fantastic furry Fredric Effects thread

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Awesome! Thanks for writing such a comprehensive review. Agree with you, the Perc isn't all Shellac-y klang. Some of the nicest sounds are around the mid gain settings. Using an LP and a bassy fender amp I reckon you could get decent Neil Young tonez.

I'm going to link this review when I finally update those testimonials. I posted the link to the Facebook group already. Incidently, I *may* be getting a stockist in Berlin soon, so you'll be able to try the other HP clones if it works out.

n/b I updated the website with some new pics and gutshots just now:
http://www.fredric.co.uk/effects

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

They look proper smart.
kypdurron

Post by kypdurron »

haha :lol: the fuzz-horse was meant to refer to Crazy horse, either the band or the Durham pedal ... I used the HP on a small gig on thursday with my Esquire through a Fender Champ, and somebody also referred to it sounding like Neil Young in some parts. to be honest, I don't know nothing about Shellac, but I thougt about it doing NY sounds from the moment I heard your demo.

Who in Berlin are you in contact with? The usual suspect for stocking such stuff would be Frank Deimel. I'd be surprised if it's somebody else so :wink:
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

kypdurron wrote:Frank Deimel
Yep that's the fella. He's bought a black perc and I've sent him a beige one too to try out. In my dreams my customer base is all in Berlin so I have to move back there to live.

Here's one I made last night. Harmonic Percolator with silky-smooth relay switching. "It's whisper quiet".

Haze

Post by Haze »

Wouldn't a battery fly about and potentially ground the two jacks or summit? What happened to the big dome like switch? Never got the stepped bit i guess? Those things looked killer. Its crazy to see pcbs stacked like that, like a mad scientist you are
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Haze wrote:Wouldn't a battery fly about and potentially ground the two jacks or summit? What happened to the big dome like switch? Never got the stepped bit i guess? Those things looked killer. Its crazy to see pcbs stacked like that, like a mad scientist you are
Nah the battery would have to wedge itself against the jacks and I can't see that happening. Big dome switches are too expensive for now, but will happen in the distant future.

Yep stacking the PCBs is only possible in the percs because the components are on the pot side so half the box is empty. The noise reduction circuit stacks a bit more gracefully than the relay driver:

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Nice and busy design for the Unpleasant Companion screen print. Red on light yellow I think.

Opinions?

endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

love it, reminds me of a concert poster.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
Zack

Post by Zack »

really into the screen print. great color combo.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

+1 on design love, looks great.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Brill, cheers guys! I'm sending the boxes off to the painters this week. 80 Unpleasant Companions coming right up!
benecol

Post by benecol »

Lovely Tim - do red knobs x.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Here's my proto for an Ampeg Scrambler clone with board-mounted pots. Works nifty. Excessive upper-octave fuzzola.

I'ma make a batch of these and see how they sell. If anyone here wants this first one, it's £35 in a plain (small) box.

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I just spent that on a power supply yesterday so I can't :(

How much you looking to charge for them? I'll have some money next month as its my birthday in september and I really want a nice crazy fuzz pedal.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

They'll be £75, same as the Companion Fuzzes I make. However I gotta come up with a clever pun-tastic name and design the artwork so the first batch might be a little way off.

Hmmm... scrambled eggs, spitfires scramble, the shit 80s Amstrad game scramble...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

No worries the longer off the more likely I'll have enough money. Do really want one of these though so I'm excited :D
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I'd jump on this but i'm skint however if someone buys my MBM OCD/DLS I may be all over it.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

johnnyseven wrote:I'd jump on this but i'm skint
+1

call it TRIUMPH after their Scrambler motorbike.

p.s. Tim, I own your old Moogerfooger.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Well someone should have it at £35. Then I can give my little brother a few bob for drilling all those companion fuzz boards ;-)

The moogerfooger with the expression pedal? That rocked ass. I had that until we changed our set at the end of 2006 I think. Definately had it for the gig with Lords in Brighton cos a pic showed-up on Flickr of my board. How you getting on with it? Had much use?
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

timhulio wrote:The moogerfooger with the expression pedal? That rocked ass. I had that until we changed our set at the end of 2006 I think. Definately had it for the gig with Lords in Brighton cos a pic showed-up on Flickr of my board. How you getting on with it? Had much use?
Aye, I've seen Sumlins picture.

I really like it it's a lovely beast, but I tend to end up trying it every time I start up a new project and then eventually taking it out of my pedalboard, but one of these days i'll find it a home. I did get 2 years of use out of it in my noise-punk band though. but since not as much.