NPD - I finally get a decent overdrive pedal

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

George

Post by George »

it's strat scale on a mustang/bronco style body

addaminsane built and finished the body based on my requirements. solid job he did too. i put it together and wired it. never want to have to do a 6-way rotary ever again.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Finally home, playing around with the overdrive and God, I absolutely adore this thing, and it stacks well before my Behringer Heavy Metal, it really pushes it to feedback squealing heights. I think I'll have to find myself a real Boss Heavy Metal next, after I've saved up for an EHX Superego.

Also sweet guitar, George.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

George wrote:my "bratomaster" which is essentially a low output strat with a jazzy trem

Looks ace. How do you compare its sound to a strat? I wonder how much influence strat bridge actually brings to the sound of strat if any
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

daftsupernova wrote:Finally home, playing around with the overdrive and God, I absolutely adore this thing, and it stacks well before my Behringer Heavy Metal, it really pushes it to feedback squealing heights. I think I'll have to find myself a real Boss Heavy Metal next, after I've saved up for an EHX Superego.

Also sweet guitar, George.

SD-1 into HM-2 is the order of things on my board excellent combo
XY
George

Post by George »

sunshiner wrote:
George wrote:my "bratomaster" which is essentially a low output strat with a jazzy trem
► Show Spoiler
Looks ace. How do you compare its sound to a strat? I wonder how much influence strat bridge actually brings to the sound of strat if any
it definitely sounds stratty enough in my opinion and believe it could pass for one in an audio test. i've actually got a squier cv 50s strat, which has the same pickups and a gfs steel trem block. i'd say a strat bridge may give a bit more bounce and attack and maybe less bass but it's hard to quantify in real terms or validate my opinion because there's variance in how they're set up (bratomaster has 50s wiring, for example).

i think a purebred jaguar/jazzy/mustang bridge would definitely have a noticeable difference compared to a strat bridge though. this has a tune-o-matic so there's a nice amount of low end and sustain retained by comparison.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

^thanks, that's also my thoughts about atack and less bass. I love my strat, but sometimes I wish it sounded a little bit more substantial. Don't want to mess with puting wood blocks inside the trem cavity and stuff. I guess I just need to play it more and that's it. Again the great guitar you have there
George

Post by George »

do you have a steel block in the trem? that definitely makes a difference over the stock zinc one on many models.

also, there's always more powerful picksup etc.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

dezb1 wrote:SD-1 into HM-2 is the order of things on my board excellent combo
Out of curiosity, how do you have your SD- 1 and HM-2 set up?
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I just recorded a hot lofi shoegaze track with an EQ, modulated reverb, this overdrive, and a delay. At first I didn't think I could use it for more than stacking with other drive pedals but alone, I am perfectly satisfied with it.

http://www.soundcloud.com/tremglider/earthquaker-72
Last edited by luciguci on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

George wrote:do you have a steel block in the trem? that definitely makes a difference over the stock zinc one on many models.

also, there's always more powerful picksup etc.
I have Squire with a thin tremolo block, I don't know to be honest what material it is. Anyway I'm not gonna change it, I decided not to mod guitars anymore apart from pickups/electronics. Will play it as it is as I like it for the most part.
George

Post by George »

the stock greyish ones are zinc. id consider the steel block. its a quick cheap swap that makes a big difference in adding bass and sustain in my experience. maybe the saddles too.

also, nice sounds daft
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

johnnyseven wrote:
George wrote:just borrowed fran's recently. i found it thinned out my signal and cut too much bass while adding a midrange graininess to my vox that i couldn't shake off (not AS much as a TS though). it's supposed to be a mainstay for vox amps (that lad from radiohead uses the combination) so maybe i just suck
If you suck George I must do too, I can't get them to work for me either.
I got it to work quite well with my AC30, I couldn't get the TS to work as good, it sounded very boxy. The midrange graininess that you're hearing is the asymmetrical clipping vs the TS with its "smoother" symmetrical clipping. When your tube amp is so loud that it's distorting(see: marshalls) that sound is assymmetrical clipping. You should fiddle with the treble, bass and cut knobs. If the Bass is too high, it will make the amp sound odd and react strangely with pedals, and if the high cut is too low, you may need to turn it up.

Congrats Daft, the SD1 is my favorite overdrive pedal and its versatile as hell. You can stack it with distortion pedals(Muff, Rat, HM-2, etc) and get some really great sounds as you've already found out.