Noob pedalboard/power question

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

i use a voodoo power supply and its fantastic because i can use a fuzz and the power supply has two power slots that you can regulate the amount of power the pedal gets.. so that dying battery fuzz sound is perfect with it
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrotร‚ยดs and pussy party ((run))
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I don't think I can get anything else on there without sorting out pancake jacks and right angled power daisy chains. Which I'd definitely like to do at some point.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nope, still not fixed. Was playing/recording for about two hours just now and thought that I'd noticed my levels gradually dropping as I was going. Unplugged from board and went straight into the computer and all was sparkly clean and good again. So the board was slowly dying, or slowly sucking tone/volume?

The good news is that when it does work, with a bit of stereo-bi-amping courtesy of the OC3 and Memory man, it sounds fucking huge.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Is it just the output volume from your board, or does it sound like the signal is being lost elsewhere, so dirt pedals are getting less gainy, losing top-end, etc?

I'm guessing it sounds as crummy when all of the pedals are bypassed?

When it's quiet and that, does anything make it work nicely again... turning off the pedals or the power source for a few seconds?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sounds much quite, much less top end, even when bypassed. I should have pulled the power for a few seconds and see if that fixed it but I didn't think...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It's tricky that it's a slow problem to manifest, makes it hard to reproduce easily :/

Are you sure it's not your amp?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yep. When it has happened in the past I've unplugged from the board and plugged straight into the amp and been fine, and today I wasn't even using the amp, just going straight into an interface and an amplitube. Again, problem was solved by unplugging from board and going straight in.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Okay, I guess I would set up the board, turn shit on, then go and be busy for a few hours, then come back to see if the problem is there.

If so, go through the board, one-at-a-time swapping out pedals (for something true bypass-y), and then patch cables, using a brand new/decent one as your 'control'.

Are you going through the little built-in patchbay on the board? If so, have you tried just going via the pedal inputs and outputs to the guitar and amp?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

what a strange issue, i hadn't ever heard of a slow power drain like that before...
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:Okay, I guess I would set up the board, turn shit on, then go and be busy for a few hours, then come back to see if the problem is there.

If so, go through the board, one-at-a-time swapping out pedals (for something true bypass-y), and then patch cables, using a brand new/decent one as your 'control'.

Are you going through the little built-in patchbay on the board? If so, have you tried just going via the pedal inputs and outputs to the guitar and amp?
That's what it'll come to I think. I hadn't thought of the patchbay on the board, good shout.