Whats Your Main Guitar/Guitar You Couldnt Be Without?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Tit for tat, we've all our preferences, and it's simply my #1 for more than a few reasons:

First of all, the radius issue doesn't especially bother me at all, both from an overall height point of view (higher E strings) and individual string volume. Bone(ivory nut) + TOM = amazing sustain, no bridge buzzing, consistently good intonation and most of all fantastic tuning stability with trem use. A few weeks ago I had a hard hitting Tele player from Australia play it for a few sets, and the first thing he told me was "Woah, she really stays in tune, mate". Mind you, all of my Fender 6-stringers have tremolos, and it actually stays in tune the best.

Frankly, my Jag and it's original bridge are not a bad deal altogether and simply a neato contrast to everything the Jazzmaster is at the moment. I like both, but the Jazzo gets the mileage for being the trustworthy workhorse of the household. Still, the Jag will hopefully get a Mustang Warmoth mod bridge sometime soon.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I could get all dewy eyed and say this and that but i have'nt got a particular one.
There are about three, i've never come across a single guitar that can cover everything i want.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

My black jazzmaster comes a second place, even though a few months ago I wanted to sell it...but really that would of been reet daft as it has got loads of play and I have re fell in love with it.
NickD

Post by NickD »

The one I couldn't be without is my Epi Les Paul, mainly because I've had it for close to 20 years.

It's not my favourite though.
light rail coyote

Post by light rail coyote »

the jag, although the epi is my new for now favorite
Fuzz monkeys are generally fed the most bananas
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

My '67 Duo-Sonic - I've had it about 8 years now, so there's been much bonding.

I'll probably feel the same way about the Dano U-1 once it catches up - very, very comfortable.
Aeon

Post by Aeon »

Two, to be honest. They both have their uses.

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I don't play it so much any more but every time I pick up my Jag-Stang, it feels just right. Shame it doesn't sound how I want.

My Strat comes in a close second...don't see myself ever getting rid of it.

benecol

Post by benecol »

Aeon wrote:Two, to be honest. They both have their uses.

Well I never - I was going to make a tele/jazz hybrid like that one. Tell me a bit about it?
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

NickD wrote:The one I couldn't be without is my Epi Les Paul, mainly because I've had it for close to 20 years.

It's not my favourite though.
I know the dilemma. My Flying V has been with me since before my daughter was born and brings many good memories but i would be lieing if i said it was my ultimate number 1.

purplehaze19x

Post by purplehaze19x »

Mid '80's MIJ Jazzmaster

Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

benecol wrote:

Well I never - I was going to make a tele/jazz hybrid like that one. Tell me a bit about it?
I asked him aboot it a while back, I gotta lot of lil' <3 for Elliott smith.

[youtube][/youtube]

But I too could not live with out a jazzmaster, I think vintage for custom/handmade guitars have more value personally. That's why I am building an Esquire with Rob made body.

-Joe
Aeon

Post by Aeon »

benecol wrote:

Ok, well here are the specs:

USA Custom Guitars Body and Neck
-Alder, rear routed body. Appears to be one piece, although they could have just done a really freaking good bookmatching job
-Maple, one piece neck (with the rosewood skunk stripe on the back.) Chunky "boat contour" back. Gibson-style frets (low and wide).
Graphtec graphite nut
Fender AVRI Telecaster hardware (tuners, bridge and saddles, string post, ferrules, control plate, knobs and switch, etc.)
Fender AVRI Jazzmaster Neck Pickup

Dimarzio Pre-B1 Bridge pickup... This has a slightly higher output than a normal tele pickup but still retains the characteristic twang without getting too midrangey. Also, it lacks the metal base plate, which was important because otherwise it would have been too bright due to the electronics...

...which were essentially the lead circuit of a Jazzmaster. (1 Meg Pots). I was afraid the bridge would sound too bright but ended up perfect.

Oh, I also finished the wood with wipe on polyurethane. Only used about 2-3 coats, so the finish is really thin. I am still considering redoing the finish in nitro in some sort of transparent color. I've also experimented with pickguards, they all look bad on this guitar. FINALLY, I did switch out the originally aged white neck pickup cover to black to match the bridge pickup.

This was my first homebuilt guitar project but it ended up very very nice. It plays better than any other guitar I have ever played. It also sounds better than any Telecaster I've yet to play.

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

This one here is my go-to guitar these days:

This is the one I couldn't be without:
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I think my 72 Music Master, but I am just a hobby slob. I don't actually use them for anything. The Tele Deluxe is the smarter answer.
Yell Like Hell
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

I wish I had an Ovation, or maybe an Epiphone... Right now, it's air guitar.
If you think of god as a pair of pants, a spiritualist thinks he needs pants, in fact he wants pants but none of the conventional types of pants seem to fit just right, so he makes his own pants and is happy that his knees are no longer cold.-fibus
jon183

Post by jon183 »

sorry its not a fender. though i Love my tele

but my Gretsch is the winner.....EVERYTIME.

Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

ultratwin wrote:Tit for tat, we've all our preferences, and it's simply my #1 for more than a few reasons:

First of all, the radius issue doesn't especially bother me at all, both from an overall height point of view (higher E strings) and individual string volume. Bone(ivory nut) + TOM = amazing sustain, no bridge buzzing, consistently good intonation and most of all fantastic tuning stability with trem use. A few weeks ago I had a hard hitting Tele player from Australia play it for a few sets, and the first thing he told me was "Woah, she really stays in tune, mate". Mind you, all of my Fender 6-stringers have tremolos, and it actually stays in tune the best.

Frankly, my Jag and it's original bridge are not a bad deal altogether and simply a neato contrast to everything the Jazzmaster is at the moment. I like both, but the Jazzo gets the mileage for being the trustworthy workhorse of the household. Still, the Jag will hopefully get a Mustang Warmoth mod bridge sometime soon.
Thats sorta of how the CIJ Jaguar I bought from bubbles (You know, the one you shot down. :wink:) is like. It looks like the TOM came stock on the guitar and I actually like it. Stays in tune wonderfully even when inflicting some sonic revenge on the tremoloz. Maybe it had to do with a nice setup or the fact that its a Modern TOM.

Alternately, the TOM on the J Mascis Jazzmater was way more flimsy and always got out of tune with its STANDARD TOM. We replaced it with a sexy roller bridge.
blane

Post by blane »

old stand-by

clicky link image thingie
Guitars:
2014 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2013 Gibson SG 61RI
1998 Paul Reed Smith CE22
benecol

Post by benecol »

Aeon - thanks for that; we must have very similar tastes, those are the neck specs I would go for too. I'd need a pickguard (I'm a vain, vain man) but will sit and mess with photoshop today...