THICK plectrums (everyone loves a tedious plectrum thread)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Dokterrock

Post by Dokterrock »

I keep trying heavy picks, but switching permanently would mean not using my whole arm to strum, which would totally be the right thing to do. Crap.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Dokterrock wrote:I keep trying heavy picks, but switching permanently would mean not using my whole arm to strum, which would totally be the right thing to do. Crap.
I don't understand how the gauge of a pick effects the way you strum? The strumming motion should be coming from the wrist joint rather than the arm - using your arm can lead to some issues if you play for any sustained amounts of time.
Dokterrock

Post by Dokterrock »

Gabriel wrote:
Dokterrock wrote:I keep trying heavy picks, but switching permanently would mean not using my whole arm to strum, which would totally be the right thing to do. Crap.
I don't understand how the gauge of a pick effects the way you strum? The strumming motion should be coming from the wrist joint rather than the arm - using your arm can lead to some issues if you play for any sustained amounts of time.
I strum really heavily. Or hard. A lighter pick lets me get away with it and not break strings all the time. I don't really use the whole arm, but I don't really just use my wrist either. I know, it's pretty poor technique.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Dokterrock wrote: A lighter pick lets me get away with it and not break strings all the time.
This is something I've picked up on quite a bit lately, I rarely have this problem. I only ever broke one string when I was using the 3mm Stubby's, I play very hard as well, I wore down a 3mm from a sharp point the a flat dull line in a single one hour rehearsal once.

Do you guys leave your strings on for ages? That's the only time I ever broke a string, I'd forgotten to change strings on the guitar I took to the gig.
Dokterrock

Post by Dokterrock »

Gabriel wrote:
Dokterrock wrote: A lighter pick lets me get away with it and not break strings all the time.
This is something I've picked up on quite a bit lately, I rarely have this problem. I only ever broke one string when I was using the 3mm Stubby's, I play very hard as well, I wore down a 3mm from a sharp point the a flat dull line in a single one hour rehearsal once.

Do you guys leave your strings on for ages? That's the only time I ever broke a string, I'd forgotten to change strings on the guitar I took to the gig.
I change mine when they start to get dull-sounding. Usually once every couple of months. I also break 9s a lot more often than 10s.
louis
fuckin' A

Post by louis »

Hayley got me a few of these for my birthday as a bit of a joke, but they've actually been one of the best, if not the best pick I've ever used. Thin but extremely rigid and strong.

Twitter: @fearthelivinguk
theshadowofseattle wrote:Nothin' but orange groves and black augs, as far as the eye could see.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Always Dunlop 1mm minimum for me, the dusty blue ones, not the shiny ones. Good grip, good thickness. I like using the triangle types too. Wear down one side, just turn it round. Can't play with anything lighter.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

1.20mm.. great on bass and geetar, proper string control, awwh yeah.

I fucking hate thin picks.
NickD

Post by NickD »

0.96 for me.

Currently using some purple Shortscale ones that Proggy kindly gave me. Otherwise, whatever is about in the right thickness, generally Dunlop.

Not a fan of thin picks either.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Thin picks are ok sometimes on an acoustic--depends on the song. I don't care for them on electric, though. There I usually go for something in the 0.73 to 1mm range. Usually yellow or green tortex, but the Pickboy carbon/nylon ones are my favorite ever. Super-heavy picks feel weird to me, except on bass, but I don't play bass with a pick very often.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

louis wrote:Hayley got me a few of these for my birthday as a bit of a joke, but they've actually been one of the best, if not the best pick I've ever used. Thin but extremely rigid and strong.
you can get ultex ones that don't look so rank. they're a sort of transparent piss-yellow with a rhino on them.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

I still love the jazz III max grips.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Gabriel wrote:I've just ordered some Fender Celluloid Extra-Heavy picks, I'll report back when they arrive.
They sent me the wrong gauge, way too light. Gave them to my dad and he seems to like them, hopefully they'll send me the right ones for free now 8)
willc

Post by willc »

I normally go with dunlop nylon 1mm or fender heavy.
A while ago I sent away for free samples of cast acrylic, which is what some of those pricey picks are made of, and made some of my own with a dremel.
The stuff was 2mm and even though they turned out nice they seem a bit heavy for me.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Concerned that these weren't big enough, I've since bought some 3mm Stubby Triangles, which are like boiled sweet ninja stars. They're great. And huge.

George

Post by George »

Jazz IIIs are great. Very precise. All other picks feel massive now.
stewart wrote:
louis wrote:Hayley got me a few of these for my birthday as a bit of a joke, but they've actually been one of the best, if not the best pick I've ever used. Thin but extremely rigid and strong.
you can get ultex ones that don't look so rank. they're a sort of transparent piss-yellow with a rhino on them.
Stopped using these. I got fed up with dropping them and never finding them again if they land picture side down.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Fender Extra Heavys came, I really like how they feel/sound. They're a bit warmer sounding than tortex's and are much grippier, well chuffed.

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

benecol wrote:Concerned that these weren't big enough, I've since bought some 3mm Stubby Triangles, which are like boiled sweet ninja stars. They're great. And huge.

I've decided I need these. I love the triangle shape and a thicker pick, combine the two and I'LL HAVE THE POWER
[youtube][/youtube]
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
vincel

Post by vincel »

Only last weekend, I was saying to Fran during our little jam session -- which really should have been recorded for MTV, or YouTube at least -- that I continually marvel at the paving slabs folk on ShortScale use for plectrums. I use nylon Dunlop .60mm, which for most of you would probably be akin to playing with tissue paper.
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

i play the 1.14mm ones on both my guitar and basses
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars