Aluminium Jaguar-Style Guitar

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I dunno, the body shape is a bit of a flop to me.
That said, I LOVE that blue and aluminum combo... the switches look cool, and the knobs are great. It's an interesting design.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I still wanna hear a demo of how it sounds.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Doug

Stuttgart inspired

Post by Doug »

http://rodenpannotia.tumblr.com/

http://rodenpannotiaworkshop.tumblr.com/

I'm in Stuttgart for a few months and I'll be going to both the Mercedes and the Porche museums. I'm bettin you been here, NM?

BTW, I noticed the overflow drain in my sink has a little Mercedes Benz logo mounted to prevent objects from being sucked in... :roll: Seriously.

Cheers,
Last edited by Doug on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

My fav part is that headstock. Love the ice blue/pelham blue too. I would say more toronado shape btw.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

The body shape was lifted from a Saturn 63.
Narco Martenot

Re: Stuttgart inspired

Post by Narco Martenot »

Doug wrote:http://rodenpannotia.tumblr.com/

I'm in Stuttgart for a few months and I'll be going to both the Mercedes and the Porche museums. I'm bettin you been here, NM?

BTW, I noticed the overflow drain in my sink has a little Mercedes Benz logo mounted to prevent objects from being sucked in... :roll: Seriously.

Cheers,
I've never been to those museums, but I've been wanting to go.
Doug

Stuttgart inspired

Post by Doug »

Narco Martenot wrote:
Doug wrote:http://rodenpannotia.tumblr.com/

Cheers,
I've never been to those museums, but I've been wanting to go.
I love vintage Porches and that museum's my priority, but people have been tellin me the Mercedes Museum is the better of the two. How can ya lose?

What's kept you from going? Are you CONUS?

Cheers,
Doug
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

I live in the US.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Narco Martenot wrote:The body shape was lifted from a Saturn 63.
Love the shape myself. I think I would like to see a touch less metal on top though. I like that there is a lot of it, but perhaps some curves and more a pickgaurd appearance would be take the edge off it looking quite so industrial?
Doug

Vintage Grand Prix aesthetic

Post by Doug »

Chris Fleming wrote:
Love the shape myself. I think I would like to see a touch less metal on top though. I like that there is a lot of it, but perhaps some curves and more a pickgaurd appearance would be take the edge off it looking quite so industrial?
I agree that would look really good, Chris, and likely would appeal to more guitarists.

NM's an artist, a professional Designer, and I think I see how he chose this more-aluminum aesthetic. I bet he's intentionally referencing the vintage European race cars that sometimes used bare aluminum for fenders, hoods, or entire bodies. They're design icons of high-performance art. He's really stretching, applying this to the electric guitar, but when ya think about it, electric guitars are high-tech, high-performance and can have lotsa visual appeal as well.

Check out the Roden-Pannotia websites and see how he/they applied this to purses... :shock:

Cheers,
Doug
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

Chris Fleming wrote:
I see what you mean, but this was intentionally made to look industrial, and the front was inspired by the cockpit of various things (cars/aviation), hence the labels for the controls and all of the metal.

I'm to the point where I think I dislike nearly every traditionally-shaped guitar and anything made of wood. Most existing guitars take styling cues from cars, and unfortunately (for me) they look like classic American cars; and I really do not like most classic American stuff. It doesn't fit in with anything else that I own or how I live. Everything I own has a specific look to it, from the clothes I wear, to my tools all the way down to my eating utensils -- I'm more or less creating a lifestyle by designing everything I possibly can. So, this was a challenge because I needed a new guitar, had a an existing guitar that I didn't like the look of lying around (but liked how it felt and sounded), didn't want to buy another one because I don't play often enough, and was pretty limited to what I could do with the shape because of the existing body and headstock and having to work around them. So I applied my normal treatment to a more traditional shape, and because a guitar with this sort of shape is very old-fashioned to me, I figured it would only be appropriate to take styling cues from older things that I like. Automobiles that don't necessarily look timeless, but ones that needed to happen in order to progress, and wouldn't look out of place in my living space. I'd like to think of it as an old European Fender guitar, as if the Porsche Studio were making a guitar for Fender in 1955 or so. To me, this is very much an older-looking guitar, a nod to another era, but it should fit nicely with my new designs for guitars and amps, when/if I ever make them.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

It looks like something found in a dead Soviet rocket, floating through space. It makes me think of the art direction from the Fahrenheit 451 movie from the 60s. It looked futuristic, but in a very utilitarian way. Utilitarian could be the new art movement.

