Jagstang Project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Yea... but if you hack up the one that you have it will have no resale value if you ever did decide to sell it. If you got a body made your production model JS would still retain it's value.
mcconnachiea

Post by mcconnachiea »

I'm not bothered about the value because I don't plan on selling it

And I might leave out countours anyway
mcconnachiea

Post by mcconnachiea »

So I just need a good painting guide. I lie in the UK so reranch is not an option :(

If anybody knows someone in london who could do a good job, that would be great too :D
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i also wouldn't mod that body, but it is, after all, your guitar. if you do decide to cut into it and do the work yourself, i'd recommend getting some other planks of wood to practice on first.

another resource to go to school on would be our own more cowbell and icebytes. cowbell got a custom jag-stang from warmoth, and icey got one custom made by a local luthier (if memory serves). i'm pretty sure both were happy with the results.
mcconnachiea

Post by mcconnachiea »

dots wrote:i also wouldn't mod that body, but it is, after all, your guitar. if you do decide to cut into it and do the work yourself, i'd recommend getting some other planks of wood to practice on first.

another resource to go to school on would be our own more cowbell and icebytes. cowbell got a custom jag-stang from warmoth, and icey got one custom made by a local luthier (if memory serves). i'm pretty sure both were happy with the results.
Yeah, they both used to be on JS.com :(

I have modded and built guitar, just never painted one

And I'll defo use some planks, I just don't know if I should, and if I do, then I don't know how to do contours. What tools would I use?
luke

Post by luke »

I personally think your age and lack of experience is making you consider things that you'll regret. When I was your age I got my Jag-Stang and I thought of cool mods to do. Well, in the end I left it as it is and now I'm more money conscious, I know that's the best thing to do. There is no need to modify such a rare guitar when replacement bodies are so easy to come by.
mcconnachiea

Post by mcconnachiea »

I only have £50 for the whole project and a body alone would set me back at least £80

I can borrow a spokeshave, do the contours, prime, paint and laquer. But before that I'd be routing it to fit the toggle switch and those roller knobs (I'd also be altering the pickguard for that)

I have got pretty good results out of big mods before (making an explorer/tele mutt) so I'm not afraid to do it again.
My main concern is how the bare wood and sanded down paint would look next to each other - I'm worried about that showing through :?
luke

Post by luke »

mcconnachiea wrote:I only have £50 for the whole project and a body alone would set me back at least £80

I can borrow a spokeshave, do the contours, prime, paint and laquer. But before that I'd be routing it to fit the toggle switch and those roller knobs (I'd also be altering the pickguard for that)

I have got pretty good results out of big mods before (making an explorer/tele mutt) so I'm not afraid to do it again.
My main concern is how the bare wood and sanded down paint would look next to each other - I'm worried about that showing through :?
You're not taking into account the £200 or so you're decreasing from the value of your Jag-Stang...

A body would not cost you nearly as much as £80. There are members on this forum who'd give you a lot more than just a body for that sort of money. If your aptitude in this field is as good as you say it is, you should have no problem routing out the whole guitar from a simple blank, and you'd save so much time, effort and money in doing so.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

Malik wrote:
mcconnachiea wrote:I only have £50 for the whole project and a body alone would set me back at least £80

You're not taking into account the £200 or so you're decreasing from the value of your Jag-Stang...

A body would not cost you nearly as much as £80. There are members on this forum who'd give you a lot more than just a body for that sort of money. If your aptitude in this field is as good as you say it is, you should have no problem routing out the whole guitar from a simple blank, and you'd save so much time, effort and money in doing so.
Malik... I think you're wasting your breath here.

Side note:
I'm really dumbfounded by the concept of an explorer/tele. Not in a good way.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
mcconnachiea

Post by mcconnachiea »

Malik wrote:

Well If anybody has a jagstang body that they would sell me for as little as that then I'll do that. I am really not bothered about the value because I have absolutely no intention of selling it. I'd sell the original body if I got a new one but the problem is that it is chipped to buggery so it would be better to repaint it.

I agree with most of what you're saying but as for the money, I would rather work with what I already have
luke

Post by luke »

mcconnachiea wrote:
Malik wrote:

Well If anybody has a jagstang body that they would sell me for as little as that then I'll do that. I am really not bothered about the value because I have absolutely no intention of selling it. I'd sell the original body if I got a new one but the problem is that it is chipped to buggery so it would be better to repaint it.

I agree with most of what you're saying but as for the money, I would rather work with what I already have
You have absolutely no intention of selling it now. One day you will regret modifying it.
mcconnachiea

Post by mcconnachiea »

I know, but once I have modded it, I can put the original pickguard back on, and respray it sonic blue. This simply means it will be like bone stock, just with a better finish, in mint condition and with contours added- the contours is what puts most people off jagstangs
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

the lack of contours is one of the greatest things about the jagstang
astro

Post by astro »

If you're going to the trouble of stripping, routing, painting, and contouring, I don't understand what the big deal is preventing you from just making a new body from scratch. It wouldn't be that much more work, and you'd keep the resale value of the instrument. Even if you don't plan on selling the guitar now, you never know if in the future you might be faced with a financial emergency that requires you to sell things to raise quick cash. Just my $0.02.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Why listen to the experts? Just do what you want even if it means destroying something that has major value!
/sarcasm
holyCATS1415

Post by holyCATS1415 »

seriously, if you have the skill, why not just make a new body. that way you can route it to your specifications, add
contours and paint it WITHOUT going through the miserable task of stripping poly paint.

a body blank is dirt cheap. like 25 worthless american dollars cheap.

trace your jagstang body and then cut on the dotted line.

don't waste your time!
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Alright, Sell the Jagstang you could make like £400-£700 off it and then buy

http://tinyurl.com/dmjrzq - Warmoth Jagstang Body $135

http://tinyurl.com/coobyl - Warmoth Mustang Neck $193
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Agreed with above statements. Make your own body... you sound like you're confident enough in your woodworking skills, so it shouldn't be that hard for you to do that, and then one day if you want to sell the guitar your original one is completely untouched and will still have it's value, and then you might even be able to sell the one that you made. But seriously, nobody is going to pay the same amount for a jag-stang that's been stripped, contour'd and re-finished... Even if you don't fuck it up, no one would pay that much money for such a thing.
holyCATS1415

Post by holyCATS1415 »

wether or not he is going to re-sell, it would make so much more sense to just make a new body.

and that way if he fucks it up he would still have a guitar to PLAY or sell.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

what a hard design to love. i think you should make your own body, and then make it cool. then we could really see if your woodworking skills are really all that bawlz.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.