money

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Re: money

Post by westtexasred »

Mo Rawka wrote:i was just watching some stuff with george gruhn on youtube, and he was spouting a bunch of stuff about how expensive instruments are best.

here's my question:
what is your spending limit on a single guitar/bass?

as of right now, the most ive spent is $800, and that got me a great guitar with a case that has lasted me 7 years and will last me much longer.

and i know that this is on a case-by-case basis, but i'd say that i wont spend more than $2000 on a single guitar, ever. sure, i love guitars, but $2000 can buy a lot of food/gas/whatever else.
The most I ever spent was $2000 for a Gretsch White Penguin.Cool guitar,I bought it from Mitch Easter. Too bad I couldn't afford to keep it.

paul_

Post by paul_ »

My Les Paul was $1900 sticker so like $2200 or something after tax.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

699 for my mg65

wouldn't spend anymore than that i don't think. it took me a whole year to pay it off
dots wrote:incesticide
Stan Kwervo

Post by Stan Kwervo »

The most I've spent on a guitar was 600$ on my classic player Jazzmaster. 800$ is my limit, but I think later in life when I'm a lot more financially secure it could go up, but that wouldn't matter cause I'm pretty content with what I've got.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

750 For my jaguar. If I had the cash I might go higher. Last purchase was 310 in total for my P Bass.
Justin J

Post by Justin J »

pretty much just limited by my means. if i had the money i would not hesitate to buy all the cool guitars i could afford.
the most expensive guitar i've ever bought was my jaguar at $1600. i had saved up a bunch and sold my CIJ jag to get it.
Haze

Post by Haze »

James wrote:Search for 'custom les paul', Author 'lamp' brings up only four results.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22415
► Show Spoiler
the most i have spent was $400 on an Ibanez, which i flipped for a MIM Tele, i probably got screwed on the deal but i love that tele and couldnt get it on with a floyd

I would/have considered spending around 3 bills for a warmoth neck, but it would be EXACTLY what i wanted out of a strat neck: SRV contour, 7.5 radius, ebony board, graphite nut, 6105 frets, glossy tint finish, small headstock, etc

if i were to build a strat i could easily spend 8 hundred USD for bits and pieces. The same probably goes for a new guitar.

ONLY circumstance is if i find a Vintage Jag i couldnt live without/serious bro deals
Mityushikha

Post by Mityushikha »

I think the most I would spend in the forseeable future would be around the £800 mark. I don't subscribe to the idea of 'vintage mojo' and I'm not that bothered about having an American made instrument over Japanese made and those two things seem to be the main selling point when you get to about £800 and up. There is obviously a huge difference between a £200 and £400 guitar but at £600 I don't think the extra £200 goes as far, if you know what I mean, although I could possibly be persuaded otherwise.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

$700 for the Stealth Jag is the most I've ever spent on a guitar.
Altough I've never done it, I can imagine the right guitar could get a Grand out of me.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Richard

Post by Richard »

Gavin wrote:I suppose if I had Oprah money I would just buy whatever took my fancy.
+1

The most I've ever spent was $904 on a used AVRI Jazzmaster.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

i once spent $1200 on a '63 ES-335, which i later sold on ebay for +$9000

i think not more than that...

Pat.
my name is Pat.
JamesSmann

Post by JamesSmann »

$1199 for my American Deluxe Jazz Bass. Everything else has been in the 250-400 range.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

£1900 for my fylde acoustic. Saved hard for a long time, and has been worth every penny... won't be getting anything in that bracket again for a loooooooong time.

rest have been odds and ends, £300 - £600 mark, only exception being a gibson les paul at the £1200 mark - which was a few years ago and was paid for by a golden handcuffs deal with my old job...
my signature goes here
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

The most I've spent was $1,800 for the Orange over LPB Mustang. My exwife/current girlfriend/sort of still my wife, bought me the older Orange Mustang when we got back together for $2,000. I try to keep any guitar purchase under a thousand and if I can under $500. Unfortunatly most of them are in the $500 - $1,000 range. I have a pretty good idea of what I've spent on each one individually, but have never added it all up. I'm way too impulsive when I see something I want.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Re: money

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

westtexasred wrote:Image
fuck yes. i would not spend 2k on a guitar, but i would fuck that one.

the most i would pay is probably $600. i have so little time to play anymore, i couldn't justify spending more unless it was for a vintage AC30 (alas, we're talking guitars).
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.