I love the idea of working with metal, but I can't imagine ever getting there. An old friend of mine started working in metal. These are indoor bike racks.

Yell Like Hell
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

Nice! Most bike racks are hideous, as are most guitar racks! Who is your friend?
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Narco Martenot wrote:
Chris Fleming wrote:
I see what you mean, but this was intentionally made to look industrial, and the front was inspired by the cockpit of various things (cars/aviation), hence the labels for the controls and all of the metal.

I'm to the point where I think I dislike nearly every traditionally-shaped guitar and anything made of wood. Most existing guitars take styling cues from cars, and unfortunately (for me) they look like classic American cars; and I really do not like most classic American stuff. It doesn't fit in with anything else that I own or how I live. Everything I own has a specific look to it, from the clothes I wear, to my tools all the way down to my eating utensils -- I'm more or less creating a lifestyle by designing everything I possibly can. So, this was a challenge because I needed a new guitar, had a an existing guitar that I didn't like the look of lying around (but liked how it felt and sounded), didn't want to buy another one because I don't play often enough, and was pretty limited to what I could do with the shape because of the existing body and headstock and having to work around them. So I applied my normal treatment to a more traditional shape, and because a guitar with this sort of shape is very old-fashioned to me, I figured it would only be appropriate to take styling cues from older things that I like. Automobiles that don't necessarily look timeless, but ones that needed to happen in order to progress, and wouldn't look out of place in my living space. I'd like to think of it as an old European Fender guitar, as if the Porsche Studio were making a guitar for Fender in 1955 or so. To me, this is very much an older-looking guitar, a nod to another era, but it should fit nicely with my new designs for guitars and amps, when/if I ever make them.
Yup, go for it guv. I like it a lot, just my personal take on it would be somewhat different as I want to design something using a lot a metal myself. Always like the old Framus super strats that were sort of jaguar shaped but with most of the face taken up by a metal plate. Think I go in for shinny shinny more and what not.

I remember at college, my tutors and classmates would always go on about designing guitars to appeal to the larger market, but I couldn't see the point in this. If your designs are any good, someone is going to like them and what's the point in producing a standard product when there are so many already catering to that market. It would seem more fulfilling to me to create more original designs and create your own market for those who are looking for something new or different.

Also, that blue is gorgeous
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

That bike rack looks class
61fury

Post by 61fury »

I love it. Engine turn the top, like Lindy's plane or old racing dash boards. Or engine turn the Pick guard area. Who's your avatar? She's lovely.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

His name is Howard. We went to HS together and lost touch for 20+ years. We bumped into each other a few years ago and realized we had both moved out here around the same time (twenty years ago). He's done some large installations in restaurants. The metal is impressive, but he has also done amazing things with styrofoam. He uses great big blocks of it, cut into any shape. You can give it a hard surface, and make it look like anything you want.

Here he is holding up a piece of no shit styrofoam. Makes you think twice about halloween decorations.

Yell Like Hell
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

hoe-lee-phuck-ing-sh-ite
Narco Martenot

Post by Narco Martenot »

61fury wrote:I love it. Engine turn the top, like Lindy's plane or old racing dash boards. Or engine turn the Pick guard area. Who's your avatar? She's lovely.
Thanks.

The lady is Suzy Parker.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Mike, I've flat out said that you are one of my favorite builder/modifiers. Your work is spot on as always. As an aside, when I was showing my wife the pics you had of FB she asked who you were. I said a guy from the forum, and clicked randomly on one of your pics, to which she commented that you look like the artist's artist. She meant it in a good way. :)