want to take the guitars that are the most kickass and have the best balance between playability, tone, features, etc... Thanks!
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

mage wrote:yea, but what he's saying is people, who knows why, voted for the squier strat (2 votes) more than the fender strat (0 votes).

The Fender one is better. The squier one has some weirdness going on with the bridge pickup.

these are the ones I thought were best:
1.) Fender Tele (S-S) 1990-1991
2.) Fender Strat (S-S-S) 92-93 Mexico made
3.) Brownsville Impala (S-H)
4.) Yamaha SC-3000 (S-S-S)
5.) Fender/Squire Strat (S-S)
Mage, thank you! That's exactly the kind of answers I'm looking for.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I would say there are a lot of knowledgable people here who know a shit load about all kinds of different guitars. but yes, most are fender fans. I'm sure your relative liked these guitars a lot. that's fine. everyone has different tastes in guitars. hence, shortscale.org. A lot of people on this board like teles (except fran). From what you told us, you like a lot of modern british rock. The predominant guitar in british bands today is the fender telecaster.
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

Keep in mind though, I'm not exclusively into Brit. rock. Also, I have to pick out at least 1 guitar for my bro and possibly one for my other bro as well.

The third one definitely playability and variety is most important (not very experienced player - he's generally more into harder stuff, also one that stays in tune well would be key for him). For the 2nd one, I generally think he'll want some possibility to coil-tap. The one for me, I think I'd either want one that can do coil-tap as well, but I also might consider a set of single-coils.

Either way, I'm not going to pick 3 Fenders. The Tele is very strong likelihood going to be one that gets picked. Beyond that, I'm thinking that one of them would be from among the Brownsville, Westbury, DeArmond, D'Augustin, Skylark Camp.

For a single-coil option I was thinking Fender Strat, Brownsville, or Yamaha.

I know there's a lot of people who know a crapload more than me about these guitars and I don't intend in anyway to insult their intelligence or anything like that. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a potentially better guitar just because it didn't bear the Fender name.
Last edited by guitarister on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Hmm... Yeah, I totally didn't look at the results and just naturally assumed that the Squier had gotten the least votes.
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

laterallateral wrote:Hmm... Yeah, I totally didn't look at the results and just naturally assumed that the Squier had gotten the least votes.
It's chill. To be honest, I think there may have been too many options for a poll and people just looked at whatever ones were at the top. Or maybe I was just stupid in designing the poll. I should've split up the Fenders more probably.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

nonsense, your poll is fine but seriously, the tele SH is miles ahead of the rest, considering what you want to do with it, brand name asside.
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

Well I've got no problem with the Tele being one of them. My inclination going into it (based off ebay street price) was that the tele would be better than the other two Fenders and a bunch of the other guitars. What I don't get is why people seemed to think that the Squier with the busted neck pickup would be better than the Fender strat as well as all the other guitars. If I were just looking for one guitar, I'd probably just go with either the Tele or DeArmond. I suppose I should've made it clearer initially that I also had to pick out for my bros as well, but I just figured that the poll would indicate what the next best guitars would be. It hasn't seemed to do that tho.
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

Maybe I should've just said pick 3 instead of doing the poll and hand-counting. More work, but probably more accurate.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

I say give it time for the results to filter in. I'm honestly as amazed as anybody, to see a busted Squier win over a decent looking Strat and would love to hear those who voted for it defend their choice BUT I must re-caution you against the DeArmond. Altough I've only seen one and I must have spent less than a minute playing it, the experience was so heinous that I'm more than happy leaving it at that.

Perhaps it would help if you told us more about yourself as a guitarist. what kind of necks do you like? How long have you been playing?
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

I used to play acoustic due to having an acoustic guitar, but I want to get into electric. Pretty much everything I mentioned in the original post and everything in between.

Generally, I like thinner necks (if it's too thick I feel like I can't move well). I also prefer shorter necks, but honestly that's not a huge concern for me. I've played other people's electrics before, so I'm not a total newcomer to electric guitar.
Last edited by guitarister on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
guitarister

Post by guitarister »

btw, are you sure you weren't playing an improperly setup DeArmond? That model got rave reviews on harmony-central. I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious. Also, was it used or new?