Awesome Mod for Cyclone HH

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I used to own a nice PRS McCarty Standard that had a coil tap. Makes the guitar more versatile, but the coil tap sound never sounded good to me. It would work in a pinch, but my Squier CV Duo-sonic sounded way better than the coil tapped hummies. the sound was thinner, but lost all the definition and character that I loved about the humbuckers. Course I sold the PRS to buy my AVRI Jag. I am more of a single coil guy most of the time anyway. The only coil tapped guitar I have liked is the CP Jaguar HH but that is an adjustable coil tap.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
cleo

Post by cleo »

Can you post some samples of the guitars sounds?
Lovely Cyclone!
"Ain't no one going to turn me 'round."
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

BacchusPaul wrote:Oh wow, coil taps. Exciting stuff.
Bacchus Paul, Vice President, Shortscale Salt Company
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
estaban22

Post by estaban22 »

Oh wow, over 12,000 posts consisting entirely of "witty" banter. Pathetic.

I find this quite humorous coming from a guy who called someone out for not "contributing" anything to the forum. First off, not all of us have a lot of time to dedicate to posting on this forum, even though we have the opportunity to discuss something we enjoy. Most people spend their free time having what is known as a life. Secondly, what does the above comment contribute to the forum? The fact that you troll around each thread "whilst" looking for an opportunity to make a sarcastic comment is not funny, it is just sad.

I knew someone that acted like a complete smart ass all the time up until he got his ass kicked... in middle school. You're nothing special, trust me. Put on your big boy pants and grow the hell up. I would also like to dedicate this post to the couple other "high and mighty" people just like this guy who really take all the fun out of coming to this forum to have a real discussion about guitars.
Guitars:

2004 Fender Cyclone HH (Orange) w/ coil taps
1985 Fender Jazzmaster w/Lollars, mustang bridge and buzzstop
2008 Fender Telecaster Standard (Candy Cola Red)
2008 Fender Jaguar HJG-66KC VI
2009 Fender Stratocaster Standard
KS11

Post by KS11 »

estaban22 wrote:

I find this quite humorous coming from a guy who called someone out for not "contributing" anything to the forum. First off, not all of us have a lot of time to dedicate to posting on this forum, even though we have the opportunity to discuss something we enjoy. Most people spend their free time having what is known as a life. Secondly, what does the above comment contribute to the forum? The fact that you troll around each thread "whilst" looking for an opportunity to make a sarcastic comment is not funny, it is just sad.

I knew someone that acted like a complete smart ass all the time up until he got his ass kicked... in middle school. You're nothing special, trust me. Put on your big boy pants and grow the hell up. I would also like to dedicate this post to the couple other "high and mighty" people just like this guy who really take all the fun out of coming to this forum to have a real discussion about guitars.
woah, buddy take it easy, the problem with a guitar forum is sometimes all you are looking at are awesomely sexy pictures of guitars and stuff. with a hobby like a instrument, you really have to listen to it to really appreciate it. sometimes it can be a little jaded when all you do is look through pages and pages of guitars and it gets boring after a while. people might fall into a routine of saying: "wow, that looks great" or "not my cup of tea" but that's the thing about it, repetitiveness that drones on and on sometimes.

other than that forums are also great places to hang out and meet people with your same interests.
lank81

Post by lank81 »

Found this on Ebay this morning - Cyclone with Double Buckers as well. Delicious Gray Color:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Cyclone-Elec ... _500wt_973
Peace & Chicken Grease
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

The thing about paul is, he's been here long enough to have respect from other members, and when he does his 'witty' remarks, people usually get a lel out of it or 2. I think you won't really accomplish much by getting e-butthurt and ranting.
Bottom line, chill out man, its the internet.

/discussion.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

estaban22 wrote:

Dude, chill the fuck out.

You made a post about an "awesome" mod to a cyclone... and it turned out to just be a couple of coil taps. Literally the most common modification on humbucker guitars, shit many come with coil taps pre-installed. Frankly, that's silly, and you got a friendly ribbing for it. Absolutley nothing to have an e-tantrum about.

And I stick to my initial point. Coil Taps are always useful but push pulls would have been the way to go. Easier to use and wouldn't have ruined the looks of your control plate.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

I'm a fan of splitting coils and even more so a fan of a split pot. The 'inbetween' sound is killer. Here is an old video I did of the Spin-0-split where I used a DMM to show the output of different positions. I have a couple guitars set up this way.
[youtube][/youtube]
*note My midwest accent*
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

I put a spin-o-split in the Les Paul Jr. project I did for my friend mark. He loves it, way more useful on a bucker guitar than a tone pot. IMO at least
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
rodvonbon

Post by rodvonbon »

endsjustifymeans wrote:I put a spin-o-split in the Les Paul Jr. project I did for my friend mark. He loves it, way more useful on a bucker guitar than a tone pot. IMO at least
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. For my style of playing, I never use the tone pot. It stays at full open all the time. For a long time I was disconnecting them on guitars just for the fact that they would get bumped from time to time.
Life is "Pointless......but manageable"
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

rodvonbon wrote:
endsjustifymeans wrote:I put a spin-o-split in the Les Paul Jr. project I did for my friend mark. He loves it, way more useful on a bucker guitar than a tone pot. IMO at least
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. For my style of playing, I never use the tone pot. It stays at full open all the time. For a long time I was disconnecting them on guitars just for the fact that they would get bumped from time to time.
I'm fairly certain any sg/lp or similar I end up with I'll just be replacing the tones with spin-o-splits. Instant versatility.
suede

Post by suede »

the only good cyclone is the cyclone II...move along...

I'll see you in hell with the rest of the trash
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

US Cylones are pretty awesome, too.

Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Re: Awesome Mod for Cyclone HH

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

estaban22 wrote:I'm a bit of a gear whore, but I'll never get rid of this guitar! Here is a picture of my Cyclone HH!:
► Show Spoiler
here is a link to the rest of the pics if you want to see them: http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae12 ... lone%20HH/
Craigslist link to ebay auction

Ebay auction (in case CL post gets flagged)
estaban22 wrote:2004 Fender Cyclone HH, which is the rarest Cyclone model. This guitar is in a rare Orange finish. I've only seen a couple others like it after doing quite a bit of research. Although the guitar originally came with a gigbag, I have purchased a HSC for the guitar. Also, coil taps have been installed which allows you to switch from that beefy humbucker sound to the single coil sound... making this guitar very versatile. Please go to the eBay auction for more information and pictures: see above.

Below are pictures of the guitar. More pictures in the ebay auction... if interested in an off ebay deal, contact me as soon as you can and we'll see if we can work out a deal. If a deal is reached I will pull the auction off ebay. WILL GIVE LOCAL BUYERS A GREAT DEAL. ONLY TWO DAYS LEFT!!!! Thanks!

ImageImage
ImageImage
turns out he had a change of heart?
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Auction ended. I'm assuming you got an offer for it locally.
How much did it end up going for?
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

bro, read harder.

it's not my guitar. it was some random guys guitar, but he's from KC (such as myself). i saw it posted on CL today, but i quoted him as saying he'd never get rid of the guitar, but here it is, a month later, and it's for sale?

color me surprised.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
1,2,3, Pull Out!

Post by 1,2,3, Pull Out! »

I don't know it's a pretty cool alternative to a lot of generic looking guitars.
I hate that colour combo though.