Whouse got 'Metal' guitars?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

TheBurbz wrote:I'd love one of those Ibanez RG350DX's, I'm just put off because it looks like a Vai guitar and I don't want people to think I'm a poser. The necks on those guitars are really stunning though, for someone like myself who has small hands and can barely manage a Tele, the super-slim Ibanez necks are a dream :)
They are pretty long scale wise, though. I understand Ibanezezeses are longer than teles or strats, so that might be an issue.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

TheBurbz wrote:I'd love one of those Ibanez RG350DX's, I'm just put off because it looks like a Vai guitar and I don't want people to think I'm a poser. The necks on those guitars are really stunning though, for someone like myself who has small hands and can barely manage a Tele, the super-slim Ibanez necks are a dream :)
I know, I have always liked the idea of the ibanez RG guitars. I just can never get over that they look so lame.
BacchusPaul wrote:They are pretty long scale wise, though. I understand Ibanezezeses are longer than teles or strats, so that might be an issue.
really?
esteban

Post by esteban »

mage wrote:
I know, I have always liked the idea of the ibanez RG guitars. I just can never get over that they look so lame.
BacchusPaul wrote:They are pretty long scale wise, though. I understand Ibanezezeses are longer than teles or strats, so that might be an issue.
really?
i don't think they're any longer. they do have more frets (24), though.
When I die, they'll say, 'He couldn't play shit, but he sure made it sound good!'

Hound Dog Taylor
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

oh, so the neck is physically longer (due to it's enhanced shred zone) but the scale is still 25.5
Haze

Post by Haze »

get it, i thought about getting that exact 350DX but decided to bump up a bit to the 5EX1
should have stuck with the 350 tho! would have probably turned it into a Vai guit-fiddle anyways tho...
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

i almost talked myself into a 350DX once - then after spending about half an hour with one just couldn't get used to the neck: too anorexic. do still occasionally browse them, then go back to a classic strat neck and forget about it...
my signature goes here
astro

Post by astro »

Here's the 1980 Gibson Explorer E2 I owned for years and hardly ever played...

Great guitar. Made of walnut and maple, with an ebony fingerboard. Dirty Fingers pickups, which sounded incredible for the Hardz Rawkz. Fender style contours on the body.

I had to sell it because I hated the fingerboard radius. I don't know the exact spec, but the fingerboard was almost completely flat. It made it hard for me to play, so it sat in the case for most of the time I owned it. I sold it on Craigslist last fall.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I love the hockeystick headstock on Explorers. The rest is terrible.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Is a natural finish explorer really a 'metal' guitar though? Thing just makes me think of the Husker Du 'makes no sense' live vid where Bob Mould plays one.

Actually, I think it might just be possible to play one publicly without irony and not be laughed at.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Oh, I got a metal guitar. Weak lulz.

NickS

Re: Whouse got 'Metal' guitars?

Post by NickS »

Fran wrote:Suppose i could say my old Flying V falls into that category and the Squier Stagemaster certainly does.
I has a V for that Andy Powell sound. It doesn't have a Floyd Rose. It doesn't even have a Vibrola.
NickS

Post by NickS »

timhulio wrote:Oh, I got a metal guitar. Weak lulz.
What's that?
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Electrical Guitar Company Custom 500 wossit. Little bit like a Travis Bean 500.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

teh Albeeneez
Chorlton

Post by Chorlton »

astro wrote:Here's the 1980 Gibson Explorer E2 I owned for years and hardly ever played...

Great guitar. Made of walnut and maple, with an ebony fingerboard. Dirty Fingers pickups, which sounded incredible for the Hardz Rawkz. Fender style contours on the body.

I had to sell it because I hated the fingerboard radius. I don't know the exact spec, but the fingerboard was almost completely flat. It made it hard for me to play, so it sat in the case for most of the time I owned it. I sold it on Craigslist last fall.
i love those things
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

timhulio wrote:Is a natural finish explorer really a 'metal' guitar though? Thing just makes me think of the Husker Du 'makes no sense' live vid where Bob Mould plays one.

Actually, I think it might just be possible to play one publicly without irony and not be laughed at.
I had Mould (and the Edge) in mind when i had that Gordon Smith Explorer years ago, but i think maybe unfairly, like Flying V's they are associated with Metal.

Here's my V

I've had that for about 11 years now but never use it. Its a Jap model presume that i refinished with danish oil and beeswax, it's total quality and the neck is the most comfortable i have ever played.
arcadedave

Post by arcadedave »

I reckon single pick-up 80s rawk machines are the next big thing. I wanted this bad, but it ended early :(
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

I'm surprised how many people are into these guitars. I'm not a big fan of metal but they are sometimes a nice change from the millions of Fenders and Fender-clones that we usually see on here.
Are you a Wizard?
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Randy Rhoads Proto Reproduction , aka White beauty

Prestige Styled , aka Gritante

Evh thing , not perfect ...
Do no where i put an pic
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

I was recently thinking about maybe selling some stuff and getting a Schecter C1 Hellraiser or whatever with them thar EMG pickups. For recording metal shit.
Last edited by Sloan on Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.